Join Strat-Talk Today

Amp and pedal(s) suggestions...

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by JurnyWannaBe, Mar 13, 2019.

1. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Strat-Talker

I am just getting into playing and I would rate my skills at strong beginner easing into intermediate. Right now my best amp is a Vox VT20+. I have 2 friends who are guitar guys from way back. One of them helped pay his way through college playing on weekends. They both think I need to move up from a modeling amp to a standard amp and add some basic pedals. Any thoughts, advice, or suggestions on what to start looking at will be appreciated.

2. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

What do they mean by standard amp? Are they saying you need a tube amp? If you are happy with your amp and the tones you are getting there is no need to spend money on gear just because your friends say you should. Are you playing gigs and need a more powerful amp? Are you happy with your tone you get from your current amp? Those are the type questions that need to be answered before spending money on gear. You would be far better served to spend money on lessons and spend time practicing at this stage than buying amps and pedals.

3. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-O-Master

You will get lots of different recommendations. One can't-miss suggestion you will hear is for a Fender Blues Junior. It is a very popular 15w tube amp, which has reverb, full EQ, 12" speaker, great portability, and it is fully loud enough to hang in a band. It is also a great platform to try out different speakers, each of which has its own character. Some people don't like this amp, which is fine, but that criticism is almost always made in comparison to amps that cost $1,000 or more. You can easily find a Blues junior for less than $400. They are very popular, so you can always find one. Another good recommendation is a Peavey Classic 30, or Vox AC10, either of which you can find used in the $300/350 range. For pedals, a good, low-cost place to start is an Ibanez Tube Screamer for boost/distortion, and an inexpensive delay pedal like a Donner Yellow Fall. There are thousands of different pedals out there, many costing a fortune. If you are a beginner, my advice is to seek out cheap used gear. This allows you to easily try out lots of different things, without breaking the bank.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  4. JurnyWannaBe

That sounds like sage advice...thanks :thumb:

5. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

So what are your guitar buddies using for amps/pedals, and do you like the way their rigs sound? Are there any pro guitarists you regularly listen to whose sound/tone you'd like to be able to reproduce at some level? What guitar(s) are you currently playing?

Truthfully, the questions you are asking are good, but you'll never really find "the answer". But questions open the door to a quest, and ultimately we all discover that it's the path that's really the important thing!

:thumb:

JurnyWannaBe and Stratoskater like this.
  6. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

I'm all for buying gear but to me there should be a reason and generally guitar folks love telling other guitar folks (especially ones who are starting out) that they should get this or that to help them along when in actuality they just need to play. One thing I am very glad for is that I began playing before there was the internet and forums so I didn't read threads constantly saying, "you need ABC amp and XYZ pedal and 123 guitar if you want to play the blues and if you want to play rock well then you need a whole different guitar."

I will say depending on what type of music you like to play it might be cool to get a delay pedal and an overdrive. That Vox amp is pretty good, I used to have one several years back, but the effects can be difficult to set up on the fly. It might be nice to have it set for a slightly dirty rhythm tone then be able to step on an overdrive pedal to get a more driven lead tone. And delay pedals add ambience and depth to your tone and many have a lopper function that can be helpful to practice with.

7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Short answer: It would depend entirely on what kind of music you're playing and where you're playing it.

Stratoskater and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  8. hengkidh

hengkidh Strat-Talk Member

Overdrive and delay.

Hmm.. wait, you may need reverb, tuner. Thats all.

But, wait, it's better to have chorus, tremolo, and phaser also.

Since it should be based on what kind of music that you're playing. It's better to mention it first. But, for a start an Ibanez Tube Screamer would help (I guess).

The-Kid and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  9. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Strat-O-Master

I subscribe to every single word.

Stratoskater and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  10. JurnyWannaBe

As far as influences go, I grew up listening to Joe Perry, Dicket Betts, Ted Nugent, Billy Gibbons, Johnny Winter, Gary Rossington, James Young, Tommy Shaw, and Cub Koda to name a few. That general sound (rock, blues rock, and blues) is what I'm hoping for.
    I think my buddies are trying to steer me towards a good tube amp (at some point).
    Like Stratoskater said. That Vox can be a booger to dial in sometimes. It's only got 99 presets.
    I'd like to get good enough to play with the worship band at church. I'd also like to maybe get into a cover band doing 70's & 80's stuff.
    I know a great singer. He doesn't have the top end to do Journey, but he kills it on Styx, U2, and REO. I also know 2 guys who are drummers / bassists. I also know a good keyboardist.
    Getting a new amp and pedals is months down the road. I was just trying to get an idea what to look for when the time comes.

Stratoskater likes this.
  11. JurnyWannaBe

I have 2 guitars right now. One is a Squier Standard Strat. The other is a Squier Affinity. You can see them in my avatar. The Silverburst Starcaster is no longer in the herd. It was sold on Letgo to pay for a month of lessons.

12. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Time to get an AC10 or 15 bro.

Trust me.

Ive been chasing good tone my whole life. Finally stoped the chase after visiting Vox.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  13. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

Nah... At 28 you will most def get the bug again!:p
    But hang on to that Vox..

The-Kid and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  14. duzie

duzie Senior Stratmaster

Best of luck to you finding what you desire .
    It can turn into a obsession that can interrupt the time you spend practicing :D

albala, The-Kid and JurnyWannaBe like this.
  15. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

If you want to sound like me, then you want what I want. I like tube distortion better than solid state or modeled distortion, every time. And a simple, straightforward tube amp will let you dial in a couple of good sounds, easily. But you have no reason to know who I am or what I sound like, so why try to sound like me? Develop your own tastes and preferences.

Further, IMO, a guitarist needs to know overdrive, fuzz, wah, delay, and reverb--know what they are, recognize 'em when you hear 'em, know how they interact with each other, know how they interact with gain on your amp, and then decide whether you want to use them or not. And also understand that there are thousands of pedals out there--trying to get the exact pedal your favorite artist used is expensive and probably unnecessary anyway.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  16. JurnyWannaBe

That is some FUNNY $&@#

duzie likes this.
  17. mistermikev

mistermikev Strat-Talker

good beginner/intermediate amp huh... Marshall DSL100 full stack. (JK). I'm guessing by 'standard' they probably just mean a more straight fwd amp... being 'old school' I'd guess they would suggest a tube amp. Lots to choose from. Almost can't go wrong with any tube amp tho. 20watts is probably big enough to play over a drummer... blues jr, peavey classic 30, marshal dsl40. AFA pedals... just try some. If you go for a 'cleaner' amp get a dist pedal. it'll come in handy. or a wah pedal, flanger, chorus, whatever. at your stage just go to a store and try some things. see what you like.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  18. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Strat-Talker

well if you are going to play gigs you will want a good amp about 30 watts should cover any venue It should get really loud with no break up or distortion to it.what is called Head room. the for pedals you will want to try Distortion, A Wah, Reverb. Different effects makers have different sounds

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  19. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Remember that 'Tubes' in amp forms are expensive, high maintenance (tubes and re-capping), heavy, and fragile. Stick with solid state. Instead of a modeling amp, get an amp that 'takes pedals well' and get a small board started. Tube Screamer, Rat, DS-1, Delay, (Reverb tank in the amp), fuzz, there are some classic ones out there (and clones). Joyo American Sound pedal is useful, besides using it as a front-end pedal, some use it direct into a PA at a gig.

For a pedal platform solid state amp, the most famous is the Peavey Bandit, but there are others like used Crate(Ampeg) and so on that can work too.

20. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

Since getting my katana 100 the only pedal on the floor ia a looper

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.