Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Almost All OD's sound bad...

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by gilmourstrat, Feb 6, 2019.

1. gilmourstrat

gilmourstrat Senior Stratmaster

Oct 16, 2012
    Europe
    Thanks. This is great. I have now a clearer reference of do's and dont's :)

heltershelton likes this.
  2. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Texas
    this was the same with all my strats. various ones with stock pickups. the ac30s tone controls are really strange and you gotta mess with them alot to get a good sound. i have the cc2x, so i always blend the channels and get a thicker sound.

gilmourstrat likes this.
  3. gilmourstrat

Oct 16, 2012
    Europe
    I have a CC2X also but, to gigs, I prefer the lighter CC1 with the Neo-Dog speaker :)

heltershelton likes this.
  4. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Texas
    tell me about it....my ac4 didnt cut it the other day so friday i have to cart that beast. i think i need to get the ac15 as well. i dont want to take that 30 everywhere i go.

The-Kid and gilmourstrat like this.
  5. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

The 805 is my favorite overdrive. Close 2nd is a BYOC Klon that I built, but it doesn't have near the gain.
    I really like power tube distortion, but the volume the amp has to be at to get that is too much.

elduderinoTF and heltershelton like this.
  6. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Texas
    yeah, i hate that i got rid of it, i think i was in an experimental thing and trying out all kinds of things. maybe ill get another one.

7. gilmourstrat

Oct 16, 2012
    Europe
    Thanks for answering @Seymour Duncan. Does the 805 can handle "more gain" stuff? For instance something similar to this:

Again thanks for the reply. It's good we can talk directly to big brands :)

circles likes this.
  8. Seymour Duncan

Well, if it was going to an already distorted amp, it would. But that sound is not overdrive, it is straight up distortion.

Robins likes this.
  9. gilmourstrat

Oct 16, 2012
    Europe
    Yes I think it's Big Muff and Tube Driver combined, compression...

By the way: for something similar on a AC30 does @Seymour Duncan have a distortion pedal? :)

CigBurn likes this.
  10. Fretmeltkid

Fretmeltkid Strat-Talker

Feb 10, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Here is my live board
    Monte Alums CS3 into the modded Boss 59 onto the Budda Zenman
    down to the Boss OD20 and Mooer Black Secret (rat clone)
    then finally G2D Cream Tone and noise gate to volume pedal into front of amp
    out the loop into the Monte Alums Boss CH1 and TC Nova Delay (480ms delay for most Gilmour stuff)
    I can get most sounds out of that lot
    forgot to add at the rehearsal studio we've been using all the backline is there and I plug the board straight into an AC30 tone all set middle
    I jump the loop jacks with a patch lead and run the whole lot straight into the front of the VOX, its sounds comparable to my Mesa Boogie

IMG_1434.JPG

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  11. Seymour Duncan

Well, it would either be the Dirty Deed (sort of a Marshall-y thing) or the Palladium.

gilmourstrat likes this.
  12. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-O-Master

Nov 8, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    Tube screamer. Currently my favorite variant is the Dunes pedal from Earthquaker. It has a few different parameters you can adjust to sculpt your sound. I use an AC15.

Wow, never heard of this one. Need to check it out.

13. Bighump

Bighump Strat-Talker

Aug 1, 2017
    Louisiana
    One thing I have found when using Fuzzes (espicially the russian on my amps) is that you have to turn the distortion down way low while pushing the amp some. I had this issue running a Way Huge Russian Pickle into a 67 Fender Bandmaster, it sounded like a can of bees. TO tame it I had to run an OD in front of it(Fulldrive V2 MOSFET) to get the signal right to jive with the amp. I definitely think a compressor will help as was mentioned. I don't have one or I would try it and see. Good luck man, I know you will get there. I can get DSOTM sounds all day ling with that Russian Pickle in my BassBreaker 15. Like I said just turn the gain down and adjust Guitar volume to see where you get.

gilmourstrat likes this.
  14. gilmourstrat

Oct 16, 2012
    Europe
    Great advice. Thanks! :)

Bighump likes this.
  15. heltershelton

Jun 5, 2013
    Texas
    yep. the higher i crank my amp, the lower i set the gain on the od.

Bighump likes this.
  16. Bighump

Bighump Strat-Talker

Aug 1, 2017
    Louisiana
    Anytime hope it helps.

gilmourstrat likes this.
  17. ChrisDowning

ChrisDowning New Member!

Feb 6, 2019
    Devizes UK
    Mostly OD pedals are trying to do too much and live up to their marketing guys verbal hype. So.... just get something simple. I've used a Keeley Modded DS1, and Dunlop MXR Distortion+, a Bad Monkey, and currently a Maxon OD808 - the latest one. And after all that... the Bad Monkey is OK if you are really on a budget - but you'll replace it for sure longer term. The Maxon OD808 is the way to go - dial in just the right amout, adjust the tone a little, and set the boost level - pretty much a one trick pedal you just turn on for solos or leave on for a heavy riff. The MXR Distortion+ is also a one sound pedal - if you want that Kinks "Really Got Me" sound of that riff (was that really Jimmy Page? That's what I heard in 1964. Let's keep that rumour going shall we?)

So Maxon OD808 - the original screamer circuit - boost for solo and dial in how much OD. And MXR Dist+ for heavier - almost fuzz - riffs and power chording. Just don't over analyse and don't spend a lot. You can get way to nuanced about this stuff - audiences never notice. The OD808 is the only pedal I have - reverb is in the amp - I use one amp setting one channel all night (old school) - just kick in the OD808 to lift the solos. The rest is pick ups and fingers.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  18. ChrisDowning

ChrisDowning New Member!

Feb 6, 2019
    Devizes UK
    Yep I'm with you - minimise gear. I use the OD to shape and kick some boost in - the rest is just about playing stuff.

Robins and gilmourstrat like this.
  19. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Yeah this.

While a TS9 goes well with an AC I feel the OD808 is nicer in that it provides tighter bass while it may not have as much gain the tighter bass really brings in a more heavier tone too.

Go OD808, bring up the drive, set voluke at noon and your good.

T Guitar Floyd likes this.
  20. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    I have an AC15 and I have to say OD808 is what your after.

Tried varius ODs with this sucker and really sometimes its as simple as getting a TS on board.

Boss Sd1, OCD, Sparkle Drive etc etc

TS pedals such as a TS9 and OF808 is all I use aside from the MXR Sugar Drive.

A Fuzz Face pairs well with an AC as well.

I say go FF and TS for a Gilmour tone. FF does most of the job, TS finishes it off.

Gilmour did use an FF circuit in Dark Side so there is that.

gilmourstrat likes this.