Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

American Professional and Treble Bleed

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Silverstrat69, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Silverstrat69

Silverstrat69 Strat-Talk Member

Jun 11, 2018
    USA
    Haha, I'd say 90% of the time I don't use the trem. Sometimes when I'm feeling like it I'll screw it in and have some fun, but usually go without.

Yea the roasted maple with rosewood board was what I was leaning towards. I like the look of the darker maple, and I always prefer playing a rosewood board over maple for whatever reason. And for finish I was just thinking of leaving it unfinished? I hate really glossy necks it doesnt feel natural to me, and I figured with the unfinished I could always sand it down super fine if I have to.

Yes ss frets are what everyone is saying so I will get those most likely too.

Any thoughts on the 10-16 compound radius necks? They seem to be the most popular on that site at least for premade ones available. Thank you!

2. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-Talker

Mar 22, 2018
    Iowa
    Mine has the compound radius neck and it feels very natural. Good for chording and good for some nice bending! It’s my first compound neck experience btw. I also left mine unfinished and it feels phenomenal...it’s what every finish maker wishes they could give you but can’t. I’m biased and very very pleased with my neck but I’m not diluted. Lol

Silverstrat69 likes this.

3. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Senior Stratmaster

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    I personally do not like compound radius at all, YMMV! :whistling: It's not that the compound radius is "the most popular" but instead that's what their standard tooling is set up for and also the reason for an "up charge" for anything other than 10"-16" radius!

From the description of your tremolo use, I'm guessing it's not set up to float and likely puts your guitar a bit out of tune, hence the limited use? That's another whole subject for another day, but be advised that a truly well functioning/tuning tremolo can be a thing of beauty! :D

As for the nut, I recommend either GraphTech/TUSQ-XL or bone. For the price they charge, I would not buy it from them, as it will still need to be properly cut/adjusted for your use anyway, for a fee, unless you are adept at cutting nuts. Given the tenor of your posts so far, I'm going to guess not, no offense intended. Even a supposedly "pre-cut" nut only has the slots generally started in the correct positions and still needs to be fine tuned. If you are happy and confident in the tech you know, ask him for a price on cutting you a nut, and possibly a full setup for when your neck arrives. Ask him if he can do your setup by appointment and allow you to watch so you can get some tips and tricks on doing yourself. I'm a pretty firm believer that anyone who plans on keeping this guitar playing addiction as part of their life, really should know at least the basics of a good general setup. It'll save boatloads of $$$ over a lifetime AND will provide the skills to fine tune your guitar to the way YOU want it, instead of the way someone else THINKS you should want it! FWIW, I enjoy playing with/working on my guitars almost as much as I enjoy playing music on them. The cool thing is that every time you tweak or do something to your guitar, it requires intensive playing to confirm or deny the value of what you did and then another tweak, more playing, etc, etc, and on, and on!:cool: Did I mention that guitars, playing them and playing with them is an incurable addiction?:eek:

Just My $.02 or $.03 & Likely Worth A Whole Lot Less!
    Gene

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    Silverstrat69 and JB74 like this.

4. Count Glockula®

Count Glockula® Strat-Talker

Aug 16, 2009
    Fenderland, CA
    Got one, love it. As for the treble bleed, it just lowers the volume/effects: full distortion at 10 and back to clean at 7...or tone it down. As far as removing it, should be easy with a soldering iron. I would just go online and check the wiring schematics just in case.

Mine:

TubeStack and Silverstrat69 like this.

5. Silverstrat69

Jun 11, 2018
    USA
    Very nice! I love the grain on that strat! Looks really cool

6. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Strat-O-Master

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Where in NE?

7. Silverstrat69

Jun 11, 2018
    USA
    Haha you are good at opening cans of worms my friend. I came here asking about buying a new strat and now I'm over here considering buying a new neck and adjusting my trem... Well I know you don't work for Fender ;) haha

Your advice had been very helpful though. I have tinkered with some cheaper guitars but I'm not confident enough to work on my Americans just yet, especially when in comes to installing and filing a nut and stuff like that. I would love to learn that so I could do it myself or maybe even build a guitar someday but thats out of my league at the moment.

I will probably get a neck from warmoth and try to salvage my old strat. Its just deciding the shape and all the details I have to consider. I've been reading that their standard C shape is slimmer than fender so that has me thinking it might be too thin. I also was reading that some people feel that the "modern" style warmoth necks with the truss rod adjustment on the side of the neck sound dead or lack sustain, but other people said they are fine. At any rate, I think I will go back guitar center this weekend and play a bunch of guitars and see if any of the neck shapes really stand out to me and then make a decision. Thanks again for all your help!

