Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Amp Replacement Speaker

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Tele56, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Tele56

Tele56 Strat-Talker

Sep 15, 2012
    Arizona USA
    Replacing speaker in my SCXD and going to order a Weber 10" Signature. There's two models available and when I emailed CJ he explained the differences in both models:

Signature 10 - smooth cone for early breakup, low detail, low headroom, crunchy
    Signature 10S - ribbed cone for later smoother breakup, higher detail, higher headroom

I've been gigging with the SCXD mic'd and it's working out pretty well. Play mostly Teles and Strats (classic rock/blues/country). Based on the info provided by CJ what would be the better choice: early breakup, low detail, low headroom or later/smoother breakup, higher detail and headroom (or does any of this make a difference in a 15W amp with a 10" speaker)?

2. jball85

jball85 Strat-Talker

Mar 16, 2014
    East Texas
    Definitely later/smoother breakup, high detail and headroom. The breakup on the SCXD's clean channel isn't very pleasing to the ears. I use the second channel exclusively for overdriven sounds. Voice 2 and 3 (treble 8-10, bass 1-3) and voice 8 (treble and bass at noon). Eminence Ragin Cajuns are popular with this amp for a reason, 10" Greenbacks as well. Since this amp puts out 15 watts, I would look for the most efficient (highest power rating) speaker that sounds best to you. If you end up gigging with the amp you'll be glad you have the extra clean headroom.

I wish Weber would make an EVM10 clone.

kchurch and Tele56 like this.

3. rolandson

rolandson Senior Stratmaster

Jul 13, 2015
    Cascadia
    I've a couple Weber 10" (C10Q circa 1998) ceramics that I put in a Super Reverb along with some cheap AlNiCo's...precisely for the increased headroom...well, that and to preserve the originals. I like them.

But the thing I've noticed is that the Weber's need a bit more break-in than I anticipated. About 5 hours worth I think before they warmed up. New, they are very tight and crisp. Not offensively so, but once they loosen up ... Like I said, I like them.

Tele56 likes this.

4. Tele56

Tele56 Strat-Talker

Sep 15, 2012
    Arizona USA
    jball85 and rolandson thanks for the info and advice! I really appreciate it. Probably going to go with the Weber Sig 10S. Thanks again!

5. Tele56

Tele56 Strat-Talker

Sep 15, 2012
    Arizona USA
    Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. Ordered the Weber Sig 10S (ceramic). Should arrive in a few days. Just a quick question about new speaker break-in...how many hours (on average) would it take to break in a new 10" speaker?

6. moullineaux

moullineaux Strat-O-Master

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    I put a Weber Sig 12 Alnico in my Blues Jr and wow what a difference. It was a bit stiff at first but after break in it's great. You'll love it, enjoy!

Tele56 likes this.

7. Tele56

Tele56 Strat-Talker

Sep 15, 2012
    Arizona USA
    moullineaux thanks for the info! How long did it take to break in your Weber Sig 12?

8. moullineaux

moullineaux Strat-O-Master

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    Playing every day for at least an hour or so...3-5 months. It's worth the wait. I think I read somewhere that if you crank it a bit so you're working the speaker harder the break in time is less. I was playing at mostly moderate volume. Good luck and have fun.

Tele56 likes this.

9. Tele56

Tele56 Strat-Talker

Sep 15, 2012
    Arizona USA
    Thanks for the info moulineaux!