Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

"American Original" replacing American Vintage?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by tealsixtysix, Dec 29, 2017.

1. FormerTeleGuy

FormerTeleGuy Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2013
    Oak Lawn, IL
    So glad I don't need any more guitars.

Fuzzpop likes this.

2. Fuzzpop

Fuzzpop Ryan-Ola Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    I mean, none of NEED more guitars...

3. Bluestrat83

Bluestrat83 Strat-O-Master

Jan 17, 2016
    Ecuador
    As I said before and apart from the fact that I will certainly dig this new line I’ve been thinking about this all these days and since we are speculating I think that is totally possible that the avris will pass to the custom shop. And as someone said before they will invent something like Gibson did with their reissues: more vintage correct plastics or hardware (due to molecular reproduction of vintage guitar details). Of course they will charge more. Maybe the avris were just too good for the money and they realized that they can make more profit out of them.

Tone Guru likes this.

4. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    I think this is the most likely scenario. You want vintage correct? You can have it, but you're gonna pay for it.

Bluestrat83 likes this.

5. Fuzzpop

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    Yeah this does seem logical. Though it also kinda bums me out. I loved that Fender offered a pretty correct reissue for ~2k. I’ve had Gibson R0s and R9s and though they’re stunningly good guitars, they’re just sooooo damn expensive!

Bluestrat83 likes this.

6. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    They started out with offering a different custom color each 12-18 months. The AV '64 Tele was in Lake Placid Blue for the first year, then in Candy Apple Red for about 18 months with a short run of Fiesta Red for the US market and Dakota Red for the EU market.

The AV '65 Strat had a Dakota Red for year one, then a Shoreline Gold with a matching headstock for a while, and a short run of Burgundy Mist mixed in as well.

The AV '59 Strat had a faded sonic blue for the first year, and the AV '56 Strat had a shell pink for the first year.

I guess they just stopped selling as well as they did for the first 2-3 years so they stopped rolling out other colors periodically, leaving us with only sunbursts, black (for the AV '56), etc. It seems like only the AV '52 Tele really sells well year-in and year-out.

Fuzzpop likes this.

7. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    They followed on from the colours used on the Custom Shop guitars which were similar (identical?) to the AVs that replaced them. So the CS63 Teles came in white blonde, LPB & CAR, & these colours were also offered on the first run of the AV64 Teles. And I think that the CS65 Strat was offered in Dakota Red, & I know it was available in LPB as I had one.

Fuzzpop likes this.

8. tinman1

tinman1 Strat-Talker

Nov 29, 2011
    Scotland
    It’s possible but I struggle to see it that way. I suspect it’s more along the lines of customer demand and proper vintage spec guitars are increasingly unpopular. If anything I’m surprised because what they’ll effectively be doing by offering these spec combinations.....nitro finishes and vintage appeal with modern playability features.....is undercutting the custom shop. Most custom shop offerings have these vintage / modern features, presumably as they are desirable enough to attract a more premium price. I always thought that’s why Fender ditched the AV hot rod line..too close to therefore undercutting/ undermining the CS.

I’m slightly annoyed as I recently built a partscaster with these specs having missed out on the AV hot rod range!

velvet_man and Bluestrat83 like this.

9. 80sGuy

80sGuy Strat-Talker

Dec 4, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Thank goodness I struck when the iron was hot and grabbed my AVRI when I had the chance!

10. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    AVRIs were made from 1982 to 2012. I doubt if used examples are going to become rare at any point in our lifetime!

11. Fuzzpop

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.

12. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster

Aug 30, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    Update: an American Original Jazzmaster has been spotted. (Also a 60th Anniversary Jazzmaster.) The offset board thinks it should have a matching headstock, and I agree, but it's nice to know it exists.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BdgJsvhHd-z/

jofish and Bluestrat83 like this.

13. Fuzzpop

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    I wonder how Fender feels about that Instagram post since it's likely there is an embargo on releasing info about these guitars pre-NAMM. Of course, it could also be a well orchestrated marketing plan on Fender's part...

tealsixtysix likes this.

14. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Isn't the name likely to cause great confusion? If someone told me that they had an American Original 62 Strat, I would assume that they meant one made in 1962 - that's what the word "original" usually means in this context. Is this confusion accidental or is it intentional? It certainly won't be helpful for clarity.

ryapou, Neil.C, Dalendl and 1 other person like this.

15. oldspot

oldspot Strat-Talker

Feb 12, 2014
    Hampshire
    Glad I picked up a black '56 in the post-Christmas sale then. Been wanting a Strat to go with the '58 Tele I've had for a few years, but could never find one in any of my local shops and I would never spend any significant amount of money on a guitar without trying it first. Luckily one well-known shop near me had this guitar in stock and reduced in their sale, so I traded in a Gibson acoustic I couldn't get on with against it, which meant I only had to pay an extra couple of hundred pounds.

It will be a shame if they do discontinue the AV line, but I can see why they might do so. If sales on those models are low, it's because (a) so few shops stock them (at least in my part of the world) and (b) too many people have wrongly stated on the internet that the neck radius will cause choked bends. The one I bought was, on first testing, set up* from the factory - yet I could get a three-semitone bend on all plain strings without choking out or buzzing.

*I must say how well it was set up too. I watched the shop guy open the box so I know the store hadn't tweaked it, yet the intonation was bang on and the tremolo was floating exactly to original specs (three semitone raise on G string).

16. Fuzzpop

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    Agreed. Never had a problem with bends choking out on a properly set up 7.25" radius board.

T Guitar Floyd likes this.

17. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster

Aug 30, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    One Fender artist -- bassist Annie Clements -- has posted photos of her American Original J-Bass to Instagram. It's very possible that Fender's social-media crew gave a few folks the green light.

Fuzzpop likes this.

18. Fuzzpop

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    That very well could be the case. With a shift this big it almost makes sense to soften the ground before the NAMM announcement.

19. tinman1

tinman1 Strat-Talker

Nov 29, 2011
    Scotland
    Agreed, my 52 tele is as easy to bend 3 semitones without choking or buzzing as my 12” radius partscaster. Covers 95% of bending applications. The tele can’t do a big 2 step SRV style bend though so there is a limit!

A 7.25” CS nocaster I tried in store once was so well set up I was convinced it had a 9.5” radius until the store guy got his radius gauge out!

Fuzzpop likes this.

20. musicmanivi

musicmanivi New Member!

Jan 5, 2018
    CA
    ... I guess they didn't like it? Post isn't there anymore.

Fuzzpop likes this.