Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Another Loop Pedal Thread

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by AndyFroncioni, Dec 2, 2017.

1. AndyFroncioni

AndyFroncioni Strat-Talk Member

Aug 14, 2017
    Montreal
    Apologies for yet another loop pedal thread, but I wanted to get some fresh answers on some 2017 products.

My needs are simple: I just have one guitar and I'll be laying down a beat (somehow) and a rhythm track. I want to solo over this. I'd like to have a few recorded loops of a dozen or so tunes. I'm not gigging or busking or anything.

What loop pedal or station?

ryunker and circles like this.

2. AlexWhite

AlexWhite New Member!

Mar 8, 2017
    Bosnia and Herzegovina
    I have a Ditto looper. It's pretty straightforward, easy to use, infinite overdubs, all that stuff. If you're just using it for practice, it's perfect. Plus really inexpensive. I wouldn't recommend it for live use though. There are better options for that.
    However, it doesn't have the ability to store multiple loops. I think one of the Boss loopers can do that, RC 3 if I remember correctly.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    johnthomas, AndyFroncioni and circles like this.

3. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2014
    Crystal Lake, Il
    Same needs, I purchased a Boss RC2 and it fit my needs perfectly. Possibly more than my needs, have not experimented all the features. So far (one month) use it to do a rhythm track and solo (improvise) over it.

The RC2 is equipped with a few simple drum loops that I found really helpful as well.

AndyFroncioni likes this.

4. faustarp1000

faustarp1000 Strat-Talker

Apr 24, 2017
    Montreal, Canada
    Ditto x 2 for me. Dedicated stop switch is nice. I think you can store/import loops via usb cable too, but I never tried it.

5. Swampash

Swampash Senior Stratmaster

Jun 13, 2012
    Here
    another vote for ditto x2

6. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster

Aug 28, 2014
    Colorado
    I just bought the Boss RC-3 yesterday and the loop sounds muffled and muddy. I think it’s going back.

7. RaySachs

RaySachs Strat-Talker

Jun 25, 2017
    Philly area
    I’d never ever heard of loopers until several months ago - started playing 40 years ago, but after ten years of playing a lot, it was 30 or so of only playing off and on with a lot more off than on, so I was pretty out of it in terms of keeping up with gear. Decided to go for a really cheap one just to see if I liked it, could work it decently. I loved it, got decently good at the timing (kicking it on and off at the right moment seems like it’d be really easy, and it is, but it was really elusive at first) and decided to get one that would save loops.

Got a Boss RC-3 and really love it. It’ll store 100 loops. Doesn’t sound muddy to me, but then it’s only my second looper so maybe I’ve never used one that had stellar recorded sound to compare it to. I’ve got 20 loops stored so far, of which 7-8 are probably keepers - they’re the ones I keep going back to in any case. I can’t imagine I’ll ever use close to the whole 100, but you can upload and download them with a USB, so you can really have as many as you want. It’ll do really simple drum tracks, but there are only 8-10 to choose from and all you can control is the tempo - I’ve used one of them once and it’s OK but probably not something I’ll use much at all.

I also got an FS-7 footswitch which makes it a lot easier to use - to just stop a loop without starting an overdub, and to cycle through your existing loops. An FS-6 or two FS-5s will work just as well, but they take up way more space on a pedal board.

There are other ones out there with similar-ish features, a Digitech, one by Lux or Nux or something. But a looper that’ll store loops has become an indispensable part of my setup. I like that guy who plays rhythms on mine - he’s not that good but his rhythms feel real natural to me - I can play to them... ;)

8. AndyFroncioni

AndyFroncioni Strat-Talk Member

Aug 14, 2017
    Montreal
    Thanks for a great answer! Now I really want a loop pedal and a foot switch!!!

9. RaySachs

RaySachs Strat-Talker

Jun 25, 2017
    Philly area
    I'm not sure if the other similar loopers (with the ability to save loops) benefit as much from a footswitch as the RC-3. With the RC-3, if you don't have a footswitch, when you want to end a loop, you have to tap it twice in really quick succession - the first tap will just start an overdub and then the second one stops it. With a foot switch you start the loop with the pedal and then end it with one tap of the footswitch and it will just stop - it doesn't try to start an overdub. Also, the second footswitch (the FS6 and FS7 both have two, with the FS5 you just need two of them) allows you to cycle forwards or backwards through your loops - without it you're bent over dealing with a somewhat fiddly switch for what can be quite a while if you're scrolling through a bunch of loops.

