Join Strat-Talk Today

Am I the only idiot?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by TimTheViking, Mar 14, 2019.

1. StratGuyBri

StratGuyBri New Member!

This is a really interesting and timely thread for me. It’s something I’ve been struggling to find a good solution to over the last few months.

By way of context, I’m currently playing in a couple of classic rock bands whose goals are to play out at local pubs. I have a wide range of amps from a small Blues Jr through to Marshall 100 watt heads/cabs and combos (JCMs and JVMs). The challenge has been to find a “right sized” solution for this situation. I’m past the point of lugging large cabs and 100 watt heads around to practice, and am more focussed on the band playing well than loud volume wars. I find you just can’t “open up” a 50 or 100 watt amp to have it sound good without being far too loud.

Given this, I’ve just bought a new Marshall DSL 20 head, which so far seems about right in terms of volume. It also provides the multiple channels, reverb, and effects loop I want. I’m now focusing on getting the right cab to complement it. I have a couple of 1x12’s (including open (G12H) & closed (V30) back pine cabs I’ve made). So far, I seem to be settling on the G12H open back. The smaller head and light pine cab certainly makes it easy to move around. All I need to do now is to figure out how to dial in the Ultra Gain channel to not be too compressed in the mix.

Interested to hear how others are tackling this...

2. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

An easy solution to "too much amp for the venue" is to turn the 4x12 to face the wall, leaving only enough room for the mic.

This lets you push the speakers to their breakup point, without overpowering the house.

3. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

When I worked in pro audio sales, one thing I was always telling the guys: "If you don't hear any sound, work out what isn't routed correctly. Don't turn up the volume, as if that will fix anything, then work out the problem. If you blow the cones on any of the monitor speakers, I'll sell them to you at cost..." :sneaky:

JustABluesGuy, Chont and ZlurkCorzDog like this.
  4. jeff h

jeff h Senior Stratmaster

Of the 3 tube amps in the basement, the only ones that get used are the 30 or 40 watt 112s. the 120 watt 212 just sits as a backup or in case someone calls and needs for me to play at a stadium. :whistling:

Stratbats likes this.
  5. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

It's not whether you DO gig, it's whether you COULD gig. If asked to, you could gig.

Purchase justified.

6. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog ALSO BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

30w×3

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  7. roadhog96

roadhog96 Strat-Talker

A 40W amp is loud but it’s no where near big enough to fill a stadium. A 40W amp isn’t twice as loud as a 20W amp. A 10W amp turned up to high inside a closed up closet will blow your ear drums. How big is your room your using.

I’ll give you a little hint, no 10W, 12W, 15W or even a 20W with a single 6”, 8”, 10” or 12” speaker is going to come close to sounding as good as a 40W+ 2X12 amp unless they are miked into a larger sound system. The more speakers, the more air movement, the better the sound.

If you haven’t figured it out yet the control knob on the amp that says Volume turns both ways, if its to loud turn it down. Or leave it turned up and turn down the guitars volume. Either way they put volume controls on them so you can adjust the level to suit your needs.

If you ever get a chance to play with a few other people and there's a loud drummer you’ll be glad you have a 40W or you might just as well stay home because nobodies going to hear you with anything smaller. I just finshed playing for about 1.5 hrs with my Pro Reverb, 40W 2X12 no problem here. I used the volume control on the guitars I was playing. The amp was on 4 the whole time but it wasn’t to loud. Now if I was to turn the guitar up you bet it would be way to loud.

8. esseff

esseff Strat-Talker

Still have to lug lt there!

9. Big tuna

Big tuna Strat-Talk Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I have a 007 Bass breaker i use and love. My PRRI gets lets use but it is the best sounding amp i have owned.

10. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Doesn't everyone...
    Sooner or later...

My first was a Peavey Classic 50 2x12
    Gorgeous sound
    Great reverb
    80 lbs....

Loud didn't bother me...
    Moving it did...

Sadly, sold it

11. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster Strat-Talk Supporter

More is more.
    If I have to bring my own gear I am happy to bring my Blackmore and a 4x12.
    Reason is simple - I know it will sound great at any volume level.
    I have to add that I have a light weight cab. It is actually lighter than the ENGL Blackmore itself.
    I love the kick of a halfstack.

Having said that a small Friedman Pink Taco 20W head and a 1x12 small cab may soundwise even be better but I also need the look of a badass halfstack. Including the push from behind.

All the best,
    Robin

12. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You are not alone.

A338B4BE-5EDE-4C92-9409-0582BBD1C5E0.jpeg

Even my 22w 1X12 DRRI is much more amp than I really need. I don’t care!;)

But it did get turned all the way up to 3 1/2 at last weekend’s Euroguestock jam!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
  13. Stratimimus

Stratimimus Strat-Talk Member

I use either a 50W 1x12 Carvin Nomad or a 40W 1x12 Fargen Blackbird these days on gigs, and they can get pretty loud. But there's this thing called a volume control that comes in handy. Considering what my bedroom practice amp (that ominous, shadowy beast in the background) was at age 14, I'd say I've made some progress. FullSizeRender.jpg

ZlurkCorzDog and Stratbats like this.
  14. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

I sure hope so.

If I ever find that my rig is getting out of the house by itself, I'm having it put down.

15. TimTheViking

TimTheViking Strat-Talk Member

The room is about 12X18 so it's pretty good size. I think I need the guitar to be able to be at full volume so the guitar input can overdrive the preamp when needed. Yup, there is the channel volume and the master. But with the master just barely on, it's really loud!

16. davidKOS

davidKOS over 48 years playing gigs Strat-Talk Supporter

Don't go by me - last week's jazz gig at a small restaurant/lounge was played on this:

[​IMG]

17. michaelinokc

michaelinokc Strat-Talk Member

My first tube amp was a Peavey Valveking 212. Never could turn it past three at home - it was a 100 watt amp. Now I have several amps, all 30 watts or less.

ZlurkCorzDog likes this.
  18. candyapple1964

candyapple1964 Senior Stratmaster

2x12 greenbacks in a narrow Marshall open back. 100 watt super lead jmp with a great sounding master volume mod.

I run it cleanish with various pedals for overdrive, boost etc.

Its easily transported. Versatile in small or large venues.

I have found its got oomph to get natural and controllable feed back and sustain using my 64 strat. A smaller amp is nice of course but its a different sound and feel. Do have dr champ super reverbs.

Small amps are screamers if you want it. At the moment my larger marshall is want I want. Power used wisely :)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

19. 33db

33db Strat-Talker

You can use any amp at home with a load box or an iso cab, 100 watts at home? no problem.

20. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I like your attitude good sir

henderman likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.