Join Strat-Talk Today

Am I the only idiot?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by TimTheViking, Mar 14, 2019.

1. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Strat-Talker

I posted this in the Squier-Talk forum so apologies to anyone who read it there...

So how many of you guys gig and actually have a need for a stack or a combo 212 type amp? I've been looking through the "Show us your amps" thread and I see there's a lot of you guys with some pretty heavy duty stuff. I went out and bought a Line 6 Valve 212 MKII for $200. Not a 112, but a 212. Two 12-inch Celestion Vintage 30s in this beast. 40 watts of tube power that sounds like it could fill Shea Stadium if necessary. It was nearby, the price was good and it sounded great. But it is so loud! I'm thinking, why did I do that?

So am I the only idiot who bought/overbought an amp to use as their primary amp that is better suited for an outdoor or large hall venue than a room in your house? Please tell me I'm not alone in getting something that would be akin to Kenworth pulling a trailer with a push mower on it.

dueducs, Groovey, Nate D and 3 others like this.
  2. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

Your not alone. Of the 5 amps I have, none are suited for home use and I don’t play gigs.....:rolleyes:

I compensated for quiet playing with an iRig now but used BiasFx before.
    Why do we overbuy...well IMHO the Marshall stack in the living room is just plain AWESOME and I can keep the zombies from climbing the stairs with the sheer air movement from the speakers with power chords...

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  3. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

I like smaller, more usable amps myself. I've got a 5f2a (Princeton Tweed clone) at about 5 or 6 watts I believe that can be surprisingly loud (gotta love Class A amps!) but can double that up with my Princeton '68 Custom at 12 watts. Both have 10" speakers and are more than enough for all my needs.

Both amps are small, light, and sound great. Why would I need a 212?

If I am going to run two speakers, I like the idea of running them through two different amps to give a bit more texture to the tone, but who am I kidding? I'm just playing around having fun with it at that point.

From one perspective, you're not alone in that even these amps are a lot for in the house and "more than I need", but again, they're a lot of fun.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  4. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

I got a Hot Rod DeVille 4x10 years ago and i was no longer doing the band thing so it was an apt amp LOL

it was $500 so i couldn't pass it up... practically brand new.

It got stolen though.

One time i forgot the amp was in standby mode at 4 in the morning after being at the local pub all night and deciding to have a play. Scratching my head trying to sort out why there was no sound. Had the Master volume at full blast because i was trouble shooting between gain and Master volume. Oh yeah... the standby is on. Forgot to back the volume way down and flipped the standby off.... total Marty McFly at 4 am. I think i woke all of Brooklyn up.

That amp weighed a ton. Not saying i'm glad it got stolen but I do hope the perps hurt their backs and died a thousand fiery deaths when they turned it on.

Groovey, Otisblove, BigNorm and 5 others like this.
  5. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

My biggest amps are a 50 watt '70s Peavey 212 Classic and a 30 watt Silvertone 1484 head that I made a 212 cabinet for. I got both in the '70s when everyone I knew thought high power was important. Nothing I've bought or built since then has been over 15 watts, but a 2x12 cabinet sounds better to me than a 1x12, having more and cleaner low end, so I don't feel guilty about the 2x12 part.

6. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Nope!!! you aren't alone. about 7 years ago I bought a Peavey Supreme 160 with a Marshal 4x12 cab. That amp was so loud that I could have blown the ears out of every person at a Wimbley Stadium show. I never could turn it up past 1/4 on the master volume. Plus the head alone weighs 68 pounds. I don't know what I was thinking at the time since I was still healing my broken leg at the time.:confused::confused::confused:

7. CephasG

CephasG Senior Stratmaster

I have an 18 watt tube amp as my main amp and I overbought for sure. My main gig is a music-room-at-home gig. So there.
    I am now thinking of correcting this by selling the amp and getting something like the Positive Grid Bias Mini. That again might be an overkill for what I do, of course.

Big tuna and TimTheViking like this.
  8. JaxStratGuy

JaxStratGuy Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

I've done ok on the guitar side. I'm topped out at 15W. On the bass side I probably overdid it. I started with a 25W. Returned it for a 40W. Returned it for a 100W. Returned it for a 500W. Mooooooore pooooooower! :D I ended up blowing the 500 by shorting the speaker cable and downgraded to an all-tube 250W.

Otisblove likes this.
  9. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

At home i use a little roland micro cube.
    At rehearsal ( medium size room) i use my ZT lunchbox with a few pedals.

At gigs i use a 50 watt Marshall and 2 x12s.

In all three scenarios, I'm to loud for everyone (except myself).

Seriously, sometimes i wonder why I bother to flip the switch on.

At one gig (this is 100% a true story), we had placed our gear on stage.
    About an hour before show time (we don't get soundchecks and other luxuries like that).

