Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Are pedalboards doomed?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by MetalPedal, Nov 5, 2018.

1. MetalPedal

MetalPedal Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    Two years into playing guitar using a Boss GT-100, a Boss GT-001 then Amplitube and then mostly BIAS FX on the iPad and iPhone (so I can gig with it).

Decided I wanted to see what all the physical fuss was about. Spent the whole damn weekend building cables, making mistakes in pedal placement, taking it apart, trying again. I did test everything out first.

In the end, I still don't have a sound I like nearly as much as my digital presets living in the brains of my iOS devices. When you think of it, even the most advanced rig such as the Helix, don't even have half the processing power of the A12x chip in my 8 Plus.

I don't think I'll be continuing on the pedalboard path but I am going to use this rig for band practice. I am having fun with the Wah pedal though and the Big Muff Pi is glorious.

If I ever do want to really get serious about a physical board, I'm going to use something like the Helix or Headrush products. But, why not just keep gigging and playing with the BIAS FX?

I think I spent $1000.00 putting everything together. Feeling disappointed.

2. jeff h

jeff h Senior Stratmaster

Jan 13, 2017
    Ohio
    I have fun with a handful of pedals at band practice but recently, I had a problem with one pedal in the chain so I just hooked straight up to the amp with not pedals at all. Just me and a volume know on the guitar. It was oddly refreshing not to have to worry about when to hit different pedals. :p So my pedal board may be doomed, but for different reasons.

crashbelt and MetalPedal like this.
  3. jeff h

jeff h Senior Stratmaster

Jan 13, 2017
    Ohio
    <edit> double post.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  4. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

I much rather pedals over a multi effects

it may just be because multi effects have always seemed like toys to me.. and that could be because of the ones we had when I was growing up and getting used to guitar..

but I just cant really get behind them as much as I can a pedal board with the pedals I want.

I have no use for 90 different flangers.

5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    I got bored with pedals in the 80s.

crashbelt, Nasser, MetalPedal and 2 others like this.
  6. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
    Yeah this was said in the 80's when guys used dozens of rack mounted processors. Everyone said pedals were dead. Then they came back stronger than ever and spawned a whole boutique market with crazy prices. Pedals are not doomed.

7. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Senior Stratmaster

Feb 8, 2011
    Raleigh NC
  8. TheDuck

TheDuck Most Honored Senior Member

Jan 12, 2016
    Lil' Rhody
    I prefer pedals. But, different scenarios require different tools. So ....

Theres no digital device made that can recreate the tone and feel of a MXR Micro Amp into a Big Muff, into an Electric Mistress, into a Memory Man or Boss DD. (both delays at once, sometimes)
    Of course those are just a few of my favorites, Im sure everyones preferences differ, but you get my point ;)

Digital does have its merits though.
    For in home use and home recording, I feel digital has the upper hand.
    No amps and cabs, isolation boxes, mics, etc.
    The cost savings going digital vs analog are enough to sway most amateurs and even some pros.

But on stage, or in a studio, nothing beats the "old ways" of pedals into a screaming tube amp.

Pedals aren't doomed, and the sky isn't falling.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  9. TSims1

TSims1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I think we just get used to what we are used to. I use it all. I record most often with plugins. I’ve gigged extensively with Helix. Currently I’m back to an all analog board through tube amps. I like all of these avenues, but have to remind myself when switching over to not expect the same experience. Instead, find the usefulness in each and enjoy each for what they are.

Pedals are in no danger of extinction, that’s for sure. We simply live in a beautiful era of choices. :)

10. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    Yeah.. me too.. after getting my first motorbike I never looked back.. :D

SAguitar, Percy, Boognish and 3 others like this.
  11. Nick-O

Nick-O Strat-Talker

Jun 20, 2014
    SC
    There is something about pedals and pedalboards I really like. I enjoy building boards with sanitary wiring, looking clean and high end. I love delay and reverb that is of such high quality in pedals, and of course the Cali 76 and Chase Tone "Secret Preamp" which are in a class by themselves...but...both of my gigs are direct to FOH and using remote amps are no longer an option...so Helix. I was going to do Kemper cause I love my pedals, but in the past 12 months or more, i am only allowed a small patch of real estate so even the Helix is getting the stink eye....
    I only use a couple of effects now anyway, so grew content in my compromise a while back...spending my GAS on guitars and focusing more on the details of my playing.
    .02¢

12. MetalPedal

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    You only have to use one lol.

