Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Amp setting...whats yours?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by casriz2, Apr 27, 2012.

1. casriz2

casriz2 Strat-Talker

F this is the wrong place for this please forgive me and point me in the right direction. :)
    With so many players I was just wondering..

What is your absolute favorite setting and why?
    Please include
    •amp brand/model
    •music played
    •setting (if it isn't a secret)

2. mw13068

mw13068 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

This thread should be moved to the "Amp Input" forum, but here's mine:

Amp: Fender Blues Junior (NOS, modded)
    Music: I'm a lead player in a roots rock band
    Setting: Volume (gain) 30%, Master 30%, Reverb 30%, Bass 50%, Mid 50%, Treble 50%, fat (mid boost) switch On.

I play with an overdrive pedal engaged most of the time to add some more gain to the signal, and I control the overall sound with my guitar volume and pickup switch.

This allows me to get a good tone at low to medium volumes, since we play in pubs and our drummer is a hand drummer, and isn't amplified. I don't want to drown her out.

3. revor

revor Strat-O-Master

Here's my three.
    18 Watt Mashall volume set at 7 tone at 10. nice and (semi) clean for blues and breaks up nicely with the TS9, 12" Jensen
    5E3 Deluxe bright channel volume at 9 tone at 12 normal channel volume at about 5. Same thing as the Marshall clean but breaks up nicely with the TS9 12" jensen.
    These settings keep up with the drummer if he's not angry.
    66 Bassman AA165 bass channel Volume 8, Bass 4, Treble 7, bass channel jumpered to the normal channel with pretty much the same settings. Loud and clean with ts9 breakup. 2 12" Jensens. The Drummer has to be mic'd on some of the drums to keep up with this setting.
    In the house I use a weber Mini Mass on the two little amps to keep things quiet, the Bassman never gets turned on in the house.
    With the same settings the Les Paul is very crunchy.
    Play mostly blues with some southern rock and country pickin' thrown in for variety.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. juanjosebh

juanjosebh Senior Stratmaster

Vibro champ xd, and I really like to mess with settings everytime I plug in, but I like the slightly overdriven tone of voices 2 and 5 for my strat and voice 8 and 13 for my ibanez I also put a TS in front of them and sometimes a hint of chorus when playing clean.

6. mjpgolf1

mjpgolf1 Strat-O-Master

Mine is pretty simple.

Fender Champion 600 thru ext cab with 8" Jensen Mod
    Settings- There are no settings, no knobs, no buttons, LOL
    Makes it pretty easy, Just turn it on and play. I do however put a tube overdrive pedal in front of it and mess with that but as far as the amp goes it doesnt get any simpler.

7. bluesy groover

bluesy groover Strat-Talker

Depends on my mood and the type of music I'm after at anyone time. For blues and a Strat with a Fender HR Deville 4x10, treble 3, mid 10, bass 10, reverb 4 to 7 depending upon venue, presence at zero, and gain at 3.5 to 4. This keeps plenty of bottom in a Strat, yet still gives you plenty of treble snap in the bridge pickup. And, your sustain sounds clean and bluesy. Not dirty. I simply back my guitar volume back a few notches to clean it up for rhythm. Simple.
    For a ultra clean classic Strat sound that can used with everything from a Surf Guitar to Ronnie Earl style blues, back your gain off a tad more and add more reverb and treble. Or use the clean channel and simply kick up your volume, but keep your settings the same. Additional reverb on a clean channel along with volume carries your solos and your rhythm chords.
    These suggestions were all without pedals. Add pedals to the formula and everything changes. It all depends upon what you want. What sound, what tone are you looking for? Keep playing with your amp until you find it. Every guitar player out there wants something different. This is the way I set an amp up to get the sound I like.

8. Tony6Strings

Tony6Strings Senior Stratmaster

'75 Twin Reverb here. My band does a bit of everything but my own style is a mix of blues, rock and jam band type stuff, ala GD, phish etc. I used to set my treble at 10, mids at 6 and bass at 2.5 for the Jerry Garcia type sound bu lately I've been doing treble 5, mid 7 and bass 2 for a little more versatility. It still cuts through fine, I've got a JBL D120 in there. I've also had success with the Twin "magic 632 formula" of volume 6 (my master is always dimed) treb 6 mid 3 bass 2. My reverb usually stays around three.

9. richey88

richey88 Strat-O-Master

DRRI magic 6 (everything on 6 except the reverb), unless it's a small room and I have to keep volume on 3.

