Join Strat-Talk Today

Another Charity Auction Build

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Believer7713, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Actually, this one is more of a mod on crack because I'm on a pretty tight time constraint.
    This one is for a fundraiser auction for a local charter school he in KC that helps kids that live in less than "ideal" conditions and have been deemed too hard to work with/teach by the public school system...Sad really. Genesis, the name of the school, has been around for 44 years and are a K-8 school. They have an excellent success rate with this demographic too. They have had students that have seen one parent kill the other, some that went to school with only one parent only to go home to no parents and some that were just pushed on to the next teacher to be someone else's "problem" because they had a learning disability that was either overlooked or misdiagnosed. I can relate to the last one personally since I was an overlooked dyslexic and couldn't read past a 2nd grade level until I was a junior in high school. I cannot however relate to some of the problems these other kids face everyday though. I do, however, empathize with them and was more than happy to help ot with the fundraiser when I was asked by the president of the board after he saw the KCPD Challenge Coin guitar.
    As much as I like to do full builds this one is more of a restore and refin. Plus there are several mods that are going into it.
    I started with a Dean Vendetta that I got from a pawn shop for $50. Someone had the wize guy idea to refinish it with a razor blade carving a couple stars into it.
    20190130_183355.jpg
    20190130_183448.jpg
    20190130_183531.jpg
    20190130_183509.jpg
    It was also missing a couple of the string through ferrules
    20190130_183424.jpg
    So that will need to be addressed too.
    With the help of an orbital sander and some patients I got it pretty much smoothed out. Then I had a pretty bad nick that needed to be addressed.
    20190401_195000.jpg
    Nothing a little body filler and primer can't fix though.
    20190401_192538.jpg
    [​IMG]
    This concludes the first post od this build thread.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

2. Believer7713

OK, for the second installment I had the opportunity to go meet with the staff of the school and take a tour of the facility and see the students in their classes.It was both very informative and humbling. To start, A little background on what they teach and believe about what it takes to teach their students.
    (Taken directly from their Web page)
    Mission

To endow students with the knowledge, skills, and mindsets necessary to be successful in a college preparatory high school.

Vision

To transform the Kansas City educational landscape by demonstrating that all students in an open-enrollment community school can achieve at the highest levels.

Core Beliefs

- All students can learn at high levels and all students deserve educational excellence. A school culture based on mutual respect, rigorous expectations, and continuous growth sets the conditions for strong academic achievement.

- Achieving our students' potential requires continuous learning and improvement. We use data to measure our progress, and purposeful reflection and research alter our practices.

- Character development is a critical component of education. Students who are respectful, responsible, resourceful and responsive are prepared to lead within their communities and society at large.

- A school must be inextricably linked to the community it serves: Our students' success benefits the community, while the community supports and informs our work. Leveraging community partnerships meets our students' needs and ensures learning.

Impact

At Genesis School, we believe all children deserve a fresh start on their educational journey. We believe that learning should meet individual needs. We believe that effective education requires a partnership between school and parent. And we know that for certain that caring, qualified teachers and specialized staff can make all the difference in turning a young person’s life around.

Our responsibility is vast because Genesis is the only charter school in the Kansas City area serving at-risk and high-risk inner city youth during those vulnerable years, grades kindergarten – 8.

We know how to address the special needs of young people and have been doing so for over 40 years. We have a proven track record. And when we are successful keeping young people in school, we help fortify the community’s skill base and enhance family cohesiveness.

Their school symbol is looked like a hand to me at first but i was later explained to be a drawing of a mythical bird from the Akan tribe in Ghana called the Sankofa. The bird has it's feet planted and facing forward but it is looking back. The literal translation of the word and the symbol is it is not taboo to fetch what is at risk of being left behind.” Written in the Twi language of the Akan tribe it says, "Se wo were fi na wosankofa a yenkye." The word Sankofa, itself, is derived from three different words in Twi, San which means Return, Ko which means go and Fa which means look seek and take.
    [​IMG]
    I decided on this build that I would carve their version of the Sankofa into the body of the guitar. Yesterday, I scanned a copy of their symbol and printed it onto a piece of water slide paper so I could transfer it to the body as a guide.
    [​IMG]
    After about half a day for it to dry I started routing it with my Dremel on a precision router base.
    [​IMG]
    The first part went well but about half way through the second cut the water slide started to lift so I had to rethink who to do this. So I traced out the design with a pen and covered it with clear packing tape to make sure it wouldn't move then I took a razor blade and cut the design out and lifted out the parts that were going to be cutout. after that I traced the openings with a Sharpie.
    [​IMG]
    It worked like a charm so I could lift off the rest of the decal and get back to work. carving it out.
    [​IMG]
    After finishing the carving it turned out pretty well in my opinion. It is in essence free handed so it is not perfect which is exactly what I was looking for because if you were to see it drawn or carved anywhere in reality it would have that "human" touch to it and I believe that there is true perfection in a little bit of imperfection. I also wanted to still see the tooling marks in it so I didn't take the time to go in and smooth out the cuts because it makes it look more like it was done with hand tools instead of a router.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now after the cuts have been made, I sanded the body one more time and reprimed it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It will take me a few days to get the next step done as I am waiting on one of the colors of paint to arrive since I had to special order it because no one had it in stock and I am being rather particular on the colors of this one. so I might start on the reshaping of the headstock to match my style tomorrow so I hac have it ready for paint with the body...hopefully by next weekend.

