Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Anyone know which generation the noiseless pickups are in the DLX Strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Numbercruncher, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Strat-Talker

Nov 28, 2017
    Spokane, WA
    I have a deluxe strat (Sapphire Blue Transparent, $799 price point) which is advertised as having noiseless pickups. Anyone know if they are 4th generation or not?

I can see where the Elite models pickups are specifically called out as being 4th Generation Noiseless whereas the specs for my DLX model just say noiseless. It does make sense to NOT put the best noiseless pickups in a $799 guitar or it may canibalize sales of the model that sells for $1,000 more.

Some say the 4th generation are quite a bit better and while I am happy with what I have, it would be nice to know that if I am not happy I can upgrade to the better pickups if I wanted.

I'd like to be able to hear 4th generation noiseless side by side with the Shaw V-Mod Single Coils found in the American Pro guitar but my shop doesn't have one of each. I like noiseless but on my standard HSS Strat I only get hum in the middle pickup position with volume at 10. For practicing it simply isn't an issue but maybe those who gig have to be conscious of this.

NC

2. Morgenholz

Morgenholz Strat-Talker

Jan 17, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Depends on the year. 2010-2015 were N3, before that, samarium cobalt, and before that, Vintage Noiseless I believe. I think the N4s come with the current Elite.

3. railroadman

railroadman Strat-O-Master

Feb 24, 2012
    N.J.
    You're talking about the MIM Deluxe, right?

They're Vintage Noiseless.

@Morgenholz- you maybe thinking of the MIA Deluxe line?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    CalicoSkies likes this.

4. Morgenholz

Morgenholz Strat-Talker

Jan 17, 2015
    Indianapolis
    Yeah, my brain is biased toward American strats because that is what I play-- MIA Deluxe. Sounded like a good used price for one...

5. Numbercruncher

Numbercruncher Strat-Talker

Nov 28, 2017
    Spokane, WA
    I saw that same Vintage reference for the noiseless pickups but did not know if that would be generation 1, 2, 3 or 4. I guess vintage noiseless will be different than 4th generation noiseless.

If I go so far as to get a custom shop strat I am trying to decide between 3 single coil noiseless or the V-Mod pickups. My local shop doesn't have both that I can hear, I think, so I am just trying to compare to what I am familiar with. And while I cannot yet appreciate a custom shop guitar, the year long wait has me thinking if I want one in a year's time it will then be ready as opposed to having to wait for another year.

NC

6. John C

John C Senior Stratmaster

Jul 17, 2012
    Kansas City
    They are the Generation 1 pickups that were used in American Deluxes from 1908-2003. They started showing up in MIMs in the mid-2000s (at least a couple of years after the American Deluxes switched to SCN pickups, which were the 2nd generation of noiseless pickups).

Numbercruncher likes this.

7. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    I've heard this also, they use the Vintage Noiseless in the current MIM Deluxe.

I think Fender has caused some confusion with the "Deluxe" naming, because now when someone asks a question and just mentions "Deluxe Strat", we have to ask if they're talking about the MIM models (there was the older Deluxe Player's Strat, and now simply the "Deluxe Strat" which is a MIM model) or an earlier American Deluxe model.

8. esseff

esseff Strat-Talk Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Australia
    Yup, gen 1, which are still used on the Eric Clapton model. I have a Dlx Roadhouse which also has a mid boost active circuit which is activated by an S1 switch and tonally tweaked with a 6 position tone control. Very versatile.
    ae00-40351.jpg