Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Anyone applied veneer to a Strat body with the forearm contour? To the back with a belly contour?

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Groovey, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Groovey

Groovey Most Honored Senior Member

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    I'm prepping to apply this Birdseye veneer to this body. Anyone been here before? Done a few searches and haven't yet found specifics. Seems easy enough to steam the veneer for the forearm contour. Is it even possible to veneer the back considering the belly contour? 15177684558782098558515.jpg 15177685175881100211064.jpg

Omar and felis like this.

2. DoctorBB

DoctorBB Strat-Talker

Feb 29, 2016
    Beaumont, TX
    Think I saw a Tony McKenzie YouTube video of him doing this.

3. Groovey

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Thanks Doc @DoctorBB I'll look for it. I saw a few over there that skimmed the topic.

4. Groovey

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    I don't mean to say Tony skimmed... It's just that very few vids on YouTube demonstrated with a Strat body. Ie., With all the contours and such.

5. Groovey

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    1st attempt, 1st step complete.

The veneer is so thin it laid down across the forearm contour without a problem. I have it glued under weights and clamps I the corner. Will look at it tomorrow.

6. sumran

sumran Fan of Leo

Mar 7, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Thanks for sharing. This will be a part of future builds for me so I will watch with interest.

Groovey likes this.

7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I'm looking at doing something similar, so I'll be interested in the outcome too.

Groovey likes this.

8. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

Dec 4, 2013
    largo,fl
    Great project, can't wait to see it unfold.

A bag vacuum clamping system will bend and glue a thin veneer around almost anything.

Sarnodude, jaybones, Groovey and 2 others like this.

9. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Weeee doggie Strat-Talk Supporter

neat. But all the hardcore Gibsonites dis Epiphone for using veneers. Says it kills the tone....... I want to see what you finish this with.

Groovey likes this.

10. Groovey

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    "Failure is always an option."

The first attempt, first stage didn't go so well. I used wood glue and it wrinkled the veneer. Now, I've used wood glue before with no problem. Maybe this Birdseye is thinner. Benefit is that it takes the contour like a champ. No worries there. 7 more pieces from my sheet so im moveing on this afternoon with gel contact cement. It's supposed to not wrinkle or curl the veneer.

Here's an SG I did in flame. It wouldn't flex without cracking. I just clamped a few spots and placed weights on the rest while it set. This was years ago and it still looks like this. I know, I know. But I moved on to wiring and necks. Plan for this one is blue burst.

IMG_20180205_084541864.jpg

felis likes this.

11. Groovey

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA

I though we already settled "where is the tone.".

Stormy Monday likes this.

12. sumran

sumran Fan of Leo

Mar 7, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    That trip is like a merry-go-round. Always moving but never arriving. Same thing over and over.

Groovey likes this.

13. Groovey

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Gel Contact Cement is the way to go. Applied to both pieces with a roller. Wait 10 min and stick em together. A piece of wax paper, or tracing paper between the two pieces while you align an edge. Then slide that paper out.

I IMG_20180205_143041443.jpg

felis, Chont and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

14. Groovey

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Gel Contact Cement is the way to go. Apply to both sides and wait 10 minutes. Use a price of wax paper or tracing paper between the pieces while you align an edge. Then slide that paper out.

IMG_20180205_143041443.jpg

@henderman
    I was trying not to buy anything i would only use once or twice. So happens my Lady friend reminded me we had Space Bags. So here we go. I think this one is a keeper.

IMG_20180205_143939279.jpg

Thinking ahead to the back of the guitar. Considering a two piece veneer. One piece for the belly contour, one piece for the rest.

Omar, T Bone Slort, felis and 4 others like this.

15. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

Crimson Guitar (Ben Crowe) has a video on veneering a carved top guitar and I remember some scalpel work involved.

Groovey likes this.

16. Groovey

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA

Yes. I was fortunate to get away with one price for the top.

17. sumran

sumran Fan of Leo

Mar 7, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Looks promising! If I do a veneer it will be a burst. That way I don’t have to deal with the belly cut or radius on the edge.

18. Groovey

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Yes. Depending on how the edges look. I may need to darken around the outside. I'm hoping for as much of a natural or blonde finish as possible.

felis likes this.

19. Willie D

Willie D Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm interested in seeing how this goes. I hope it turns out great!

20. Groovey

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Here is the top unwrapped.

And the back getting ready for glue IMG_20180206_104950855.jpg IMG_20180206_104559611.jpg