Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Anything similar to a Blues Junior w/ Master?

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by Dare1, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2011
    Idaho
    Hey y'all,

TL;DR version:

Looking for a tube amp similar to a Blues Junior NOS (tweed) in size and price, just to see if there is anything less expensive WITH a Master Volume. (Absolute must.) If there isn't anything, I'll go with the NOS. Just trying to save money where I can and find any other options that I might have glanced over.

Longer version:

So I've been looking for a small-ish tube amp to record with. My main interest right now is the NOS (tweed) Blues Junior. However, if there's something similar in size, with a lesser price, with a Master Volume, let me know. I've searched high and low, and there are lots of awesome amps out there, but the only one with a Master that I've found so far seems to be the Blues Junior. I've considered something even smaller as well like the Champion 600, but if I'm spending the money, I might as well get what I'm after. I don't have an awesome microphone, but it gets the job done. It seems to only take well to pretty quiet-ish settings on the amp. Also, the pedals I have don't play well with the Mustang I. I've tried so hard to record with my Deluxe Reverb, but no matter how many settings I mess with, I can't get a good recording out of it. It sounds alright I guess, but it bothers me enough to delete the project and start over.

Anyway, I guess this is a good excuse to try snatching up an amp I've actually wanted for years now, but the whole recording aspect is another big reason I guess. Thanks for the help everyone.

Martins Strat likes this.
  2. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    First question.. do you have to buy new? I would have thought that being in the States there's plenty of choice in amps..

As for the BJ.. there's both lovers and haters on this forum. I'm a lover, and have owned one of the first Tweed BJ's from new.. 1996. Not modded in any way, the amp has been a trusty companion to me and my guitars since I bought it.

Re the Master Volume, I feel exactly the same. I use it to the max in a variety of settings. Over-driving both power and pre-amp stages to my taste, and playing glacial cleans when I want to as well. According to some, you're not meant to be able to do that.. :rolleyes:

Ok, I'm biased, and I'm not answering your question re a comparative amp to the BJ. I'll admit, I don't know one, and I think if I were you I'd still go for a BJ, but on the used market. Things always turn up if you're patient, and maybe in a few years down the road you'll be glad you didn't compromise.. :thumb:

Dare1 and Electgumbo like this.
  3. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Try a Vox ac10. I have one of the limited edition versions with upgraded Celestion, and MAN is that thing a beautiful noisemaker. Just DRIPS tone. And with a Master volume. :)

The-Kid, Dare1 and Electgumbo like this.
  4. Dare1

Dare1 Senior Stratmaster

Feb 16, 2011
    Idaho
    Thanks for the advice y'all, and no I have no intention of buying new. Used is perfectly fine with me. I've seen some around the interwebs for around $325-$450 depending on condition. I'll probably just keep waiting and checking around local shops to see if they end up with any in stock. And I'll keep an eye out for some AC-10s as well, so I can do some comparisons; thanks Tony!

TSims1 likes this.
  5. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

Nov 11, 2012
    New York
  6. problem-child

problem-child Senior Stratmaster

Aug 28, 2008
    Left Coast, USA
    If smaller is acceptable you might also have a look (on the used market) at the Vox AC4C1. 4 watts and a master. I have one and have even gigged with it mic'ed. The price is right and performance will exceed expectations.

https://reverb.com/p/vox-ac4c1

7. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    Pro Jr.

It's a way better amp (IMO) than the blooze junior.

StevieMar, tery, TSims1 and 2 others like this.
  8. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

I love the mesa studio 22

9. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    One of Jeff Beck's stage setups. Where's the mic?

download (2).jpeg

10. Bighump

Bighump Strat-Talk Member

Aug 1, 2017
    Louisiana
    I saw Gearmandude Put a pro junior in a bigger mojotone Cabinet with a 12 and man that thing rocked hard

11. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    If you look around on eBay there are 1×12 tweed cabs with a PJ cut out.

With a 12, these things get into tweed deluxe (5e3) territory. If they ran octals instead of those wimpy el84s, they'd slay everything in their class.

12. sssstratsss

sssstratsss Strat-Talker

Dec 6, 2017
    Shreveport, Louisiana
    Not a tweed, but I've been really impressed with my monoprice 15w.

Triple Jim likes this.
  13. mutato

mutato Senior Stratmaster

Jul 10, 2007
    RI
    Frankly, if I were you, put that money into getting better microphone. You say you have a Deluxe reverb and a Mustang amp? Between those two, you should have a good guitar recording covered. Especially with pedals and such. I use a SM57 in front of my princeton reverb, using pedals and easily get some good guitar tones onto tracks. And that mic is around $90?

https://ehomerecordingstudio.com/electric-guitar-microphones/

Also work on mic'ing techniques for guitar amps:
    https://www.barryrudolph.com/stellar/guitar.html

STRATCATMAN and jrbirdman like this.
  14. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Senior Stratmaster

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    Any Princeton style amp with a post phase inverter master volume (maybe a $150 mod) is highly likely to make you forget the BJr.

I know mods aren't everyone's cup of tea, but this MV changed my life. Well, tonally speaking.

15. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    Just saw the with a master volume. Forget the PJ.

FWIW, I own no master volume amps. :)

TheDuck likes this.
  16. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    Bugera V22.
    Walks all over the Blues Jr in every way, and is much cheaper.
    Put a EQ pedal in the effects loop and a drive pedal or two out front and you can easily get Vox, Fender and Marshall like tones.

17. 808K

808K Strat-Talker

Apr 24, 2018
    Philly, USA
    I hate posts like this...make me think I need another amp...which I definitely don’t need...I just need better skills.

18. TSims1

Aug 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA

COMPLETELY agree with this and try to tell everyone who will listen.

TheDuck, dogletnoir and fezz parka like this.
  19. fezz parka

Apr 21, 2011
    ₩¥€£§μГ
    They're wicked little amps. :)

dogletnoir and TSims1 like this.
  20. TSims1

Aug 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA

I ran a pair in stereo for awhile for and it was amazing. Big stages too.......I’d bring em out and split em side to side and crank em up. Sounded amazing. LOUD amps.

TheDuck and fezz parka like this.