10. Robins

Robins Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Amp: ENGL Blackmore
    Music: Hard Rock (old school thing)
    Setting: o´clock - there are no numbers

gain - 2 o´clock
    bass - 3 o´clock
    middle - 3 o´clock
    treble - 10 o´clock
    presence - 10 o´clock
    lead volume - almost full
    master - 9/10 o´clock, 2nd master lead volume (practise volume 7 o´clock)
    contour - on
    gain clean channel - 10 o´clock

I use the 3rd channel (low high gain channel) for rhythm and 4th channel (high gain) for lead

using a 4 way foot switch I can go from clean, crunch, 3rd/4th channel and switching between 1st and 2nd master volume

Cheers,
    Robin

11. Tony6Strings

Tony6Strings Senior Stratmaster

Edit, double post, damn phone...

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012
  12. hernameisRachel

hernameisRachel Strat-Talker

1977 Hiwatt DR 504

Plugged into brilliant channel, which has been stacked on top of normal Chanel for a tad of gain.

Bass. 10 o'clock
    Treble. 12 o'clock
    Middle. 11 o'clock
    Presence 1 o'clock

Master volume is low, like 3 o'clock. Control volume with brilliant channel knob to push the amp more and volumes where you can stand it. Loud amp. When played at an outside gig where you can really crank it, its nothing short of amazing. Takes pedals very well.

13. The Shedder

The Shedder Senior Stratmaster

"Everything up to 11!"

Seriously, Blackstar HT stage 60 ;
    Clean ch only.
    Gain 4, bass 5, treble 5 resonance 4 presence 4 master vol 4-6.

Used with vox tonelab se, so amp eq is neutral (off)

14. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

1968 Deluxe Reverb
    Blues/Rock
    Usually volume around 3, treble about 5-6, bass at 5, and reverb at about 4-5. Sounds AWESOME.

15. blasphemoustrat

blasphemoustrat Most Honored Senior Member

Traynor ycv80... gain 3 o'clock, volume Max, bass treble and mid all at noon. Sometimes I bump the bass back a little when I play lp style guitars to cut through a little better..and I control over all volume with the master volume, ususally seems to be around 1 o'clock.

16. VentilatorBlues

VentilatorBlues Senior Stratmaster

Amp #1: Fender Pro Jr., frequently played with 1X12 Fender Blues Deluxe cab.
    Music: Blues and R&B-based Rock and roll. Jazz once in a while.
    Settings: Tone @ 6 out of 12. Doesn't matter if it's a Fender or one of my Les Pauls, it just stays there. Volume: 8 - 12 for sweet, balls-to the wall Hendrixian overdrive at ear-splitting volumes (believe) with single coils, about 6-8 with Humbuckers.

Amp #2: Marshall Class 5.
    Music: see above.
    Settings: Usually run the volume at about 8/10 with all my guitars and roll back the guitar volume for cleans. Treble and Mid at 12 o'clock, sometimes higher when I need to cut through with louder drummers, Bass at about 9 o'clock.

Fender Champion 600 RI.
    Volume @ 12. Guitar volume knob controls the gain. That's it.

I don't have any bigger amps at the moment, but when I had my Peavey Classic 50, I ran the eq flat and cranked the "clean" channel for overdrive whenever I could. Of course, it was wayyyy too loud for 99% of gigs like that, so I usually stuck a TS9 Tubescreamer in front of it. Have no use for the tubescreamer with 5-15 watts though.

17. Marcuslee79

Marcuslee79 Strat-Talk Member

Orange TT & 1x12 cab with a vintage 30

7 watts at home
    15 watts with the band

Not too many adjustments to make but here goes.

Vol= wherever

Tone = 1 o'clock neck pick up & 11 o'clock for the bridge.

Gain = around 2/3 o'clock

Sounds great on the neck pickup, really dirty break up kinda early black keys type type stuff.

Oh I got a squier 50s classic vibe.

Marc.

18. Captain Bb

Captain Bb Strat-O-Master

What he said.

19. pauln

pauln Senior Stratmaster

Magic Six is actually:

Volume=6
    Treble=6
    Middle=6 (if it's there)
    Bass=3
    Reverb=2

20. stratobiker

stratobiker Strat-O-Master

Marshall Class 5 or Marshall Vintage Modern.

I play all sorts, I'm in a covers band.

I set everything straight up and start from there. On the class 5 I'll put the volume up a bit, and change the bass a little depending on which guitar I'm using. On the Vintage Modern I put the pre-amp up a little. Oh, and almost no reverb.

Oh, and I very rarely run my guitar flat out. I like to keep a little in hand.

21. ripgtr

ripgtr Senior Stratmaster

Yup. SFDR - 666 and verb on 2 1/2 or 3.
    Traditional blues with a strat, country with a tele.

5E3 - it goes to 12. :)
    Blues, roots rock, country

bfpr - 3 or 4 on the volume, a bit more if I can turn it up.