Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Any thoughts on why this is?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by dazco, Dec 1, 2017.

1. dazco

dazco Strat-Talker

Oct 5, 2017
    california
    This being the fact that my squier CV50s hangs on a strap very differently than my MIM classic 60s. Differently=better. Everything feels different than the MIM or for that matter any strat i've owned. My arm lays across it more comfortably, it fits INTO me as tho it;s part of me much more then other strats. When i play my classic series 60s strat them pick up my CV 50s the fit is VERY obviously more comfortable in not just the way it hangs but the way my arms feel like they are in more comfortable positions.

I have heard how the bodies are smaller, one youtube even suggesting the CV is shorter and held them side by side to illustrate this. You couldn't tell so i did the same with mine and there was zero difference. (maybe at one time there was and it changed? Mines a 2014) I checked it overall and the only difference in size i could find was i used a digital caliper to check thickness and the CV was indeed smaller, but not by any amount that i can imagine would cause this. It was 2/100's of an inch thinner. We're talking about the thickness of your thumbnail or a hair more. I DO realize theres extra comfort in the edges being more beveled than the obviously more squared edges of the MIM 60s but that shouldn't cause my arms to sit at what feels like a more correct angle. Even my fretting arm feels like the angle is better. (straps all adjusted the same)

Anyways, not a big deal except that now when i pick up the MIM i feel like i wanna go back to the CV and therefore i'm contemplating a CV 60s. I hate to sell the MIM thats been my #1 for near 20 years but i can't justify both financially. And i can't see playing the MIM if i got a CV60's. So i'm just thinking about what to do and i go back and fourth in my mind daily. I posted just to see what others think abut why the CV fits so perfectly vs the MIM. Just seems like more beveled edges and 2/100's of an inch can't make such a big difference. But whatever it is all i want to play now is the CV. But I love the sound of a rosewood board (i know some say theres no diff but hear it very clearly) and i want to be able to go there when i want that sound w/o feeling like i'm playing a much less comfortable strat.

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-a-holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    The Classic Vibe has more rounded contours, a deeper forearm cut, a deeper tummy cut......I think this is what you're experiencing.....

henderman and Stratoskater like this.

3. Cerb

Cerb Senior Stratmaster

Jan 22, 2016
    Sweden
    Try one before you buy. The difference you hear is between two different guitars, not necessarily between rosewood and maple.

Guitarmageddon likes this.

4. dazco

dazco Strat-Talker

Oct 5, 2017
    california
    Rosewood and maple are the #1 think i hear in fender design. You'll just have to trust me on that.

5. dazco

dazco Strat-Talker

Oct 5, 2017
    california
    I think thats it. I didn't think that could make much difference but now that u mention it i looked closely and the cuts are definately considerably deeper. Seems the longer i have this thing the more i realize it's actually got a lot of improvements over strats costing far more. Subjective, but for me aside from having had to upgrade the bridge it's all plus's. Crazy to think it, but i now look at CV's not as just a budget alternative but as a BETTER one ! I mean, i much prefer the FB radius and this comfort thing, 2 differences right there that you can't just upgrade. (not cheaply or easily anyways) And you're what? You're gonna charge me LESS for these things?! Ok, if you insist. :D

6. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Fretboard radius 9.5" is the same on an MIM Standard and a CV....maybe it's the back of neck profile or thickness that makes it feel different....pre-2006 MIM's also had small vintage fretwire....but since 2006 have the same size as the CV....

I also think the high end Squier stuff is better than any USA or MIM Fender....

7. dazco

dazco Strat-Talker

Oct 5, 2017
    california
    I was talking about my MIM 60s. Thats 7.25"

8. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Oh, didn't realize you meant Classic Series 60s.....

I thought you meant a Standard....

my mistake....

Yes, 7.25" radius, smaller frets......and wider string spacing at the bridge.....to me much harder to play on....

9. dazco

dazco Strat-Talker

Oct 5, 2017
    california
    I like the wider spacing and thats part of why i filled and redrilled the CV's mounting holes and installed a USA spec trem. I think because my hands are fairly large i like more space between the strings.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

10. T Guitar Floyd

T Guitar Floyd Senior Stratmaster

Oct 27, 2014
    Arizona
    How much do you want for your Classic 60s? What color is it? :whistling:

11. dazco

dazco Strat-Talker

Oct 5, 2017
    california
    :D seriously, i'm not sure i'm going to do this but even if i did i'd sell it locally. I don't ship guitars for several reasons. And chances are what i will do IF i get a CV 60s is keep the MIM 60's and put it back to HSS as i had it for many years. (i routed the bridge slot) Then it'll at least have an alternate use over the CV60s, plus it's been my #1 so long i have a hard time thinking about parting with it. But no decision is yet made and knowing how i roll it could take months to come to one.

T Guitar Floyd likes this.

12. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    USA spec - do you mean vintage spec or modern USA spec? Because modern USA has wider mounting holes but still 2 1/16" saddle spacing high to low E at the bridge....

Pure Vintage fender??

13. dazco

dazco Strat-Talker

Oct 5, 2017
    california
    Yeah, vintage. I don't think there are any USA vintage 6 screw trems that are narrower than a AVRI, but who knows.

14. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Yes, there absolutely are....the highway 1 / american special bridge.....vintage mount spacing, modern saddle spacing

Which is why your post confused me :)

15. dazco

dazco Strat-Talker

Oct 5, 2017
    california
    I see. Didnt know that

16. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Are the strap buttons in a slightly different spot? that might make it hang just a little differently.

Also, the CV bodies are the same size as any other Strat. That 2/100 difference you're talking about is within normal variances, and I could not imagine it would make any noticeable difference. I do know that my CV '50s is more contoured than most MIM Strats I have played.

17. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    :thumb:

Heavier neck/lighter body or vice versa. It's wood folks, you just can't get two pieces the same.

18. dazco

dazco Strat-Talker

Oct 5, 2017
    california
    True, they do vary but the thing is I've had more strats than i can remember and none felt ike this. But theres no need to to speculate further because i believe Guitarmageddon nailed it. The contours are definately deeper and i think thats certainly why.