Join Strat-Talk Today

Alnico Rods in Ceramic Coils

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by MrYeats, May 15, 2019.

Tags:
  1. MrYeats

MrYeats Senior Stratmaster Vendor Member

I have been trying to find a use for those ceramic pickups that I have pulled off every Squire that I have bought.
    I pulled the magnets off and pulled out the rods that were in the coil. what I do like about these coils is that they are one piece plastic bobbins. The rods come out without interrupting the coil itself.
    I then inserted Alnico III rods and used no magnets, since they are already magnetized.
    Here is a demo of that very deed....Ignore the single coil noise on positions 1,3,and 5...I am too close to and right in front of the amp.

2. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Supposedly, Page added ceramic magnets to the bridge pickup on his "Dragon" Tele, as did Fender on their CS version.
    Couple of square ceramic magnets in the middle and a couple of round ones on the ends.
    Not exactly the same thing... you went from ceramic to ANP, Page went the other way but didn't remove the ANP... but I'd say you're in good company ;)

MrYeats likes this.
  3. effy

effy Strat-Talk Member

That's neat, didn't know you could pull the rods out on those squier pickups. Sounds pretty good actually.

MrYeats likes this.
  4. MrYeats

This did not work out because of the way the bar magnets are charged. The north and south are on the ends of the bar, so, the magnetic field cannot work right. You will get both north and south on each pickup. This is why I just went to alnico rods, which worked out fine. Get the size .195" diameter and about .700" or so length. The first ones, the ones in the guitar on the demo, are .187". I had to use a dab of glue to hold them into the bobbins. I ordered the .195" for the next sets I will build. They should fit tight.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  5. hobdybob

hobdybob Strat-Talk Member

where did you buy them?

6. MrYeats

7. hobdybob

hobdybob Strat-Talk Member

thank you. i think a good source when you would want to mix some alnico in 1 pickup ore use different magnets in a strat set.
    but expensive and shipping is to.
    so i think when i see ads like this
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=202367054593

you are cheaper out, and hopefully have a better match with magnet/winding combo.
    because you don't know the effect off the magnet strength with the combination off the windings in de old ceramic pickups?

MrYeats likes this.
  8. MrYeats

alnico III has no cobalt so the strength is lower than other for example alnico II or alnico V. This allows the string to not be interfered with because of too much pull from the magnet. The sustain and natural tone will be better. Plus I like the way they sound. On my meter the strength is about 3.5k.

9. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Strat-Talker

good stuff Mr. Yeats, I all ways enjoy your post's.

MrYeats likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.