Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Affinity: What wood is it

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by stratmayer, Nov 28, 2017.

Body Wood?

1. Alder

36.4%
  2. Agathis

36.4%
  3. Basswood

18.2%
  4. Other

9.1%
  1. stratmayer

stratmayer New Member!

Nov 28, 2017
    Portugal
    Greetings,

So I'm looking for an alder body for a john mayer black1 relic project (most of the paint is gone and a lot of wood shows) and I came across this HSS loaded Affinity body for around 55 dollars (great deal in Portugal). I know most, but not all Affinity guitars are alder but I wanted to be sure this one is before I order it because the seller is not in my area so it has to be shipped. He sent me some close-up pics of the neck pocket for wood recognition but the paint covers the grain so it's not helping. I noticed some chipping on the holes but I guess that could be normal with low quality alder and also drilling from the other side up. What's you opinion?

Thanks in advance,

Luís

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca

3. Bodean

Bodean You'll shoot your eye out kid Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    I would be more concerned about the thin body of an Affinity.

4. elliotj26

elliotj26 Strat-Talk Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 21, 2017
    indiana
    Why is the thin body an issue?

5. Willie D

Willie D Senior Stratmaster

A full-size trem block will stick out the back. It limits your trem options.

That being said, my old back kind of likes the thin body. But it really does limit your trem options.

6. stratmayer

stratmayer New Member!

Nov 28, 2017
    Portugal
    I don't mind the thin body I have one and it feels comfortable to me. I just care about the wood...

elliotj26 likes this.

7. Bodean

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    You will have to stick with the stock trem. A regular size trem block will stick out the back. GFS makes one that will fit. Even putting in an aftermarket 5 way can be a problem because of depth being shallower in the pickup cavity. Seems I read some have had problems using another neck besides an Affinity as well. I believe most are agathis or basswood depending on year.

8. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I prefer the Affinity bodies, I block trems so that is not a problem, have had no trouble with aftermarket loaded pickguard, and swapped in some kind or other squier neck. I could not care less what kind of wood they are. Wish I had a couple extra lying around.

9. elliotj26

Oct 21, 2017
    indiana
    Gotcha. I can pitch in because I have an affinity with a fender neck and aftermarket 50's style electronics.

I have a regular American fender block but it's ground down to the width of the Squier affinity block. Very nice. Guitar fetish also sells shorter big blocks, as mentioned. I just recently put in aftermarket electronics and, actually, the main problem is the cap on the back of the tone pot. The cap is really big and the pick guard does not rest flush on the body. I will either rout the body to accommodate the cap or desolder it and attach it to short wires. The 5 way is fine.

10. Bodean

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    I have one myself. Just pointing out the differences.

elliotj26 likes this.

11. elliotj26

Oct 21, 2017
    indiana
    Also I thought the affinity was usually either alder or agathis

12. Bodean

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    Just checked Fender specs and they are listed as alder. I don't know if this was always the case.

13. elliotj26

Oct 21, 2017
    indiana
    I think that changed in 2013ish but I had thought they were previously either agathis or alder. Truthfully, I haven't been in the strat game long enough to know anything before that, just what I had read on other forums before starting my partscaster.

Bodean likes this.

14. Bodean

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    Once you put strings on them and plug them in it doesn't matter what wood it is anyway.:D

15. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 24, 2017
    Sharpsburg ,Ga.
    1511919747860-1793478091.jpg

Here's the Affinity bodied ,Standard neck Strat I just finished for my brother . I'm not sure what wood it is ,but the tones are sweet belly music from this things reverberations :0)

The Standard neck fit like it was made for it . Just a tad of polishing the edges with 3000 wet dry and it slide in like it was done n a machine shop .

I believe the joint fit is helping a lot on tone ,because it's like one piece of wood almost .. Or it could be that F stamped plate added to make it more Fendery ...lol

simoncroft likes this.

16. Bodean

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    It's definitely the neck plate.:D

simoncroft and fattboyzz like this.

17. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 30, 2013
    SE England
    If you buy a shallower than Fender standard body, it's also worth knowing it limits your selector switch options to the flatter switches from the Far East. It's maybe no big deal, but an Oak Grigsby or the traditional Fender stock switch won't fit.

Paperback Rocker likes this.

18. archetype

archetype Strat-Talk Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    You can still get a block or full bridge from GFS. Sintered steel block.

elliotj26 likes this.

19. archetype

archetype Strat-Talk Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    OP, here are questions for the seller...
    1. What is the year of the guitar?
    2. What is the body thickness? (To rule out it actually being from a thicker Squier partscaster with an Affinity neck).

20. rich815

rich815 Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

I happen to think modern thick polyurethane plastic-coated bodies affect tone more (in my experience with a few alder tele bodies I’ve had), at least in my experience vs thinner-coated nitrocellulose bodies. That said I have a gorgeous upgraded (tuners, trem, pickups) seafoam green Squier bullet strat which is basswood and it sounds wonderful. Someone did do a major relic on it exposing wood and sanding off a lot of the laquer.