Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Almost All OD's sound bad...

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by gilmourstrat, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Fretmeltkid

Fretmeltkid Strat-Talker

Feb 10, 2018
    United Kingdom
    These guys nail it on a budget too

circles and gilmourstrat like this.
  2. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2016
    Norway
    Isn't the beauty of the AC30 that mellow push from clean into that non-negative feedback Class A distortion thing? Would not a EQ pedal and a boost tickle the right frequencies for a good drive sound? :thumbd:

3. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I've always been most satisfied with my amps' overdrive, but still use them to punch up sections. You know, that final push over the cliff.

But I tend to gravitate toward amps with succulent native overdrive, such as Mesa, Marshall and Blackstar. Even my current amp, a Supersonic 22, provides all the burn I'll ever need. I find myself not plugging in the crunch pedal that much.

The-Kid likes this.
  4. Wayne

Wayne Strat-Talker

May 6, 2011
    Baltimore
    Dude check out the MXR custom badass od. It sounds good with strats.

gilmourstrat and The-Kid like this.
  5. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    An AC can povide just as good OD. Its just you have to push it to get there either by pedal or natural OD.

I havent been able to get as creamy natural OD as easy as I can with this amp when conpared to others.

Always avoided it because of the Beatles/U2/Queen nastalgia associates with the amp. But after 15 years of playing playing and owned other amps its my go to and main amp having other options Im happy with my AC. In this case AC15.

gilmourstrat and circles like this.
  6. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Agree.

I would recomend either OD808 or this MXR CBA OD, its a spot on TS clone with more control over EQ and mid hump.

I would recomend the OD808 for a no frills answer to a solid OD but would recomend the MXR CBA OD as a close second.

Namelyguitar and circles like this.
  7. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Jun 13, 2012
    Here
    AC30s sound great all right but they’re Class AB, not A.

8. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    :confused::thumbd::whistling:

9. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

Nov 12, 2013
    Southern UK
    My experience with my old AC30 was that it responded well to an overdrive but only if it was already being pushed - i.e. the amp needed to be working hard. Anything below threequarters volume and it was very toppy and clean (which is what an AC30 is for) so all you hear is the fizz of the pedal being amplified.

In my case that was just too damn loud for most occasions so I got rid of it. A decent Gilmour mimic is compression plus TS plus delay into an already driving amp.

10. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2016
    Norway
    Yeah I kind of didn't check the story on that one. In the 90s they were class A (public opinion)!
    Some say Class A clean, AB when they sound good! Played one a few times not my favorite amp.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    The-Kid likes this.
  11. dbbluesproject

dbbluesproject Senior Stratmaster

Nov 3, 2015
    Maine
    Stomp Under Foot - Violet Menace.....check it out!

12. PCollen

PCollen Senior Stratmaster

Feb 13, 2014
    Florida
    Gilmore didn't use a Road Worn with Tex-Mex pickups. If you're going to emulate Gilmore, you have to get close to Gilmore's tools...

13. The-Kid

Feb 15, 2014
    SO CAL USA
    Hahaha.

This is pretty overated. Your ganna have to get a Black Strat....and a tele neck right cuz thats what he used....dont forget vintage pups....duh you need real vintage pups to get the Gilmour tone.

Just no LMAO.

The Road Worn and Tex Mex should cover it along with whatever else OP has. Just need a proper fuzz, and OD and thats 90 percent of it along with a chorus and delay and your there. Maybe a comp but id say its overkill to get a "Gilmour" strat.

If one cant figure it out with a Road worn and some pedals and a decent amp then yeah...no guitar or pup change is going to get you there, at that point its all in the fingers.

14. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Strat-Talker

Sep 23, 2018
    Italy
    I've changed the pickups on my Road Worn because I've had the same feeling as you. Thin and weak sound. Now I have a set of Toneriders Surfaris on my RW50's and it's way better.

gilmourstrat likes this.