Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Any Epiphone SG guys? One for sale locally.. thinking of getting it

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by mduganjr, Mar 1, 2017.

1. mduganjr

mduganjr Strat-Talker

Nov 16, 2016
    Covington, Louisiana
    I found an Epiphone SG for sale locally for $200. I've been researching based on the pictures of it to see if I can figure out what model it is.

It's not a special since it has the trapezoid inlays, but the plate on the neck just says "SG" instead of "SG Pro" like it says on the pro models I've seen online.

I know it comes down to me going to play it and see if I like it. $200 seems like a really good deal, let me know what you guys think! Thanks

EDIT: After using the search function for a while, looks like a G400

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017

2. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 16, 2013
    Boston
    Love mine but it was modded with Duncan 59 pickups. I loves me some Epis and the G400s are great players...

Seymour Duncan and Rastus like this.

3. glorman72

glorman72 Strat-Talk Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Cleveland, OH
    I have a Korean made 2003 G400, also paid $200. It plays great. Not sure you can beat it for 200 bucks!

4. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2014
    Crystal Lake, Il
    Look and see if its a set neck. If it is a set neck it is G400, nice playing guitar. I had one, sold it and got the G400 Pro due to better electronics. The G400 is real nice just the way it was.

5. Biddlin

Biddlin Strat-O-Master

Feb 11, 2013
    USA
    That's a faded G-400. very nice guitars.

6. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Local enough that you can just get it?

7. mduganjr

mduganjr Strat-Talker

Nov 16, 2016
    Covington, Louisiana
    I was thinking if nothing else, I could probably keep it for a while and then get $200 back out of it.
    I live in a small town, and so does this seller. I figure for $200 it's an easy decision. Even if I don't like it, I can jam on it for a while and then get $200 back for it. I just don't want to lose any money on it.

8. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    I'm on Social Security and a torpedoed 401k
    I couldn't resist.
    You might want to jump in.

mduganjr likes this.

9. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Strat-O-Master

Jul 21, 2015
    USA
    Those are pretty good guitars and that's a decent price. I recently helped my daughter find a black G400. It was about $225 with a hardshell case, so I recommended she move fast!

I've noticed that it takes me a couple minutes to adjust to the neck. It doesn't attach to the body the same place as a Strat and even though it's a shorter scale it feels longer. Great playing guitar for sure.

You may not feel the need to to upgrade anything. The pickups are ok, but we're thinking about upgrading them.
    Why did you go with 59's? Do you have them in the neck and bridge? I had 59 in the neck of my Hamer Duotone and it was great. I have a Lil 59 in the bridge of one of my Strats now and I like that too.

I've heard that removing the pickup cover can help 'clear up' the tone on a pickup. Has anyone tried that with these Epi G400's and heard a difference?

10. jjudas

jjudas Strat-O-Master

May 18, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I love my G400! $200 is a great price for a nice guitar.

mduganjr likes this.

11. rudos1

rudos1 Senior Stratmaster

Aug 16, 2013
    Boston
    My buddy who traded with me had a set of overwound buckers he liked in it and had the 59s from another project and asked if I wanted them. I like more of a vintage tone a PAF like sound so I opted for those..

joe_cpwe likes this.

12. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    Hello,

You can get these new through amazon for around $200:00, so I'd do a search first, or offer $150:00 maximum.

The Epiphone range has two of those models, one being a 400, & the other a 410...The difference is that the 400 will have a 4-bolt neck, the 410 is the "traditional" neck through body design, & as in the photos above, the pearl inlays are large, & not dots.

Glad to hear they're good players, as mines in the mail arriving soon...

Cheers,

Rastus

13. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Does that one have the thick neck? I was shocked the few times I tried Epi SGs and the necks just did not seem very SG to me....

D

14. glorman72

glorman72 Strat-Talk Member

Jan 24, 2017
    Cleveland, OH
    Unless the models have changed more recently, I'm not sure that's correct. I bought my 2003 about 5 years ago, it is a G400 and has a set neck, the cheaper model available, at least back then, was the 310 with a bolt on.

Grant

Rastus and gofmusic like this.

15. gofmusic

gofmusic Senior Stratmaster

Sep 24, 2013
    Montevideo
    +1 All the G400 Ive seen have set necks. I know the G310 which has a bolt-on neck.

http://www.epiphone.com/Products/SG/G-400.aspx They call it "glued in" insted of set... whatever.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017

16. Jigglebone

Jigglebone Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Jan 20, 2017
    Southern Idaho, US

Had one and it sounded fantastic. Be aware they're neck-heavy and strap hanging is ... weird. I had to futz with tuning problems with it, and when I got it straightened out, I didn't like it any more, so I unloaded it. On that note, I couldn't hardly GIVE it away, even at $200, even on Reverb (and I bought it new). As one other poster mentioned, maybe offer $150. It does sound fantastic and play well.

17. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

my first real guitar was an epiphone g310

It got me from learnin' to burnin'

nothing wrong with them at all out side of me remember always needing to tune it. but at the same time that could very well have just been me not knowing how to properly set it up, and to stretch strings once strung.

Rastus likes this.

18. Rastus

Rastus Senior Stratmaster

Jan 1, 2014
    Australia
    Hey folks,

I likely posted too soon, as the search I went through around 6-weeks ago included many guitars, with likely even some "Chibsons" in the search. But I do remember going through the process of buying one, & I struck-out every-time, simply because I lived in Oz, & no one for some reason ( on amazon ) whether UK, or US-of-A, would deliver...GC & Sweetwater would, but the exchange rates & shipping meant they were more expensive to buy than locally...

Locally in store, the G400 with gig-bag thrown in could be had for $420:00 AUD to me, with a choice of colors of either ebony ( black ) or faded wine ( red ). I opted on the G300 special from elsewhere, for $300:00 delivered with a gig-bag...( The only difference in the guitars is separate volume & tone controls for the pick-ups, & I much preferred the modern, & new-look, & simplicity of the special ). My problem now / was that Gibson "lost" their consignment of guitars in a Sydney warehouse...They couldn't find their own guitars in their own warehouse...After 3-weeks waiting I asked for a refund, & mysteriously, the missing consignment was found...Apparently its now flying over to my place LOL ! ( Careful when buying on-line folks, even with legitimate stores ).

Anyhow, all I'm trying to point out is that even here in Oz, with a really poor exchange rate, these guitars new, & with cases can be bought cheap. This means there must be GREAT deals state-side for the same guitars.

Enjoy your guitar, however you decide to buy it,

Rastus

19. moullineaux

moullineaux Strat-O-Master

Jul 11, 2009
    ATLANTA, GA
    I briefly owned one of the black versions of this guitar. I was not impressed . It was ok. I did like the neck, just never got attached to it.

Jigglebone likes this.

20. Bodean

Bodean smells like leather Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 23, 2014
    South Carolina
    I have an Epi Goth SG 400. paid 125 for it. I like it a lot. Seems thinner and lighter than most other models.

Rastus likes this.