Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Anyone still listen to the actual radio?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Mississippi_Kid, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Mississippi_Kid

Mississippi_Kid Senior Stratmaster

The XM Radio subscription in my car recently expired, and I had only the regular radio. I imagine we all used to listen to local radio stations. Now...never. Whether I'm at home, work or car, I listen to some other form of music...satellite radio, YouTube, Pandora, Amazon, or even just tons of digital songs on a thumb drive. Anyone still tuning in the AM or FM?

I guess I don't miss it, or I'd listen to it.

abnormaltoy and circles like this.

2. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

we leave the radio playing while we are out of the house. keeps the dogs a little more relaxed. CBC radio One is what we have it tuned to.

3. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Strat-Talker

Jul 8, 2016
    Mississauga
    I’m working on a job right now that has no wifi, so I’m being forced to listen to ‘terrestrial radio’.....I haven’t listened to ‘radio’ since I got Sirius/XM 5 years ago....it’s horrible lol. #thestruggleisreal

altar, velvet_man and Mississippi_Kid like this.

4. alderre

alderre Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    No. I tried and you have to be lucky to catch any station during actual music-playing time.

I'd estimate 80% is commercials

5. Tuica

Tuica Strat-Talker

Jun 5, 2017
    Portland, Oregon
    Oh yes. At home/ in the car. Talk radio; music; old time radio theater. Exceeds my TV viewing/Internet by a considerable factor. Like someone once claimed - "I prefer radio to television - the pictures are much better."

trapdoor2 and Mississippi_Kid like this.

6. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    Sure, all the time. The radio reaches something like 80 or 90% of the population according to the radio advertising spiel I heard yesterday. Can't remember the exact figure, but it was high.

There are plenty of stations that advertise that they only have five minutes of ads an hour or whatever.

I mainly listen to talk radio, but music is in there, too.

7. rfriday

rfriday Strat-Talker

Jul 31, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Here in St. Louis we have K-SHE 95. It's the oldest rock radio station in the country and it's on in my office all day every day.

8. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    I listen to the local FM classic rock channel mainly for the morning DJs on my drive to work. The music is usually what gets me to turn it off or pop in a CD (you can only hear so much Foreigner, Bad Company, and Eagles in your life....)

otto6457, axis69, Raiders757 and 6 others like this.

9. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    I drive an older pickup, 2002 avalanche 2500. In the 13 elantra we have Sirius though. But, in the truck I am either listening to the local rock station or NPR. NPR is just such a good unbiased news source and they are always covering something interesting it seems.

Of course a lot of times I prefer the silence too though.

axis69 likes this.

10. Frankg11

Frankg11 Strat-Talker

Feb 10, 2010
    D.C./L.A./Seattle
    I listen to Radio (Broadcast) from time to time, It's not very good anymore.

RE you XM subscription. If you have had it for some time, call them up and let them know that you think it's too expensive of the little use you get our of your car. Complain and they will send you to customer retention where you can get a great deal for 90 days, At the end of 90 days repeat.

I have two cars on Sirrius/XM and have for about 10 years. I was paying like $400 a year for both cars. I let it expire and they called me to re-up. Complained that I drive my cars less than 10K a year, I am only in my cars a few hours a month and $20 or more a month is to expensive for a few hour of listening. I can't justify the value.... Yada Yada.

I have a 90 program for both cars at $30 for the 90 days. You can do a little work and get a great deal from them because they have to have subscribers to stay in business. A lost subscriber hurst more than the lost money.

P.S. they are in such trouble that they are trying to buy Pandora to get the mobile phone markets and with all the new cars linking to your phone, pandora and Spotify is being played more in cars than Sirrius/XM.

Mississippi_Kid likes this.

11. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    I stopped listening to the radio in the early 2000's. I always had CDs with me. Then iPods came along. Now I have a 256 GB memory card in my phone that holds virtually my entire music collection. For those odd things I want to check out...there's Spotify.

12. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2010
    Peardale CA
    Not a luddite:
    But:

The very height of my technology
    I have Pandora, in the pc...
    I record to thumb drives
    I have a thing in my twenty year old pickup that goes into my tape slot that makes it a Bluetooth receiver
    -------------------
    HooHaaa, Hoopy Dooppy
    Ono Tasa Sata be gettin down

13. nederemer

nederemer Strat-O-Master

Oct 25, 2017
    Somerset, Kentucky, USA.
    I got them down to like 8 bucks a month or something crazy like that in my car. Only the deal was for a year. I have always just paid for the entire year.

14. stratcpo

stratcpo Senior Stratmaster

Jan 19, 2010
    south texas USA
    Heck yeah, every time i get in the car I listen to the radio. ENJOY!!!

15. Mississippi_Kid

Mississippi_Kid Senior Stratmaster

Funny...my teenage self could be transported to the present day and listen to much of the radio with almost no change.

Young Me: Wow, "Juke Box Hero" was playing when I left the 80s...and it's still playing now in 2017!
    Old Me: I've got some good news and some bad news. The good news is that you can listen to any song, anywhere for free.
    Young Me: Awesome! So...what's the bad news?
    Old Me: We're still listening to the music from your time.

Sarnodude, vid1900 and sam_in_cali like this.

16. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 21, 2014
    Santa Maria, CA
    Has anybody ever successfully quit XM radio? I tried cancelling once and I swear buying a house was simpler. :mad:

Tuica and Mississippi_Kid like this.

17. velvet_man

velvet_man Strat-Talker

Sep 7, 2016
    Vancouver
    For the most part, no, I don't listen to radio. It's WAY too repetitive and the music selection too narrow.

When I commuted to work, I'd listen to radio for the DJs. They were great, but the music was always the same handful of tracks that got rotated in and out every two weeks.

18. alderre

alderre Strat-O-Master

May 1, 2014
    New Braunfels
    I love NPR. But I have to ask you if you really meant to type "unbiased" there...

NPR is definitely leaning left. Not knocking it. just saying

19. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Victoria TX
    Oh my goodness. Saying nothing more.

Okay, alderre beat me to it. Very few more biased would have been a more accurate description.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017

20. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    Yes and it annoys me. More time taken up with bs than playing music. Thank god it's only in the car

Stratoman10 and Mississippi_Kid like this.