Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Any famous guitarists using 70s Strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Thin Lizzy, Apr 2, 2014.

1. DHart

DHart Banned

Even if the neck pocket isn't virgin tight, they still play and sound great. Neck pocket tightness is waaay over-rated by some folks. Sure, it's nice if the neck pocket is tight. But even if it isn't squeaky tight, BFD, you won't hear it, nor feel it. Seventies Strats can be great to have and to play. Having one, and playing it, is quite informative.

My '76 hard tail in see-thru Blonde ash. I've had it since new, in 1976.

And, let's not forget... this guy named Jimi Hendrix (among a few other notables) somehow seemed to limp along ok with seventies Strats. :rolleyes:
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2015

2. Neil.C

Neil.C Senior Stratmaster

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England

I love that.

3. huxtable

huxtable Strat-Talker

Aug 6, 2013
    Dalton, AX
    The dude from The Strokes. I think it might actually be an '80 or something, but close enough:

4. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah....1978-1981 are considered late 70's CBS Strats........

5. stretch

stretch Strat-Talker

Aug 17, 2011
    Blackie had a 74 pickup in it... Not sure that counts though. ;)

6. evillouie

evillouie Strat-Talker

Jun 7, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    Adrian Belew played 70's strats, at least up through his first stint in King Crimson.

Steve Hackett played a 70's sunburst with a black pickguard for a while.

George Harrison briefly played a black 70's with a rosewood board. I saw a pic of him with it once - it looked like it was around the time of "All Things Must Pass".

And even though Tommy Bolin is more known for the sunburst he played with Deep Purple, shortly before his death he started playing a black 70's strat with a mirror pickguard.

7. Equus

Equus Strat-Talk Member

Jan 24, 2015
    Ed King of Lynyrd Skynyrd recorded one of the most iconic songs in rock history with a '73 Sunburst Strat. Sweet Home Alabama. He is the soloist on this song. He also said this guitar was lousy.

8. jaimac

jaimac Strat-Talk Member

Jan 26, 2015
    Philadelphia, PA

Created a message on the wrong post
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2015

9. theconductor890

theconductor890 Strat-Talk Member

Jul 27, 2014
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    His Strat is a 1985 Japanese Reissue of an 1972.

What about Iron Maiden? And isn't Malmsteen's Strats 70's CBS Strats? The guy from Blondie also uses a Strat with a bullet in the head stock.

10. BALIstic

BALIstic Strat-O-Master

Jan 17, 2010
    Ian Moss. Cold Chisel. Enough said.,..,

11. Craig Usselman

Craig Usselman Strat-Talker

Feb 4, 2018
    Calgary, Alberta,Canada

12. Craig Usselman

Craig Usselman Strat-Talker

Feb 4, 2018
    Calgary, Alberta,Canada

13. Kayden33

Kayden33 Strat-Talker

Apr 23, 2017
    Knoxville, TN

14. Stratdejavu

Stratdejavu Strat-Talker

Dec 31, 2017
    John Norum

Attached Files:

15. Fuzzpop

Fuzzpop Ryan-Ola Silver Member

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    I know this is a zombie thread, but it gives me an excuse to post a picture of Norman Harris, one of the most criminally underrated guitarists. He was a session player for MFSB, the house band at Philadelphia International Records. He played on pretty much every Philly Soul record from The O'Jays to Teddy Pendergrass.

Nate D and raal like this.

16. BlkStrt

BlkStrt Strat-Talker

Nov 25, 2015
    Central Canada
    Keith Scott (Bryan Adams' guitarist)

Nate D and Believer7713 like this.

17. tim gueguen

tim gueguen Strat-Talk Member

Sep 3, 2015
    Belew's Strat was a late '60s model with '50s pickups that Seymour Duncan found for him. The guitars he played on the Three of a Perfect Pair tour, and later with the Bears, were actually heavily modded Fender Mustangs.

To add to the list there's Robert Quine, Jody Harris and Pat Irwin of the Raybeats, Ric Ocasek of the Cars, David Byrne and Jerry Harrison of Talking Heads, and Mike Rutherford of Genesis.
    Seymour Duncan likes this.

18. jaybones

jaybones Most Honored Senior Member

I know I saw UB40's original guitarist Ali Campbell played my exact S series natural. Never saw them in person, but saw them on TV for their cover of Neil Diamond's Red Red Wine.

Also the guitarist for Harry Connick Jr's band on Harry looks like he's playing a large headstock Stratocaster. Might not be a true S series since it doesn't have a bullet truss rod.

19. Davey77

Davey77 Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 29, 2014
    Monroe WA
    All the others I immediately though of have been covered so I will add Roger Fisher founder of Heart