Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Groovey, Feb 4, 2018.
We gonna make a Luthier out of you yet my friend.
Just now noticed this thread, now watching with interest.
Not much to be seen here but some rough edges. Laid tracing paper on the contour then transferred to the veneer and cut it. It's reasting comfortably overnight in the Space Bag. I should mention this vacuum cleaner suction is just barely adequate to hold the edges down. And this is because my edges aren't curling. Not even a little. If you were to veneer more dramatic curves and edges you would want a stronger vacuum. Or specifically designed clamps. Tomorrow I'll sand, fill, blend the two veneer peices on the back.
I always thought it a crime to have a veneered top and then cover it with a pickguard. Soooooo..,.
I can't wait to see how this comes out either.
I was thinking...
Playing while doing a James Brown dance routine might be easier
Lol. I've actually been very fortunate this project. I've only has to redo the first step.
This is gonna look cool.
Burst is one good idea. Binding (or faux binding) is another.
I'll have to look into faux binding. I know my routing skills (never routed anything) are not up to this. @Willie D
I might know a guy...
Sometimes it's just taping off and either painting or staining a different color where binding should be.
Ah, of course. Good idea.
Standing has begun. Of course there is the good, bad and ugly. There is the chip I pulled off in the first 2 min. That's only bad as I still.have it, and can reglue it. There is the chip I pulled off in the second 2 min. That's ugly because those chips disappeared. I.plan on making some maple dust to fill these places. And there is good. I managed to overlap most of the seem to create a "seemless" blend.
Sanding has begun. Of course there is the good, bad and ugly. There is the chip I pulled off in the first 2 min. That's only bad as I still have it, and can reglue it. There is the chip I pulled off in the second 2 min. That's ugly because those chips disappeared. I plan on making some maple dust to fill these places. And there is good. I managed to overlap most of the seem to create a "seemless" blend.
View attachment 268106
View attachment 268110
More sand and fill tomorrow. 1st stop at Hobby Lobby for some CA.
Double post. Must be losing my mind.
its the contact cement and sanding dust
Not much to post lately. This stage is about as exciting as watching glue dry. Oh wait, that's excatly what I'm doing. There were some chips and dings along the way that needed filling. Here are some progression pics.
These, although came out reasonably well considering what scars remain. Will be under the pickguard. The dark lines were gaps I filled with maple dust and secured with a drop of thin super glue. Although this works well for rosewood fingerboards, it left me with a dark coloring. Good news is that these scars are flush and will be under the pickguard.
Above is a scar that I "welded." I glued a strips of veneer in place and sanded them flush.
This completes the top. I mucked up the seam on the belly contour so bad I just started over. Sanded down the first layer and applied a second.
Plan A is to lovingly hand sand this flush. Although I can't do it today due to the weather. 100% humidity today. I would sand it instde but I prefer domestic harmony.
I'm away for two weeks. So this will go into a pillow case while I'm away. Can't wait to finish with the sanding and move on to color. Almost there.
Someone received their tax refund really fast.
I just pulled the trigger on a Warmoth birdseye neck to pair with this body. That will complete the collection of parts.
Just an update here. I've been so busy there's not been much progress. I expect to have some good time off in May. I fully expect to be coloring/finishing in May. I can add that this hand sanding of the details takes forever.
I don't feel bad admitting that carving a neck is beyond my skills and tool inventory. Here is the neck from Warmoth.