Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Amp for the music room...?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by trapdoor2, Nov 11, 2017.

1. Ed Storer

Ed Storer Strat-Talker Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2016
    Seattle
    If headphone use is essential, then tube amps are pretty much out of the question. You need something with solid state power amp. Solid state fits your budget a lot more easily than tubes. The Roland Blues Cubes are very highly regarded. The Peavey Studio 112 and all of the Bandits get lots of love as well.

I haven't played through a solid state amp for at least 12 years now.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

2. MagnusR

MagnusR Strat-O-Master

Feb 21, 2013
    Sweden
    THR 10! Probably not suited if you want to play really loud though

3. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

In your budget I'd say the Katana 50 will do anything you need, headphones, TV volumes or blow out the windows. No screens just turn the knobs like any ordinary amp, but much more if you want to hook it up to your computer.

johnnymg likes this.

4. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    Thanks, ya'll! Just what I was looking for (and afraid of)...diversity!

I am very much attracted to the Orange Micro Terror. I demoed one and found it to be quite the thing. Ticks all the boxes except for reverb. I would prefer a combo but will keep it +reverb pedal in mind. I am very limited for floor space (too many instruments, too much crap in my room). Extra cabling, batteries/power supply is a negative. Even with two Victrolas and an Edison cylinder machine in the room, I've run out of wall plugs! :rolleyes:

The Katana 50 is definitely a contender. I like the simplicity of the controls. I haven't had a chance to demo one...yet!

I have been out on the various Craigslist and local classifieds. The Nashville area Craigslist is completely stuffed with amps for sale, most of them not particular bargains. As is normal, everyone thinks they should get retail for their used "best amp ever, mint condition"...and over half of the calls I've made turn out to be pawnshops (who usually want to make a big profit). All that is expected, of course.

If nothing else, I'm patient.

As attractive as vintage amps are (I'm a longtime 'stuff' collector, so GAS/AAS/etc. is a given). Headphone is a must and aux-in for the jam tracks is #2. Headphone use drops a lot of vintage stuff and the aux-in drops the rest.

I am going to wade thru the pre-Christmas sales. Something will find me...they usually do.

nuculer terrist likes this.

5. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    Well hello neighbor, I am in Somerset Kentucky. Just 2 hours away from Nashville.

JustABluesGuy likes this.

6. Kstu

Kstu Strat-Talk Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I been searching high and low for good headphones amp. So far the mustang is the best phones amp i came across. I have heard the yamaha thr series too but expensive. Im not crazy about the mustang but it really shines with headphones and it sounds to me like its in stereo.
    By headphones amp i mean an actual amp not the amp plugs etc.

7. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Strat-O-Master

Sep 3, 2016
    Houston, TX
    My grandparents lived in Burnsides (the new one on the hill, not the old town under Lake Cumberland, and when they would go into town to shop, that town was Somerset!

nederemer likes this.

8. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    Ah, I didn't mean to imply I'm in Nashville...just that one can't swing a dead cat in Nashville without hitting a used amp. When I did a "used amp" search in my local Craigslist, I got a few hits and then pages and pages from the Nashville CL.

I'm 2hrs south of Nashville, in Huntsville, Alabama.

nederemer likes this.

9. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    What kind of Strat do you have that all the GC cats dug?

10. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Senior Stratmaster

Go for the Katana or Mustang. I own the Katana head and it is the best amp I have owned.

11. adiabatic

adiabatic Senior Stratmaster

Jul 2, 2013
    Western Canada
    I like my Mustang III (the speaker/cabinet has nice tone) but with a few caveats:

- most of the presets are garbage, but download a few, tweak a few and you may be like me... 3 or 4 presets is all I use and 90% of the time I'm on the Deluxe preset with no effects other than my pedals
    - headphone and Aux jacks are the lowest quality possible, guitar input jack is better but still plastic

Someone above mentioned the Yamaha THR series. They're nice amps (I have a 10C) and are made a lot better than the Mustang (input/output jacks and USB are all better quality). Sound is decent but you're not going to rattle the windows. I love the amp as a grab-and-go for jam sessions (I can put it into a backpack with my cables, etc. and get everything to/from the car easily) or night time living room practice while my wife is sleeping.

12. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    LOL. My DIY Squier with the Warmoth "Gibson scale conversion" neck. They were all, 'whoa, dude!' about that neck.

And...I guess I got my setup right. I half expected to hear some whining about the noiseless pups...but nobody complained.

13. Tomas83

Tomas83 Strat-Talker

Jul 30, 2014
    NE in the 4 corners
    If you haven’t heard of the Jet City Amps check them out. I bought an awesome 20w combo for $160 JCA2112RC

14. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    Just discovered two little amps: Hotone and Joyo BanTamP. The various Hotone 5W amps (which are SS) can be had used for under $60 but would require me to add effects (reverb, whatever)...otherwise meet most of my requirements. The Joyo 20W BanTamP series have a tube preamp (SS power) and would also require added effects...but are evidently fairly new to the market. IOW, I haven't found them on the used market...yet

The Joyo series has Bluetooth connectivity for jam trax, etc. but my experience with BT stuff is that when it works, it is great. When it don't, it is frustrating.

Both of these have separate, specific models which emulate the sound from "famous" amps (Vox, Fender, Marshall, etc.). Of course, none of them are available for me to demo locally.

I really like the idea of a head amp that will not take up much room on my workbench (where it is likely to live). A combo amp would need to be shoved up under something. One of the Hotone's can be tucked away in a small drawer. Big plus, the knobs appear to be sizable enough for my antique fingers with reasonably clear pointers. Another plus, I simply like calling it a Ho-Tone. :D

Anybody own or demoed either of these? A good number of youtube demos out there. Lots of rave reviews (typical).

15. Thin69

Thin69 Strat-Talker

Nov 16, 2009
    Galveston, TX
    I had a huge place for guitar in my last place. Now I am in a very small place. My SFTR is like a atom bomb. I'm mostly using an AC4 nowdays, sounds great!

16. Bera

Bera Strat-Talker

Sep 22, 2016
    Sao Paulo, Brazil
    Blackstar Beam! Aux, bluetooth, headphone, nice effects, simple controls and you can plug a bass guitar, also!

17. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    FWIW, I've read that the Hotone amps don't take pedals well. Other than that, they look like an interesting micro head.

My Bugera T5 head lands tomorrow (Wed.) so I'll post back my impressions of it.

18. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    Yah, my Ho-tone "Mojo Diamond" (Fender Tweed emulator) should be here tomorrow also. I also snagged a Ho-tone reverb pedal ("verb") as it was cheap and probably had a better chance of working with the amp. :D

I was going to go with a "Hall of Fame" pedal but just reading the user manual was overload. I need simple plug 'n' play.

edit: I did eventually get to demo a Boss Katana 50. I liked it a lot. It is just too big for my needs. I finally started measuring my space and figured I was going to be left with some kind of head amp, such as a Micro Terror + a reverb. With the impending BF sales, I went "cheap" and snagged the above amp and pedal...for less than $80 total. I wasn't able to do a live demo of the Ho-Tone amp but I talked to the local playah's, they gave it a very positive review. Most of them liked the Micro Terror better but not so much as to outweigh the extra cost. They all told me to get a Hall of Fame pedal...but, well, if I don't like the Ho-Tone "verb", I'm only out $20.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017

19. radd

radd Strat-Talker

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa cruz

I could not agree more, fantastic amp for the $

The OP did mention a Blues Jr. I had one for my music “room”, I sold it. It sucks at low volume and has no headphone jack so I could not use it most of the time because there are to many other folks in my house.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

20. nuculer terrist

nuculer terrist Senior Stratmaster

Mar 12, 2014
    center of the mind
    Im interested in hearing about the ho-tone. Bet she screams. Huh-huh huh
    Enjoy!