Join Strat-Talk Today

Anyone have experience with Vox Mini5, THR5, Micro Cube?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by BillK01, Oct 3, 2014.

1. BillK01

BillK01 Senior Stratmaster

I've been wanting a very small, very portable, battery powered amp.

Kind of been waffling between the Vox Mini5 Rhythm, Roland Micro Cube and in a distant third the Yamaha THR5 (due to price).

While I know the general consensus across the interwebs is the Yamaha is the best sound'wise I just don't know that I want to drop the extra cash on it.

I keep going back to the Vox Mini5 due to the built in rhythm section and the slightly larger speaker but so far there's not a whole lot of info out there directly comparing it to either the Micro Cube or the Yamaha.

So I'm wondering if anyone here has (or has had) a Vox Mini5 and could give me your impressions of it. Or for that matter if you have a Micro Cube or Yamaha THR5 and could offer opinions that'd be great too as I value this communitys input on such matters over the other places.

Thanks!

2. Nick-O

Nick-O Strat-O-Master

I have had to use a Micro Cube for Tuesday rehearsal for the past year. I am tone snob so I wanted to hate it, but it does the job and then some. I don't want to like it, but it has been great for this. So great, we now have two in the band for this same night...

3. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I got a MicroCube about 3 or 4 years ago, and I liked it so much I got a 2nd one.

I mostly use it for practice of course, but I have also taken it and a short scale electric while travelling. It actually sounds good when you mic it up for home recording. I posted a track a while back using it. They are pretty tough too, I have dropped one of them or both at least twice by accident with no ill effects. I think the speaker is going bad on one of mine, but I got them both used, so hard to say if they were abused.

I think the new model has some improvements, such as more top mounted controls (on/off switch and aux in) and it uses more 1/8 inch jacks, instead of 1/4 for the auxilary input. You can get the old model for $50 to $60 used without too much trouble or searching.

As always with an amp, try it out with your guitar or something similar, try all the knobs, crank it up when you try it if you plan on using it that way. The low end is not that great on them, which is no surprise with that little speaker, but I do not find that to be a big problem, since its mostly just the lowest notes on the E string that are affected.

4. BillK01

BillK01 Senior Stratmaster

Well I DO love the Rectifier sounds from the Micro Cube I've heard - which is what keeps bringing me back around to considering it.

5. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I don't use that "amp" much, but does seem to capture a lot of that high gain tone.

Mostly I use the Blackface and Brit Combo. I I like the phaser, flange, reverb and delay too. At some point I am going to patch it into a bigger amp to see how that works out.

I want to try that with my Pathfinder too.

6. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I have a THR5and really like it. The THR10 will let you save your settings if that's important.

7. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

THR is tops, 2nd choice the Vox, but yes, I ended up with the micro cube because it was 2nd hand and cheap. I use it for hotel room jamming when I am working away from home. Fine for that, just don't expect it to sound like your modded vibrolux reverb. It fits down in the corner of my rollerboard suitcase so that I'm not carrying an amplifier along with the guitar into the hotels. A few times too I've sat it on the tailgate of the truck and noodled when between appointments. Fun.

8. NorthShore

NorthShore Senior Stratmaster

My Micro Cube is well used because:

1. JC Clean voice is awesome
    2. Headphone jack for late night/early morning practice
    3. Battery powered is added bonus

9. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

"Anyone have experience with Vox Mini5, THR5, Micro Cube?"

Not the Vox Mini5, but the DA5. Cool little amp that can run on batteries and has some built-in effects.

10. adamsx

adamsx Strat-O-Master

I have owned the THR-5 for a long time now, and its easily the best $200 I've ever spent on gear. The thing has AMAZING clean tone, very blackface like, and it just sounds WAY bigger than it is. I do however, find the crunch and lead channels useless with a strat. I use the Brit HI and Modern channels for high gain stuff, and they both sound good, the Brit HI is a little too bright but can be tamed with the tone control.

The THR-5 and the THR-10 have the same amount of power, and I believe the same speaker setup. The THR-10 is just larger, and thus maybe a bit bigger sounding, and you can save your settings in presets. I preferred the small size of the THR-5 to the 10.

The preset option is the only reason I would ever go with the 10. They both come with computer software so that you can modify the settings in more detail than on the amp itself, but on the THR-5 you cannot save these presets on the amp, only in the software. So, if you have a preset you like, you have to use the software to access it again and again, which is a downside, and the only one I can think of with the THR-5.

It also makes an AMAZING little music player, plug in your ipod and it sounds like a bose wave radio. I use mine as my audio line-out for my computer, and it rocks. I cannot imagine a better sounding portable battery powered amp. The amp will run for a good 6 solid hours off battery life, be sure to buy rechargeables. Love my THR-5. Whenever the 5 gets updated to include a hardware preset option I would buy it as well.

THR-10 is very nice, but larger, and not nearly as cute as the 5 imo.

11. Nielsszzz

Nielsszzz New Member!

READ THIS!!!
    Yes i have experience with BOTH

and even tough the vox has more tonal options battery powered too

(Compared them side by side)

The microcube is just better,
    Warmer and richer sound in every setting!

I got a mesa boogie dc5 and a vox tube

But like the other guy said, you tried to hate the cube but it is just that good !

Say no to the vox
    And yes to the cube.

12. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

I would have to agree with this. I have the micro cube. I wanted the vox. I liked the added features of the vox, a little more wattage, and I think it looks cooler than the micro cube.
    I plugged them both in side by side.
    I bought the micro cube.
    The Yamaha I have no experience with.
    I'm sure it's great, I just never got to try one.

13. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

@adamsx is right, the THR5's clean tone is amazing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.