Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Am I dumb? Are these ads scams by the sellers?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by larscaster, Dec 6, 2017.

1. larscaster

larscaster Strat-O-Master

Feb 19, 2016
    West Jordan, UT
    A couple of weeks ago there was a local classified ad that had a 2000 mim and cheap amp for $100.
    In the ad the seller said her BIL had left her the stuff and she just wanted to get rid of it.
    I responded immediately of course, to a cell phone #, and the seller said she had put the price too low and would repost the ad at a higher price. In 20 minutes the ad was gone; no follow up ad appeared.
    Then last night there was another ad posted with a different name and cell#, again a woman who this time said her grandma left her an old acoustic guitar.
    The seller wanted $20 for it.
    Looking at the sound hole in the pic I saw it was an old Gretsch with a hand written four digit serial number.
    I was out of town so I didn’t respond but within ten minutes the ad was removed.
    Are these people scamming?

2. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    They probably got a lot of calls and realized the price was too low. Now they are looking at Ebay and trying to value it, probably way too high. It will get relisted at a higher price and not sell.

3. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

Sep 26, 2015
    Mukilteo
    There is a CL scam whereby motorcycles are advertised for absurdly low prices. They try to get enough personal info out of you to steal your identity.

john lavelle likes this.

4. larscaster

larscaster Strat-O-Master

Feb 19, 2016
    West Jordan, UT
    I’ve seen more than those two, and it just seems strange it’s always a woman that got something “left to her”.

5. GuitarPix

GuitarPix Senior Stratmaster

Oct 21, 2013
    Calgary
    I'm not exactly sure why I'm thinking this other than some other scam I heard about - but check your phone bill for the next couple of months.

TangerineDog likes this.