Join Strat-Talk Today

"Alnico V HB90" that is ceramic pickup

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by rrr969, Jan 15, 2019.

1. rrr969

rrr969 New Member!

I bought one
    "Alnico V HB90"
    golden bridge pickup from aliexpress, and it was as if with metal inside if you look from holes beneath, but if you disassemble them you will discover two ceramic bars. Description definitely and brazenly lying says Alnico V.

They sell them on aliexpress Stores:
    Tomwin Outdoor Store
    and
    Haofang Outdoor Store

Description:
    If you're looking for some single-coil snap and twang, from your humbucker equipped guitar, take a look at the Vanson
    Alnico V 'HB90'. A fat P90 single coil in a standard humbucker sized body.
    Our P90's are a perfect mid-ground between
    a humbucker and a traditional single-coil.
    Thick and full without sounding muddy, but not overly bright.
    With plenty of mids, your clean and crunch tones will have more definition, allowing your chords to ring out.

Specification:
    Condition: New
    Color: GoldBridge, GoldNeck, SilverBridge, SilverNeck
    Dimension: 7x3.7x2cm
    Wire Length: 39cm
    To Fit Guitar: LesPaul
    Type: Pickups
    Parts Type: HB90

Same as Vanson AlNiCo V P90, Humbucker size Single Coil Pickup, HB90

Search "1Pcs Alnico V P90 Guitar Pickup Set Humbucker size Single Coil HB90" pictures and you will find this sham pickup everywhere, f.i. on ebay.
    Brand:
    Liumy
    Wire Length: 39cm MPN:
    pNt1734521
    Dimension: 7x3.7x2cm Parts Type: HB90
    Manufacturer Part Number:
    pNt1734521
    To Fit Guitar: Les Paul

They really are ceramic pickups, two magnet bars inside are wrapped in foil to mimic metal. First pictures are copied from ads, and after are two my photos with pickup open. Most common names for them are Zebra and Vanson.

Attached Files:

2. Willie D

Willie D Pentatonic Hack

P-90 pickups are constructed with Alnico bar magnets. Are you absolutely sure those bars are ceramic?

3. fezz parka

fezz parka The Return of the Red Helmet Strat-Talk Supporter

Moral of the story is: Don't believe what they say about an item on Alibaba.

Doug B and Willie D like this.
  4. jjlemon

jjlemon Strat-Talker

They're on ebay as well, Vanson HB90. The owners of 'Vanson guitars' might not know they are not alnico. Their website is not functioning, although they have a store on ebay.

There were forum (not this forum) rumours that Vanson pickups were Artec made, like many others cheapish brands. But I can't imagine Artec doing this ie, faking an Alnico magnet by wrapping a ceramic in foil. Seems more likely a cheap generic Chinese made pickup of dubious quality. Perhaps the ones bought directly from Vanson are Alnico? That said some people rave about them.o_O

I tend to buy low cost pickups, but try to stick with Artec's own brand, or more recently WSC music Roswell pickups. They're not the cheapest of the cheap, and hopefully they are what they say they are. I wouldn't risk buying anything from Alibaba, I'm just a little risk adverse.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.