8. Silverstrat69

Jun 11, 2018
    USA
    I grew up on the northshore of Mass. Lots of ocean air and where the weather can change any minute. I didnt know how to treat a nice guitar back then and I always kept it out of the case, in an old house, with no AC, next to a window, in the sun.... Which I guess is how I ended up here haha. Now I learned my lesson and always keep my guitars in a case when I'm not using them.

9. The Ballzz

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    Given your area, are you familiar with the McDonough Brothers Band? Just Curious.

Also, I have a Warmoth Standard Thin on a Tele and a 2010 American Standard Strat that I can compare thicknesses on, if that will help. I regularly switch between my "Standard Thin" and "American Standard" with no problems at all, except for lovin' the ebony and stainless frets of the Warmoth neck quite a bit more! :D As far as the wide, wild range of conflicting opinions on the innernest, remember that opinions are like buttholes, everybody's got one and many/most of them stink! :eek: Whenever I offer an opinion, I do my best to make sure that everyone knows it's just that, and opinion.
    Best To Ya,
    Gene

10. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-Talker

Mar 22, 2018
    Iowa
    I usually cut my own bone nuts but ordered my neck with a Tusq XL and found that it needed no attention whatsoever. String heights at the first fret are right where i like them. Warmoth does have some proprietary system for cutting or milling the nuts that I read about but I can't remember exactly what it said, it's on their site. Slotting a nut is very easy if you do decide to try it yourself. I made nut files from a set of feeler gauges. I slot .001" larger than string diameter and angle the slot along the path to it's tuner peg. Nothing to it. There is lots of measuring as you slot however, which can be tedious but isn't difficult.

11. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    There is one good thing (and only one good thing!) about treble bleeds. They couldn't be easier to remove. You don't even need a soldering iron - just guy the damn cap off with wire cutters.

:cool:

12. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

Dec 13, 2011
    Music City TN

13. The Ballzz

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    Yes they do, but unless spending a bundle, it will be a MIM neck with the same "butter soft" frets Fender uses on all of their current production guitars. I'm not sure if going to softer fret material was an intentional move, but the frets they use today certainly seem much softer than what was used on vintage instruments?
    Just My Observation,
    Gene

Silverstrat69 and CyFan4036 like this.

14. The Ballzz

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    I don't know, about yours, but on mine, the nut height was two to three times what I feel to be proper! The slot width and radius was pretty dead on though. I can't recall if it was a curved bottomed or flat bottomed. If flat, lowering it is a piece of cake, but curved is at least a bit more work.
    My $.02,
    Gene

15. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Strat-O-Master

Apr 7, 2016
    USA
    Cool. Just curious because I’m in North Attleboro.

16. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-Talker

Mar 22, 2018
    Iowa
    So .060 to .090 of an inch? When did you get yours? Mine is less than 3 months old and the nuts are computer cut to the radius and frets chosen. That sucks that yours wasn't. I wouldn't have paid twice the normal cost of the nut for them to just install a standard Tusq blank.

17. The Ballzz

Feb 26, 2014
    LAS VEGAS , NV
    No Sir, not that tall! I set my nut heights by fretting between second and third fret and then measuring between the each string and the first fret. I generally like mine starting at .007" on the low E graduating to .004" or .005" on the high E. When new (about two years ago) the height as measured like this was a tad over .020". When doing nuts for other folks, I usually keep it around .010" to .008" to allow for wear. I realize that the way I do them for myself cuts the life expectancy a bit, but I really love the tuning accuracy and feel when playing near the nut, and I live there a lot! The dreaded bar F and bar B flat chords barely require breathing on them to fret cleanly!:cool:
    That's Just Me!:D
    Gene

CyFan4036 likes this.

18. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 Dog Whisperer. Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 20, 2011
    Private.
    Hi , buddy
    Just wanted to let know ; if no finish-any replacement neck may develop similar problems with truss rod not working .
    The roasted maple option on back would be an exception/offer smoother feel but still protect against weather.

Silverstrat69 and CyFan4036 like this.

19. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-Talker

Mar 22, 2018
    Iowa
    Sorry, I jumbled my zeros! Lol. I do like my action a TAD higher than that, probably the result of learning to play on a cheap guitar!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018

20. Silverstrat69

Jun 11, 2018
    USA
    Hey all, sorry to revive this thread but i just wanted to say thanks to everyone who helped! I decided I didnt have anything to loose by trying to fix my guitar myself, so with some time and brute force I was able to straighten her out to a more acceptable relief. I loosened the truss rod all the way and clamped the neck down and left it for a few days. Then I was able to tighten it back up and get a tiny bit more out of the truss rod. I had some buzzing on the higher frets at first but after playing with the saddles for a few minutes it plays 10x better now. Thanks to everyone for your helpful advice!

CyFan4036 likes this.