I set my rig up, but we didn't yet have power to the stage, so i tuned up my guitars, laid all of my stuff out how I like it, etc.

I come down off of the stage to use the restroom and an older woman stops me to say :
    "Oh my goodness, you are too loud "
    I smiled and gave a little confused chuckle, she said...... "no I'm serious, could you please turn it down ".

Now I'm really confused. I said, ok sure. No problem.
    As I'm thinking "what in the hell?"

Well, it turns out she meant the DJ.
    She thought i was the DJ.

But that was an awkward 30 second conversation.

Groovey, simoncroft, felis and 5 others like this.
  10. Neilena

Neilena Strat-Talk Member

Had a Roland JC120 set up in my 12 X 12 music room. LOVED the sound, it filled the room with sweet tones with volume at 1 or below. Now have a Roland Cube 80XL that sounds ok. My Vox Mini 3 though, kicks it. Fender Custom Deluxe Rerverb was pretty good but that loud hissing bothered my ears. Still searching for an amp that with 12 inch speaker, not heavy, great clean tones, takes pedals well.

11. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

At home, I feel already overwhelmed by the power of my 5w amps and my 2x10 cab !

So don't talk to me about these beasts...

12. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

My living room amp is a 75w silverface Fender Bassman. I built an L-pad attenuator for it so I can play it at reasonable volumes; without that it would peel paint off the walls before it gets any distortion. It's not idiocy, it's genius!

owenmoney, JamesE and Big tuna like this.
  13. space

space Strat-Talker

I keep twins and super around 2 on the vol scale
    If i need a little dirt use a pedal
    T

owenmoney likes this.
  14. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

I did the same thing with HRD's and Blues Deluxe. Now I have a 12 or so watt 5e3 and all is right with the world. Loud enough for use with my band and works at home too. I will still probably get a 5 watter which will be even better for home use.

dueducs likes this.
  15. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I used to gig with a Super on one side and a 40-watt Mesa 4x10 on the other side. Perfect for clubs and even outdoors. Probably never had either above 7 even outdoors. Still have the Mesa and it sounds good even at low volumes. I just bought my first low-watt amp, a Marshall DSL1 HR with 12" cab. Loving it although I can't seem to get used to natural tube breakup at high settings. I'm so used to using pedals or high-gain channel, I just have never played any of my amps at a setting where I get natural breakup on the clean channel.

Sarnodude likes this.
  16. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

See I much prefer to use lower watts (Princeton, Deluxe or Champ) and get real tube dirt and use my volume knob to go between clean and dirt. Sounds much more natural and organic to my ears. Plus if I ran a twin or Super on 2 I'd feel like I wasn't using 80+% of the amp.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  17. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

At this point in my life I'm past the 'make them deaf with sheer volume and power (and go deaf in the process)' and into ''what is the best sound I can get with the smaller, most quiet setup?''. The Blues Deluxe Reissue is so damn loud, I barely use it. If I used it on the Moon people would hear it from Earth. I can't think of one situation in which this amp wouldn't be more than enough.

But I'm playing mostly at home these days, so I just use a little Vox thing with an 8-inch speaker that I think sounds good enough.

Hendrix sounded glorious with his Marshalls at full volume, sure. But I'm not trying to compete with him. Guys who like Marshall stacks cooking, nothing against them. If they have the goods, why not use them. If their ears can handle it, more power to them. Mine can't.

18. Sonicboom

Sonicboom Strat-Talk Member

I use a 10 watt for practice, then a mustang 1, 20 watt for playing songs. I've hooked up to bigger amps, but found they just don't sound well at lower volumes. This mustang 1, about perfect for an apartment, room, or garage. So i guess my amp shopping is done, until i take another crazy pill. Lol, never know what, when, the voices will start telling me i need to buy next. It's a real sickness. Good to hear other sick guitar people are making bad decisions. Im not alone, thank god.

Mankonis likes this.
  19. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Well, currently I'm 'between bands', as usual ha ha, so my Supersonic 22 is arguably overkill for home use, at least at my house. However, it is portable enough to go to jams at Bootstrap* practice rental space. My Blackstar Fly would not hold up to a drummer!

I love the Marshall stacks at the practice space, ooo la la, but no way I see lugging that stuff around. I relegate that to pro use where people move your stuff around for you.

*Bootstrap almost burned down a while back, but re-opened. The room I like to rent used to be a bank safe! Plus it comes with a full line, piano included in this room. Plus it's a cool odd shape, shown here without the back line set up, but shows the room overall:

editing-room.jpg

20. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

i had an amp that could switch between 5, 15 and 30 watts and even the 5 watt setting was enuff to get comments from the neighbors.

so i sold it and bought an even louder non master volume 20 watt amp.

god bless america!

owenmoney, nederemer, circles and 8 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.