Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Anyone Ever Tried A Boss MD500 or DD500?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Raiders757, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Raiders757

Raiders757 Senior Stratmaster

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    Figured I would ask, as I have been GASing for both for quite some time. Christmas is on the horizon, so I figured why not.

I've been leaning towards the MD500, as I already have several delay pedals and haven't even tapped into the full potential of my Alter Ego X4 yet. Figured I can clean my main board up a tad and make a little room if I add the MD500 to handle all my modulation needs.

Guess I am asking if anyone has one or played around with one long enough to have a well informed opinion on whether either pedal are worth the investment. I keep backing out every time I'm about to pull the trigger. Reason being is that I am also GASing for the new TCE Quintessence and the Keeley 4 Knob Compressor. Figured I can get both of those and save a little, or break bad and get one of the Boss pedals.

Any thought. I need to let Santa know something soon. :)

2. Raiders757

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    Hate to be the first response to my own thread, but it seems that nobody here has tried the MD500 out or owns one. Guess I'll take care of that and let you guys know how it goes. Broke down and bought the MD500 at AMS with a three month payment plan. That way I can get the 500 and both the Keeley Compressor and the TCE Quintessence. NPD day is tomorrow.

3. bobbyprayogo

bobbyprayogo New Member!

Nov 14, 2017
    samarinda
    I tried DD500 for a few months before I sold it for a helix.
    Have to say they sound great. On par with strymon timeline.
    I use dotted eight digital delay with clear repeat. and both long and short repeat analog delay for lead lines.
    Have to say the control and tweakability is very versatile. You have control over the tone of your delay repeats.

Raiders757 likes this.

4. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-O-Master

Oct 17, 2013
    Huntington, WV
    I've not tried the MD500 but I have a friend who got one earlier this week...and sold it yesterday. I'll quote what he said about it. This is only his opinion/experience though so take accordingly:

"I got my MD-500 the other day and I feel like it kind of digitized my signal pretty bad. I’m also perceiving some shrillness that I didn’t have before so I gonna chalk it up to that."

"The MD-500 did not have an analog dry through upon further reading. I should have splurged the extra $70 the first time for the Mobius, but I got a really good deal on the Boss."

As an aside, I too would really like a Mobius.

Raiders757 likes this.

5. Raiders757

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    @Murphcaster

I thought about the Mobius, but an extra $100(at most retailers) seemed a bit steep. Especially when a lot of the comparison reviews seemed to lean towards the MD500 being the better value and if not better, equal.

I imagine by analog dry through your friend is referring to true bypass, which no Boss pedal that I know of has.

Thanks for sharing his thoughts. Sounds like he is more into analog pedals from those statements, but obviously I could be wrong. The MD500 is a digital modulator, as is the Mobius. He might end up paying more and getting the same results. Hope not. Just as I hope I am not as displeased as he was. Mine will be here tomorrow, so I will be spending the evening creating a new pedalboard around it after taking it for a small test run.

6. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-O-Master

Oct 17, 2013
    Huntington, WV
    Hope it works out. Let us know your thoughts.

Raiders757 likes this.

7. talkbox_64

talkbox_64 Strat-Talk Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Minnesota
    I have the trifecta. MD DD RV. Love all 3. If you love to tweak and get non traditional sounds....its there. Like traditional? All the sounds are there. I didn't feel it digitalized my sound excessively. However, this is not a pedal(s) that I would get rid of after a short time of playing. These are very deep and very flexible units. If you don't like experimenting..It might not be for you. but...if you are like me and love digging for new sounds...it works great.

Raiders757 likes this.

8. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2016
    Norway
    Boss?

Have they cleaned up the noisy converters from the DD20 days?

9. Raiders757

Sep 2, 2016
    Virginia
    Showed up over the weekend and I can't say enough about this thing. It's amazing! I haven't even worked it into my pedalboard yet, and have been running it straight into the amp for now. Thus far it has entertained me to no end. Well worth the investment.

20171202_123008.jpg