Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

American Pro vs elite jazz bass

Discussion in 'Ace's BASS Place' started by bluesman1956, Dec 31, 2017.

1. bluesman1956

bluesman1956 Strat-O-Master

Dec 3, 2012
    Upstate NY
    I’m a guitar player but want to get my son a American Jazz Bass. Like input on my options.

2. jwj1701

jwj1701 Strat-Talk Member

Sep 4, 2012
    lexington ky
    I want to say I prefer passive over active. But I have a 2013 select active and a highway 1, of course passive. The select and elite are similar but not the same because the select pick ups are not noiseless. They’re wired the same but I’m not a fan of the noiseless Bass pickups. I’ve played both in the store and like the professional sound much better than the elite. You could save a few bucks and grab an American standard while there still around. I loved the custom shop pups in those. There’s a couple of cents for you...

3. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Be careful that you understand the different neck shapes. From Fender's website :"the Jazz Bass features the fast-playing, smooth feel of our slim “Modern C”-shaped profile. They did the same thing to the Professional Strats (but not the Elite Strats)... and I HATE that neck. Actually my hands hate that neck shape and start cramping after 2 minutes. In their effort to try to beef up the feel of the necks, they blew up the shoulders on the modern C neck. So for me it displaced my thumb and makes it quite uncomfortable. Admittedly, everyone is different, and basses play differently than guitars, but you should be aware of the recent neck changes. I played an American Elite Jazz Bass as recently as yesterday and wasn't thrilled with the neck shape with that one either. I actually prefer my Squier Vintage Modified 70's bass (which I've upgraded beyond reason) but with heavy bridge, Aguilar pickups and a great setup I wouldn't want any other 4 string (call me crazy). But understand that's me. I liked the older models and slimmer bass necks better. I think the American Precision Bass has more of a traditional shaped neck.

Here is a photo of the different Fender neck shapes.

[​IMG]