With the other makes, you may be able to get by fine without any additional switches, and you can certainly work the RC-3 without them, but they really make life easier.

10. RaySachs

RaySachs Strat-Talker

Jun 25, 2017
    Philly area
    One other thing. When I was looking to get my first looper, I was also looking at the ability to save loops. And when I asked about here (or maybe it was on the Tele forum - don't recall), I got a lot of good advice about the specific models (the Nux, for example, seems to have more and better options for drum tracks), but one guy also advised me to start simple with the most basic looper I could find. That a fully featured looper might be a little overwhelming initially and the most important thing was to work out the basics of how to use them and see how much you like them. And there's something pretty useful about having to create your loops from scratch each time, just to encourage your rhythm playing and not get stuck in your own ruts.

I took that advice and got a $30 eBay knockoff of the Ditto (which seems to be the go-to basic looper, but there are a bunch of clones of it out there for a lot less $$). And I have to say it wasn't a bad move at all. The whole concept of looping, and how the timing works with overdubs and stuff, was plenty to absorb at first, without thinking about storing tracks or thinking about what switch you had to use for what. And having to create my loops from scratch each time helped me get a lot better at nailing the start and stop points so it sounds pretty much seamless when it loops back. Turns out it was only a few months before I decided to upgrade to a more feature-rich looper, but that might not have been the case for lots of folks, so it was a good way to start.

I just wanted to throw that out there. It was really good advice, at least for me. A very small outlay of cash, most of which I recovered when I sold it, to find out more about looping before I spent a couple hundred bucks on a looper and footswitch...

11. Mesaman

Mesaman Strat-O-Master

Oct 20, 2014
    Mesa AZ
    This would be a good and economocal choice.

12. BrightonRT

BrightonRT Strat-Talk Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Brighton, MI
    Another vote for the Ditto X2. Love mine.

13. Rob Moreno

Rob Moreno Strat-Talker

May 28, 2017
    Tokyo
    I bought an R-3 earlier this year. I find that I use it more as a jam track player than a looper. It’s a great tool for practicing in that regard.

14. usul1978

usul1978 Guitar bricolo Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    I have just got the Loop core deluxe from Nux, it's great with many different rythmics tracks. It's nice and compact with a dedicated footswitch.

15. Doghouse_Riley

Doghouse_Riley Strat-Talker

Mar 9, 2017
    L.A.
    I've been traveling this road for a little while.

My suggestion to the OP is the Digitech Trio +, Digitech Jamman Solo XT or EHX 22500.

My problem with loopers is the horrible drums sounds. My journey started with an RC-3 which was a great introduction to looping but limited to one track and of the 16 drum sounds I could only stand to listen to 3 or 4 of them and even they weren't great. Nothing I could gig with. I went to the EHX 22500 but I didn't like the interface, it lacked midi sync capability and again terrible drums. I ended up getting the Pigtronix Infinity Looper which I'm very happy with. For drums (the Infinity doesn't have drums) I got a BeatBuddy which is awesome. The Infinity can recognize a midi sync signal from the BeatBuddy so they stay synced together. Now I can throw in drum fills and transitions on the fly with the BeatBuddy. Sound from the Infinity is crystal clear. The Infinity has 2 tracks that are like having 2 sync-able loopers in one pedal including independent inputs and outputs. I run guitar into 1 track and out to a guitar amp and I run bass to the other track and out to a bass amp. The BeatBuddy runs separately out to a PA. Sounds pretty awesome. I bought this set up so I could do solo gigs. There is a steep learning curve but it gets smoother with practice. I hope to be gigging with this set up by the first of the year. SOLO IN 2018 is my goal.

16. banjaxed

banjaxed Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Liverpool UK
    A looper has been on my wish list for a while now but the bad reviews on the rhythm sections have been
    putting me off, so I would be very pleased to hear your opinion on the Nux rhythms.

17. usul1978

Dec 9, 2015
    France
    You read bad reviews about it ? The rhythm section had been modified, maybe you read reviews of the first loop core which wasn't so good on this part.

On this one you get many choices and it works good for what I heard. I didn't have plenty of time with it yet and I don't ask much though, but it was one of my criteria...

18. banjaxed

banjaxed Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Mar 14, 2014
    Liverpool UK
    Thanks for your reply. It was reports on most other loopers that reports were negative regarding the rhythm section.
    Maybe you could let me know what you think of yours when you have spent more time with it.

19. usul1978

Dec 9, 2015
    France