Join Strat-Talk Today

Amp and pedal(s) suggestions...

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by JurnyWannaBe, Mar 13, 2019.

1. lineboat

lineboat Strat-O-Master

I bought a small tractor once. Like 20hp. It wouldn’t do everything I needed. Same with an amp, whatever you choose, make sure you pick one that’ll cover more than one venue. What sounds and works fine in a garage/practice area may not work at the outdoor Birthday party you play. That’s when you’ll need that bigger tractor. I’m not saying a 100w stack, but a 10w may not cut it either. I can use a Vox AC15 for 95% of what we play, but that may not suit your needs at all.
    If you’re gonna play Strats, IMO you need a Tube Screamer type pedal to boost those mids. It’s a necessity for me.
    Take your time, play a bunch of stuff, and spend a little time playing it.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  2. JurnyWannaBe

JurnyWannaBe Strat-Talker

Thanks...that sounds pretty solid

3. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Listen to a lot of clips on equipment and pedals. Go to a few music stores and test what they have.

Of all the amps I've personally tried, if I had to pick one (and had the money) I'd go with a Budda Superdrive 18. But that is an expensive amp (why I don't own one). It's also an amp you are unlikely to run into at any music store to test. Many good used Mesas are very flexible with clean and gain channels. Although I mainly play on clean channel with pedals, sometimes I play on gain channel, with or without some pedals. I also like some of the Marshall DSLs and the Peavey classics.

If you get pedals, I also think an Overdrive (or two--I run three different ones for sounds or combinations), delay are your basics. But I also like to add a bit of compression on clean channel.

Or get a good multi-effects unit. I gigged with a Zoom for many years and had spectacular results.

There are just so many variables. You are my age and like the same basic music I do. I play mainly through a 4x10 40-watt Mesa. But I like a lot of other amps too. Just gonna depend on your budget and what you think after trying an amp. I have never bought an amp I didn't play first, but in this day of internet-everything, I might now. As long as I could return it if I didn't like it.

And while I also understand the economy and ease of using solid state, and have owned some, I just prefer tubes. I don't regularly have to change tubes and my current four amps have been the shop a total of zero times. The Mesa was gigged hard for years and moved around a lot. Its first tube change was when it was 18 years old. Not saying they are all like that. I know I've been a bit lucky. I did have a '68 Super Reverb that was in the shop a few times. Weird thing, it cost $90 every time. Three different shops, three different things, but $90 every time. So I'm thinking if I got a bill from a repair guy for $103, I'd probably think he was overcharging me $13.

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  4. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

I've played over 30 shows using a BOSS Katana 50, it's always plenty loud... People have asked if it's a tube amp based on the sound... maybe someone can enlighten me. In 2019, what is the point in paying extra and dealing with all the extra pains for a tube amp if solid state amps sound almost identical due to modern technology?

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  5. Supernut

Supernut Strat-Talk Member

If you decide to spend the money for more expensive gear, try it in the store. Any reputable music store will let you give the gear your interested in a good test and most will exchange if your not happy in a reasonable amount of time. If not...WALK OUT!

JurnyWannaBe likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.