Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

"American Original" replacing American Vintage?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by tealsixtysix, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Fuzzpop

Fuzzpop Ryan-Ola Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    Didn't Gibson decide to discontinue its Custom Shop Historics/Reissues and do just one for the 50s and one for the 60s? I remember a 100 page thread over on MLP, but I can't remember the conclusion.

2. Folk_Hogan

Folk_Hogan Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2016
    Los Angeles
    The newest version of the AVRI ‘52?Tele is one of my favorite guitars Fender has ever made. Comfy neck, vintage radius, vintage frets..

Curious to see how the new “50s” tele stacks up.

I played the “60s” version and it was great. I didn’t even notice the radius or frets.

nutball73 likes this.

3. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Exactly. Personally I can live with 9.5" radius, but bigger frets are a big no-no. I understand that some people prefer them, but the folk who buy AVRIs tend not to. To abandon the "vintage" market seems ridiculous.

Why don't they just stop fiddling with stuff that works? :rolleyes:

4. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster

Aug 30, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    That's what some folks here said a little over a year ago about the end of the American Standards.

Hasn't happened.

With 35 years worth of used AV/AVRIs on the used market, it's unlikely to happen this time either.

If this is for real, here's what Fender is probably thinkibg: The vast majority of vintage-type Fenders ordered from the CS are built with 9.5" radius and 6105 frets. CS guitars with 7.25" and vintage frets are slower to sell, and get less money on the used market.

I look at this as... they're making NOS CS-spec reissues available at the AVRI price point. I suspect sales will rise vs the current AV line, and used AV/AVRIs will continue to be plentiful and affordable.

5. tealsixtysix

Aug 30, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    Probably because the number of players who really want true vintage-spec Fenders is declining.

Brucifer85 likes this.

6. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Antisocial Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Were that true, there'd be no market for the classic series either.

7. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    It could also be that Fender is eliminating some of the AV lineup based upon what sells - they could be going down to the AV '52 Tele, AV '56 Strat and AV '65 Strat only - somewhat similar to what they had in the AVRIs from 1982 until late 1999 (when they added the '62 Custom Tele, '62 Jazzmaster and '62 Jaguar to the series). I would assume that they might keep the AV '65 Jazzmaster and AV '65 Jaguar since there is a lot of interest in offsets these days - as long as they were selling okay.

8. tealsixtysix

Aug 30, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    I didn't say "no market," I said a declining market.

And I don't know what the sales numbers are like for Classic Series vs Classic Player, but Fender does.

9. Thrup'ny Bit

About 20 to 1 locally... :)

10. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Really? I'm surprised.

11. Thrup'ny Bit

So was I, I thought it would be lower than that, I bought a classic player... :confused:

12. tealsixtysix

Aug 30, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    Not quite. It looks like Fender is planning to announce this new series at NAMM. They have sent info to all their dealers, and the dealers are SUPPOSED to keep it secret until the official announcement, but this dealer screwed up and put it online early.

This has happened before, which is why I went hunting for it.

13. dazco

dazco Strat-Talker

Oct 5, 2017
    california
    Well, if thats the case as far as im concerned itls good news assuming they are basically reissues with a flatter radius and medium fret wire. Thats something i think most people would prefer and those who prefer 7.25 would be nearly as happy with 9.5/medium. The other way around rarely works. But hopefully they will keep the current RI's too. I can't imagine why they wouldn't.

Bluestrat83 likes this.

14. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Strat-O-Master

Jan 17, 2016
    Ecuador
    If American original is basically the same as the thinskins I’m in. I have been gassing for one of those all year, that’s the strat I want right now and for me is the 59 reissue wildwood spec but I was afraid that by the time I get the money they become unavailable. I just love the whole thing slab board, bigger Frets and 9,5 inch radius plus nitro finish, chunkier neck, etc . If this is a fact and the thinskin is not available I’ll be ready for them to take my money sometime in 2018.
    I doubt that the vintage correct reissues will become unavailable but I agree that they might be up to something with this whole thing... maybe they will become part of the custom shop to charge more $$$

Last edited: Dec 31, 2017

15. Fuzzpop

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    I think it would be great to have 9.5/medium jumbo versions of the AVRIs. I know there are a fair number of people out there who would buy them. BUT...I would never endorse that move at the expense of vintage spec AVRIs. If there can only be one set of reissues I'd want them to be 7.25 with vintage frets. I really don't see why Fender couldn't also do an American "modern vintage" or something like what Wildwood does.

Thrup'ny Bit and Bluestrat83 like this.

16. Gilmourfan75

Gilmourfan75 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 28, 2013
    myrtle beach via ny
    On mfriend, avri are all marked down by around $400.

17. DeadCircuits

DeadCircuits Strat-Talker

Aug 25, 2016
    GB
    Wow I really hope they don't phase out the AVs they are great. Glad I got two if that is the case!

I can see a market for vintage esque Strats with more modern fretboards, but not at the expense of the vintage accurate ones!

Fuzzpop likes this.

18. pinkoboe

pinkoboe Strat-Talk Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 18, 2009
    USA - San Francisco
    I feel like the reason why we don't see too many AVRI's around is the lack of color choice. Each version was only available in 2-3 colors, and they never changed those over the life of the product. Seriously, how hard would it be to do a different custom color each year? Although I like the specs of the new original series, those linked ads seem to indicate they continue to only offer 2-3 colors each which is disappointing. Particularly because I want a Fiesta Red one!

19. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts
    It's probably too low volume to do too many colors. We know what we want, but I'm sure they have all the data they need to know the economics of the value of continuing the line. I only hope to be able to pick up a good 56 (or 59) to go with my 65.

20. Fuzzpop

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    I will say that this news (whether true or not) has spurred me to complete my goal: Owning a sunburst version of every productION AVRI/U.S Vintage Strat from 54-65. (Meaning one guitar from each reissue year, not every reissue that's ever been done, so 12 guitars total or 13 if I decide count the maple and rosewood '59s as two.)

sonny wolf likes this.