Sorry this one was a little long but i really want to show where the inspirations are coming from.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  3. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

This is gonna be quite a transformation. Pawn shop trash to custom greatness. I'm sure it will do well at the auction.

ZlurkCorzDog and Believer7713 like this.
  4. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7 Strat-Talk Supporter

Dang man, gotta wonder what that prior owner was consuming during that visionary artistic endeavor. :confused:

Lovnmesomestrat and Believer7713 like this.
  5. Believer7713

I am not sure either but I don't mind because when I can find them like this I can get them cheap. Which also makes my customers happy. I am donating the work and artistry on this one but the president of the board is buying all of the materials.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
  6. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

I hope to get good enough at building guitars to use them to help support my charity like you do. I admire what you do. Do one a year for the spay and neuter clinic I am involved with. I made a half dozen pens last year for the annual auction and they did well.

7. Believer7713

Thank you a ton. I gotta say that the spalted maple build that you're doing now is sharp as all get out.
    Also, very cool on the pens.

Lovnmesomestrat and Bowmap like this.
  8. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

WOW! ANOTHER amazing and unique custom build!

Will be watching your build and praying for a successful auction to benefit a MOST worthy cause!

Proud of you Bro! You're leaving a good legacy!

Brian

9. Believer7713

Today, I was able to start laying a couple of the colors on it. I started with these two colors.
    [​IMG]
    I painted the edges Toyota's Almond Beige Pearl and the front and back GM's Light Blue Metallic. I really like the beige because it reminds me if a champagne color which is a subdued gold.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next was to spray some Beige over some of the blue.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    When the Nissan Orange Mist Shows up in a day or two, I'll get it sprayed then start laying out the decals.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
    MrNeutron, Bowmap and Lovnmesomestrat like this.
  10. Believer7713

The Nissan Orange Mist showed up today.
    [​IMG]
    After taking it inside and getting the can up to temperature I headed out to the garage.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Right now it's looking like a testing pallet but there is still more to come. In a couple days I'll start masking it for the final color. That will be the exciting part.

11. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

Looking pretty cool....we are applauding you out this way....:thumb::thumb:

Believer7713 likes this.
  12. MrNeutron

MrNeutron Strat-Talker

Believer,

I have a brand new set of 6 black string ferrules, if you need them. Just pm me an address.....

Be kinda cool to fill that school logo with some night-glo stuff......

Believer7713 and ZlurkCorzDog like this.
  13. Believer7713

PM sent.

14. Believer7713

I actually thought about doing the LED thing in it but decided to leave it like this because when it's done that blue will just pop. I think it will be the most eye catching post of the front. I also really liked the idea of leaving it freehand and rough carved without sanding the low spots smooth, almost like it was chiseled. It conveys the message that there is perfection in an imperfect world. I'm hoping that by this time next week I will be starting to put it under clear.

15. MrNeutron

MrNeutron Strat-Talker

Okay, yeah, good call on that, Sir! :thumb:

I guess the stuff I was trying to describe is that powdered stuff you mix with epoxy (I think), and it glows after being held under a light for a short while. I have a neck from Warmoththat uses that stuff for fret markers.

16. Believer7713

I think I know what you're talking about. I don't know if this is the same stuff but I've used Luminlay dots for the edge markers before on a couple different guitars.
    20171022_195743.jpg
    20171022_202720.jpg
    20171022_195826.jpg

Torren61 and ZlurkCorzDog like this.
  17. MrNeutron

MrNeutron Strat-Talker

Yeah, that's the stuff I was trying to describe! Thank You!!!

I think you already have a better idea of what you're wanting to do, but it was makin' me crazy just trying to recall what the stuff is called. Kinda thing where you sit up in the middle of the night, and blurt out "Luminlay!" after you finally remember what it's called, ya know? :confused:

Thanks again!!!

Believer7713 likes this.
  18. shovelmike

shovelmike Senior Stratmaster

Nice skills there, Believer, and even better great generosity.

19. Believer7713

Today, I only had a couple hours to work on it today and since I am laying out the decals by hand one letter at a time it's a slow process and if I make a mistake I'll need to start over... which I will, after getting to the store to get more decals. But here's what I got done today.
    I started with a piece of blank vinyl decal paper and this cardboard letter R.
    [​IMG]
    I traced the letter and cut it out with a pair of scissors
    [​IMG]
    After placing the R on the back I started laying out the letters for the words of the 4 R's listed earlier Respectful, Responsible, Responsive and Resourceful.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    When I accidentally tore a couple letters I had to stop on the back until I get new material. So I flipped it over and started on the front.
    [​IMG]

20. Believer7713

So last night after taking a break and haning out with Mrs. Believer for a while, I decided to add a little more to it until I came to a point where I had no choice but to stop until I make it to Michael's for more decals.
    [​IMG]
    This picture shows the top edge of the first where I put the definition of Sankofa in the original language of Twi from the Akan tribe in Ghana.
    [​IMG]
    Here I started to put the translation of the Twi to English.
    [​IMG]
    I'll finish this part later today.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.