Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Affinity nut replacement

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by herrdoktor, May 2, 2011.

1. herrdoktor

herrdoktor Strat-Talker

Feb 15, 2011
    Rome
    Hi.
    I desire to change my plastic nut in my Squier Affinity.
    the nut has particular dimensions. They are:
    Length: 41mm
    Widht : 3mm
    Heigth : not simple to measure (3 or 4 mm)

I don't find any similar nut in the net.

I don't want to work on it much..
    I desire something ready to go...
    Could you help me to find a really good replacement?

2. DynoDave

DynoDave Strat-Talk Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Michigan
    May I ask, what is your goal? Are you wanting something non-plastic? A change in color? Are you hoping to spread the strings a little bit more?

I had a local guitar shop change mine, for the purpose of getting those strings spread a little further apart. It really helped me squeeze my fingers together to get an A chord.

The shop started with what I would call a std. Strat nut in plastic. But it took many trial fittings to get it right...it had to be shorted made thinner (would not fit in the slot....broke the first one trying to make it fit), then after the placement was set, the ends were filed for width (it overhung both sides of the neck), then ultimately it had to be shaved for height, as it left the action too high.

A lot of work for such a tiny little plastic part.

I NEVER appreciated how much "design" there was in the nut. It's angled and beveled in just about every possible direction.

3. herrdoktor

herrdoktor Strat-Talker

Feb 15, 2011
    Rome
    Hi!
    I'm doing some mods on my neck and I will paint it in next days.
    So I asked me:
    "Could I change the nut with a better one?"
    So I found only a Eco nut fw (plastic from all part)...and so I did this thread to a council.
    But I trust in what you say.. and now I'm not sure to change the nut. I've no problem in my guitar (tuning)... so perhaps this change has no reasons.
    What do you think?

4. pforsell

pforsell New Member!

Sep 15, 2011
    Chicago
    Anyone know about this? I'm wondering the same thing. Mainly a floyd rose person so this is new to me.

5. softwarejanitor

softwarejanitor Most Honored Senior Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Central Texas
    Affinities are oddball width necks and require custom made nuts as the OP has found... For a Floyd Rose, you are SOL as far as I know if you want to mount one on an Affinity... I don't know of any locking nut that will fit properly.

6. Tele like it is

Tele like it is Left is right! Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    You can fit a larger nut on the Affinity by filing and shaping (as you would making any othe rnut, BTW). I like the Tusq-XL, but you would need the unslotted one and then just file and fit it.

Pforsell- There are Floyd replacement kits out there to fit a good nut after removing the bad one, I mean the Floyd one...

7. sfcmark

sfcmark Strat-O-Master

Apr 15, 2011
    Georgia
    I've heard of folks using the Tusq pre-slotted Fender spaced nut on the Affinity and filing the overhang from the edges. That may or may not put the E-strings too close to the fretboard for you - it moves them outward ~.8mm per side.

Like Tele said, a Fender bone nut blank can also be fit with filing/sanding.

8. herrdoktor

herrdoktor Strat-Talker

Feb 15, 2011
    Rome
    I've left the old nut.
    I searched but I didn't find a nut with same E-e spacing.
    The width and length can be adjusted, but the spacing is important with the narrow fingerboard.
    You must buy a nut and modify but I read, it's not simple.
    The affinity, has particular dimensions in some part....

9. Tele like it is

Tele like it is Left is right! Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 2, 2010
    Los Angeles
    If you use a blank that isn't pre-slotted, you can do the spacing yourself and put it exactly where it needs to be.

Student: ...But your grandfather's work...
    Dr. Frankenstien: MY GRANDFATHER'S WORK WAS DOODOO!

10. Smack

Smack Strat-Talker

Jun 15, 2011
    catoosa
    love the body hate the neck..

I to have trouble finding parts to fit my indonesia made affinity, I want to change the neck but cant find one to fit correctly . I have a older Korean neck to small.. any ideas on what necks would work?

11. herrdoktor

herrdoktor Strat-Talker

Feb 15, 2011
    Rome
    Oh Smack!!!!
    OMG.
    you don't know....
    I searched for an year to a rosewood neck to replace my maple neck.
    I find it a month ago.
    I bought on ebay and when arrived I can saw that the measures were wrong.
    @!#"!"!!??!!!

But what you ask is simple. Measure the pocket neck (width) and the height of the neck at last fret... The standard is 2" 3/16 and 1".

Here my wrong neck....
    http://www.strat-talk.com/forum/squier-strat-forum/136191-neck-heigth-issue.html

12. stratman420

stratman420 New Member!

Dec 27, 2017
    Colorado
    If you really want to change it, start with a standard strat blank and file and sand it to the identical specs of the existing nut. I tried a Tusk XL pre-slotted standard strat nut and then went back to the original. The spacing on a standard nut puts the e strings too close to the edge of the fret on the narrow affinity neck. I had issues with sometimes pushing the low e to the edge. it is easier to get used to the narrow spacing than it is to change your playing style to avoid the edge.

13. gilpi

gilpi Strat-Talk Member

Dec 30, 2017
    usa
    As others mentioned you can make your own "custom" nut by getting a bigger one and filing it down, not a big deal but I personally don't think you'll notice a difference from a plastic nut to a bone or tusk and if there is a difference, you'll only notice it if you only play open chords.

14. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Synapse2k likes this.