Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Any Strat Pawn Shop '51 Owners here?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by DHart, Sep 6, 2012.

1. DHart

DHart Banned

Played one at my local GC recently and I'm thinkin' I need to bag this one... it's a bit of an odd bird (Tele neck, Strat body, Texas Spl. neck pickup, Enforcer Humbucker bridge pup), it sounds and plays (and to my eyes, looks) awesome! Just wondering who else here may share the enthusiasm? The quality of the Japanese build is impressive. Labor Day 15% discount... brings it to like $680. This hobby is so addicting. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

2. juanjosebh

juanjosebh Senior Stratmaster

Mar 8, 2012
    Veracruz Mexico
    I tought these were Chinese? Like the modern players since Japan isn't selling guitars in America anymore.

3. DHart

DHart Banned

Juan... this one was made in Japan.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. juanjosebh

Mar 8, 2012
    Veracruz Mexico
    That's really cool I'm a sucker for oddly shaped fenders I don't know why I always love it when fender does something different.

6. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

ive messed around on a few of these pawn shop guitars, they are built really nice, after an electronics change to make it more my style i would be very happy with one thats for sure. 600 bucks.. not bad. if they were 450 they would be flying off the shelves

7. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    The first series of Pawn Shop guitars were made in Japan, the newer Pawn Shop models are MIM. Some Japanese Fenders are made for the American Market, however the majority are Japan only

8. firebrand

firebrand Senior Stratmaster

Mar 5, 2009
    Western Michigan
    The entire first wave of Pawn Shop series and Geddy Lee basses are all MiJ.

The 51 was originally a Squier model and quickly became a favored platform for modders. I had two myself.

image-2321814072.jpg

The blonde had no mods.
    The black was a complete makeover.
    Gfs dual blade in neck pos, Duncan in bridge, new tuners, GFS bridge and pickguard, and a custom refinned headstock with water decals. The volume control was moved to pickup selector local and selector replaced with three way toggle.

9. firebrand

firebrand Senior Stratmaster

Mar 5, 2009
    Western Michigan
    You are correct. They seem to have placed less emphasis on the series name for newer models like the Jaguarillo.

10. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Strat-Talker

Oct 13, 2007
    UK norfolk
    MIJ .I played one in a store for about an hour through various amps and its a fine guitar .Typical MIJ high quality.I bought a thinline MIJ tele from Ishibashi in the end but the 51 was a good guitar as indeed was its Squier forunner which I owned .I wish they would make a Pawnshop strat/tele ,strat body ,tele bridge and pickups etc .

11. DHart

DHart Banned

NGD for me... the Pawn Shop '51 I just bought from GC is a MIJ model and the quality is superb. I'd never know it from a MIA model, honestly. Sure plays great, that I know for sure. Now I'm eager to see what tones I can squeeze out of it that differ from my '76 Strat and 2012 Select Strat.

12. ZackiHendrix

ZackiHendrix Strat-Talker

Dec 4, 2011
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Interestingly enough, the body is NOT actually a strat body, it's modeled after the precision bass. Notice how the contours aren't quite as smooth as a strat's (hard to explain it kinda). The pickguard was based off of the early 51' "tele" P bass, like this: [​IMG]

13. RorySquier

RorySquier Banned

Dec 9, 2011
    Oshawa, Ontario
    I own a 1952 RI Fender Telecaster, but man....this guitar looks real good the way it is and a lot cheaper than my RI. Love the shape of the pick-guard & the colour of the body....Nice axe bro!!:cool:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2012
  14. BHighkin

BHighkin Senior Stratmaster

Aug 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    I tried a modern player at GC a few weeks ago. I wasn't too impressed. It had poor tuning stability, and the frets ends were a bit sharp.
    Maybe I just got a bad one. I guess yours was better.

15. juanjosebh

Mar 8, 2012
    Veracruz Mexico
    The modern players are the MIC ones! Now I remember!

16. blackstrat

blackstrat Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 9, 2009
    Greece
    I have the old Squier version and it's a really great guitar, the design is functional and you get a lot of useful tones. My only gripe is the lack of a tone control but it's not that much of a problem anyway.

17. DHart

DHart Banned

I have no idea what you mean when you say a "modern model", but I guess the model you're thinking of might have been a Chinese-made model? Just which one are you speaking about?

I found this Made-in-Japan Pawn Shop '51 at Guitar Center, Clackamas, OR. Perhaps near where your are?

Gotta say, this MIJ axe plays as fluidly and easily as almost any I've played and the quality is as good as any Fender I've seen or played. If my MIJ Pawn Shop '51 is any indication, the MIJ models are golden! :)