Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Any Waves plugin recommendations?

Discussion in 'Home Recording Studio' started by Duotone, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2016
    Norway
    There is a huge sale on waves plugins,

Did love the SSL strip way back in my illegal software days. So thats a given.
    Do you have any favorites you would recommend?

I know @fezzparka has boasted a few of these in some post.
    Any good ones fez?

fezz parka likes this.

2. fezz parka

fezz parka On...for Omar. Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    These are the ones I always use:

The Fairchild 660/670.
    Ultramaximizer.
    Bass Rider/Vocal Rider.
    Renaissance Comp.

And any of the channel strips. Mostly for the EQ.

Duotone and amagras like this.

3. amagras

amagras Strat-O-Master

Oct 26, 2016
    Ontario
    +1 for the Fairchild, the jjp analog legends is on sale right now and includes the fch and PuigTec.
    Precisely, I made a video about this a few days ago after I got a few, hopefully it will help

Duotone likes this.

4. Duotone

Feb 12, 2016
    Norway
    Ended up with:

V-comp, J37 tape-emulator, WLMpluss (Loudness meter), NLS non linear summer and the L2 Ultramaximizer.

Maybe I would have gone crazy if it weren't both Ableton and Reason having put out paid upgrades just about now...:( well maby next time.

amagras likes this.

5. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

It's unclear whether I will keep buying plugins. I love messing around with them but it's possible that my physical limitations will keep me from being able to learn to mix to an acceptable product and ready for mastering. If that is the case, then the plugins are just for entertainment. :D

sooper8, fezz parka and amagras like this.

6. amagras

amagras Strat-O-Master

Oct 26, 2016
    Ontario
    @Duotone vcomp is a nice plug, congratulations

@Dadocaster is right, plugins are for entertainment...but also for a little bit of inspiration

7. amagras

amagras Strat-O-Master

Oct 26, 2016
    Ontario
    I made a second part :)

8. AndSomeone

AndSomeone Strat-Talker

Jan 2, 2018
    Santa Monica
    SSL is def great as you get eq comp and gate in one. But I love the api eq a lot and as mentioned the nls is an awesome plugin. They should have demos on their product.

9. Dadocaster

[​IMG]

Want but don't really want it 100 bucks worth and not really doing recording right now.

jball85 likes this.

10. AndSomeone

AndSomeone Strat-Talker

Jan 2, 2018
    Santa Monica
    Yeah if you’re not mixing just wait. They fairly often have crazy deals on some of their plugins.

11. Dadocaster

I have been watching THAT SPECIFIC CHANNEL STRIP for many months. :D

As mentioned above, I may not be able to actually do mixes that are complete and finished for public consumption. Doing rough mixes as part of my messy creative process, I will continue to do.

12. amagras

amagras Strat-O-Master

Oct 26, 2016
    Ontario
    Next on my list too, hoping to see it for 29

13. AndSomeone

AndSomeone Strat-Talker

Jan 2, 2018
    Santa Monica
    What I meant is that if you don’t need it right now wait a little and see if this one goes on sale. Btw it is perfectly cable of doing a full Mix with it (if recoding is done ok and doesn’t need surgery fixing). It’s an awesome strip.

14. dbbluesproject

dbbluesproject Senior Stratmaster

Nov 3, 2015
    Maine
    I have many waves plugins.........
    Personally I have yet to find an analogue sim plugin that sounds good when boosting eq........they just smear the high end and sound like an old AM radio.......
    As a result I have gravitated towards the plugins that aren't trying to be something they aren't.......
    The EMO Dynamics plug in is really useful..nice compressor and gate that actually works........sounds clean and does what it does well...

I find the waves graphic eq sounds just as good if not better than the analogue modeling eq's and it's very useful.......

When I used to work as an assistant engineer and we had Neve and API desks we used to laugh at graphic eq's...but when you are mixing in the box I find they are far more useful than trying to turn some tiny knob with a mouse......that always seems to involve some amount of guesswork........

The CLA guitar plugin is great for writing songs and doing demos, it sounds as good as any other plugin (pretty nice crunch tone) and you are up and running before the vibe is killed because you are trying tweak 19 tiny knobs on some marshall look alike GUI..................

I do use the H-Delay I think it is quite nice and they got it right with that one......nice delay for guitar.....If they made it in pedal form I'd be all over it.....

The SSL channel strip is pretty neutral sounding but I don't think the compressor is very useable..........

If I do want to add some analogue vibe I use the NLS...when used moderation it can work well......

I use Apple Logic Pro X and I find I really like the compressors as well if not better than any of the waves............they are very well thought out and quick and easy to use.......sound great imho......I did an entire record with jus Logic and really like the way it came out..........

One of the good things about Waves is you can try before you buy.....have fun!

15. Dadocaster

@dbbluesproject

Thanks for dropping in, db, great to have your input. I sure don't have any personal experience with any of the analog stuff that is being emulated. :D

Also: I remember hearing some tracks from you in the past that were a punk project. Would not be able to find them through search here and don't remember if they were part of a release on your part or something being worked on. I am playing kinda sorta punk right now and would like to hear thos db tracks again. Don't mind buying them if needed.

16. Duotone

Feb 12, 2016
    Norway
    My whole music situation nowadays is purely entertainment. Have some songs that deserves to be put to sleep as demos and stop flying around in my head.

I droped the SSL pack and decided to try some plugs just for coloration. Waves have a lot of EQs, but to me a 6db octave dip at so and so frequency is just that, an eq setting. If I can't make it into the box, I can't make it in the box, or out of the box.

This years recording will mainly be mono on a late 60s reel to reel or to cassette. I might try stereo onto my old revox machine.

17. Dadocaster

I have a friend with a couple of old Ampex machines in his garage. It would be nice for me if he put in the effort to get them going again. I think they are 16 track machines?? I do not know my tape machines very well.

18. Duotone

Feb 12, 2016
    Norway
    Yeah, ampex!

Lots of work. Maintainance seems to be the vintage analog domains equalent of fiddling with plugins.

Some of my best free-jazz sessions were done on a lofi mono solidstate Tandberg. Omni condenser, preamp and 1/4" tape. We were focused on the music, and even if there is bit of overdrive, and some hiss, and some mistakes here and there I find those moments are magical.

I collect old tapes from yardsales and so one. Found a few nice recorings done on those old consumer machines in mono! :)

amagras likes this.

19. Dadocaster

I believe one of those machines my friend has is ready to go. Tuned up, refurbed, re-this re-that. Just waiting for someone to build a studio around it.

20. fezz parka

fezz parka On...for Omar. Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    Undisclosed.
    They are a maintenance heavy format. You have to align them, the heads could be shot...and the there's getting tape. Ask Don about maintaining multi track machines. ;)

Then there's the board, checkerboard equipment, patch bays, snakes, mics, stands, phones, gobos...

I love my '59 F100. But it's old and tired and requires a lot of work to keep it on the road. Its a tape machine.

My Camry just goes. Put gas in it, change the oil. Always runs and never breaks down. Its a DAW.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    AndSomeone likes this.