Join Strat-Talk Today

Another Charity Auction Build

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Believer7713, Apr 7, 2019.

1. mkgearhead

mkgearhead Strat-O-Master

Great job! I did something similar with a First Act I picked up at a pawn shop for $10. I covered the front of the body and headstock with a poster (I'm in no way artistic) and cleared over it. I was going to give it to the local middle school but no one ever called me back, so I found a school in Denver for at-risk kids. I'll be dropping it off on Monday along with a Peavey Rage 158 amp and a bunch of accessories. It feels good to give back to the community. :D
    thumbnail_IMG_4464.jpg thumbnail_IMG_4465.jpg

2. Believer7713

Believer7713 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Very cool! It is good to give back for sure. Good for you bud.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

mkgearhead and Lovnmesomestrat like this.
  3. Believer7713

Made it to the store to get the rest of the decals needed andI finally got all of the words on it. Now all I have to do is mask the sankofa and it will be ready for the final color of paint.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Believer7713

While working on several different projects around the house today, I was able to set up the paint stand again and take breaks periodically to go spray several coats of the main color. They asked for white so I went with Honda White Diamond. It's a really pretty white with a lot of silver pearl in it.
    [​IMG]
    The problem with white is that it's pretty transparent so it took almost two cans to get full coverage so you wouldn't see the colors bleedd through like this.
    [​IMG]
    After almost two cans I finally have it covered and now to let it set for a few days.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next will be to peel the letters back off then mask it again for the Sankofa to be repainted.

5. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Gold Member

Sorry you had to re-do? I just thinking the lettering kinda looks cool embossed. Maybe an idea for future build.

6. Believer7713

I actually didn't have to Re-do. This was part of the steps. I did, however, decide to paint the Sankofa differently. I will mask it differently so that everything inside the cuts will be painted.
    The rest of the colors will come through later too.

Bowmap likes this.
  7. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

I know it's your project and Im sure it'll turn out great but it looked pretty cool with the bleed too.

Groovey and Believer7713 like this.
  8. Believer7713

Thank you, I did actually consider leaving it with some bleed through but I just had a vision of what I wanted. I am not a perfectionist in the sense that but when I do something I strive to make it look like the "picture".
    I figured that it would take a couple coats, not s couple cans. What I should have done, and will do next time I need to cover colors with white, was to prime the whole thing again then blow the white.
    This started to take me back to the first first I did for someone else that almost exceeded in disaster. I was trying ti do a swirl paint job that should have looked like this.
    0f74d0d5a9811c6825f95809c9089dbf.jpg
    But i think i used the wrong kind of paint and it didn't swirl...It glopped and i got this.
    20180125_091048.jpg
    Thankfully he liked it and i didn't have to sand it back down. I was pretty perturbed for a while though.

9. Believer7713

Today, I was able to do another step that I think turned out really cool.
    Like the previous posts, I'll give some back story first. The school has historically used different activities, such as tennis, swimming, music and recording, soccer, etc as teaching platforms. Since tennis was the first activity teaching platform they started having an open invitational tennis tournament called "The KC Invitational". So they requested that I allude to the tournament somehow with the guitar...plus it will be auctioned at the end of the tournament. While trying to figure out how I wanted to put the tennis reference on it I decided to see if I could find a set of knobs painted like tennis balls. After looking everywhere and not finding anything I tried to contact some people locally to have them custom made and still nothing.
    So I guess that meant it was time to get creative...
    I found these keychains in several different colors and decided on the traditional green and orange since orange is one of the school colors.
    [​IMG]
    Took the chain off and was left with the fuzzy covered plastic tennis ball replicas that are about 1.3 inches in diameter. I then found the hole that the chain was mounted through and used that as my center point and drilled a 3/4" hole in the ball.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After that turned out like I hoped, I took the original black knurled press on knobs and glued them into the tennis balls using the same epoxy that I used on the challenge coins in the KCPD Coin-Caster.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They have really nice weight and though they may look funky on a regular guitar they should be a cool addition for this one.
    Here they are on one of mine as a test fit.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019 at 11:49 PM
    MrNeutron and Bowmap like this.
  10. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

I'm looking foward to the rest of your build but Get em off that guitar right now young man!

Believer7713 likes this.
  11. Believer7713

Why would I do that? I think I may make a couple more just for it. Could be like the coke bottle knob I made for the guitar of lights. Lol
    20181120_074601.jpg
    20181120_074627.jpg

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019 at 10:19 PM
  12. MrNeutron

MrNeutron Strat-Talk Member

May or may not be approproiate (for a school build), but the bottom brass part of a shotgun shell with the primer pocket drilled out to 15/64" makes cool Volume & Tone knobs. Got this from the "Guns and Guitars" website.......

Groovey likes this.
  13. Believer7713

I just about did this for the Coin-Caster. But I wanted to use a couple shells that were spent in service and they are hard to come by with all of the red tape and all so I just went with the normal Tele knobs.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.