Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Anyone else love 70's keyboard rock (Starship, TOTO)?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by mikej89, Dec 5, 2017 at 11:21 PM.

1. mikej89

mikej89 Strat-O-Master

May 12, 2016
    River Falls, WI
    I see... I've never known what 'pomp' means but that makes sense. I guess I worded the question wrong with the term 'keyboard rock'. I'm talking more the AOR bands with heavy keyboards like Jefferson Starship, Toto, Foreigner, etc. not as much the experimental stuff.

2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    Pomp really is shorthand for Mr Wakeman, nothing else comes close. You really had to be there. :D

3. newplayeroldguy

newplayeroldguy in the wind Strat-Talk Supporter

May 12, 2015
    north and east
    that is indeed what I meant

circles likes this.

4. Guitarhacker

Guitarhacker Strat-Talker

Apr 19, 2013
    California

5. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX

6. Guitarhacker

Guitarhacker Strat-Talker

Apr 19, 2013
    California
    Probably not in the pop vein that is being thought of here but these guys were pretty awesome.

AncientAx likes this.

7. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Strat-Talker

Nov 28, 2016
    Virginia, USA
    Not always. At the beginning, before they evolved into "Starship," they released a few (mostly unknown and unheralded) albums. Two of my favorites are "Blows Against the Empire" and "Baron von Tollbooth and the Chrome Nun."

[​IMG] [​IMG]

A young (15-16 years old) Craig Chaquico just flamed on lead guitar. His solo on "Flowers of the Night" on Baron is still one of my favorites.

Paperback Rocker likes this.

8. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Strat-Talker

Oct 25, 2017
    Nawth Alabama
    LOL. I have always enjoyed the lunacy of Mr. Wakeman. My first 8 track purchase (quadrophonic, even) included his "Myths & Legends" album. I was heavily into Prog. Rock in the 70's. It could not get pompous enough for me.
    I was the kid in my group of friends who recognized most of the classical roots in this stuff. Somebody would bring an album over and I'd dig out the classical basis (if I had it...mom had a pretty good classical collection) and we'd listen to them back to back and discuss, etc. Bunch of geek teens playing 8-ball and playing music in the basement...

Prior to that, I was radio top 40 and not really listening to it. I had some Elton John...but my favorite 8-track was a compilation called "Superstars of the 70's"...still remembered as one of the best compilations of the period (I had no clue). By the time I got out of high school, my glove-compartment collection included Steeleye Span, Renaissance, ELP, Yes, Wakeman, One Size Fits All, the "200 Motels" soundtrack, Gryphon's "Midnight Mushrumps" and a Sinatra album....

9. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    In my own little world
    :thumb:

10. Brian H

Brian H Strat-O-Master

Feb 7, 2016
    Delaware

I did that kind of music but more into the 80s... with that 80s spin to it. :thumbd:

11. newplayeroldguy

May 12, 2015
    north and east
    you can focus on the keys and still rock

12. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    Amazing. I never heard of this!

13. dbbluesproject

dbbluesproject Senior Stratmaster

Nov 3, 2015
    Maine
    I saw Yes live on the Going for the one tour and I gotta say it could be the best show I have ever seen......I remember standing there watching Chris Squire and being just blown way.....talk about a tight band.....incendiary .......Rick Wakeman was a show within the show.......and Steve Howe just nailed it......I could go on..lol

chrimturn and circles like this.

14. archetype

archetype Strat-Talk Member

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    No. The majority of it was a vapid waste of vinyl.

15. West Coast Idea

West Coast Idea Strat-Talker

Mar 10, 2017
    Out on the Range
    To me this is really an apples and oranges issue. I would never think to group the classic proggers with Toto and Starship.

While I can appreciate their individual skills, I always thought the Toto guys couldn't get away from sounding like a bunch of studio cats who weren't greasy enough. It's like they difference between smooth jazz and Booker T. I enjoy their contributions to other records, however.

The Airplane was part of my childhood soundtrack, so I considered Starship to be completely different--way more corporate, which was a sign of the times.

Hippieway likes this.

16. Neil.C

Neil.C Senior Stratmaster

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England

Yes.

Although keyboards can add a nice extra flavour.

17. Neil.C

Neil.C Senior Stratmaster

Mar 3, 2012
    Surrey, England

Pomp, surely not? ;)

This old thing? I've had it ages.

[​IMG]

West Coast Idea and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

18. Stark

Stark Ghost of Johnny Thunders Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 16, 2011
    Richmond Annex, CA
    I’m not trying to be an @sshole about it but ohhhhhhh HELL no, I’m a native of “(that) city” and that song is an embarrassment.

19. newplayeroldguy

May 12, 2015
    north and east
    that's pretty direct- and in my view pretty correct

Neil.C likes this.