Will Lefeurve likes this.
  13. MetalPedal

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    Duplicate post. StratTalk is a bit broken this morning.

14. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I wasn’t playing in a band anymore so I sold a bunch of pedals to buy a Boss GT6. It was fun for a while but got bored of it so sold it to buy a couple of pedals. Now that I’ve accumulated a little pedalboard I miss the ease of the multi FX. With all the latest technology available I’m having to fight the urge to sell the pedals and get another multi FX.

I’d love to get a helix but just can’t justufy the cost since It’s just a hobby now.

15. MetalPedal

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    Not doomed completely no but the one good thing about going the pedal route now is that used pedals are plentiful and cheap as guys switch to MFX.

Stratoskater likes this.
  16. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
  17. MetalPedal

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    Makes sense. On my pedalboard is also a DI box so I can go balanced XLR into a mixer when needed.

Nick-O likes this.
  18. MetalPedal

Oct 22, 2016
    Auto-Wah, Canada
    What about the new "stompbox" versions of the larger MFX units?

19. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    I like pedals.... a lot. I like mixing up different things for different results.

The Multieffect units do come in handy if your making some complicated sound and need it at the push of a button. Yes and for recording.

I’ve been thinking of getting a Mooer Red Truck for rehearsal use... good little unit.

20. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 26, 2010
    Scott La.
    I like pedals.... a lot. I like mixing up different things for different results.

The Multieffect units do come in handy if your making some complicated sound and need it at the push of a button. Yes and for recording.

I’ve been thinking of getting a Mooer Red Truck for rehearsal use... good little unit.

21. dirocyn

dirocyn Strat-O-Master

Jan 20, 2018
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I used to play with a guy who used a Digitec multi-unit, back in the early 90s. I never liked the way that rig sounded, it was always too bright. Might have been the way he set it--and he always took a really long time to set up a new voice too, really a waste of practice time. There has to have been a world of improvement in multi FX units, effects built into amps, etc.; if things were still at the early 90s level the whole concept would have been abandoned by now.

Honestly the pedals (or lack thereof) and the amp are part of the instrument. If you get a new instrument, it takes a while to learn how to play it. Most FX sound like crap if you turn them all the way up, usually the best sounds happen when the effect is pretty subtle. Digital systems will do some effects better than others; there's no reason a digital multi-unit can't perform every bit as well as a stand alone Digital Delay, nor any reason a digital system would not work well as an EQ. But I don't want to wait around for someone to plug in a laptop to twiddle their knobs to make some whacko effect maybe change not at all. I've got better things to do with my time.

22. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2016
    Norway
    It's all a matter of the right gear for the right person! My pedalboard is pretty extensive (read expensive) and most gigs i won't bring it, but rather a few crucial parts of it the preamp, reverb and tuner. (Effectrode backbird, the Strymon big sky, and TC polytune).

Touring I have seen the modelers as amaizing tools. But getting at the tones that I like, and that can accomondate my ever changing path as a player and the inconsistency of every room (and PA) I play in is still pretty hard.

There is also the 20/80 law. 80% of the work gets done on 20% of the tools. I experienced this alot when I set up my gt8 for touring back in the day. It was packed with stuff, but I ended up with the same effects and amp models anyway.

In this way, buying a Helix or some thing like that would bring me lots of choices I don't wan't.

So limiting those choices and physical picking my drive, my clean, boost, mods, delays and reverbs and amplifier based om my needs was very satifying, but took a while (7 years). And I am proably at twice the price of the Helix. But I don't need editors, menues and screens.

circles likes this.
  23. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

Nov 11, 2012
    New York
    I love pedals. For one thing, if you're gonna have gas, they're cheaper than guitars or amps.

They feel more like little instruments to me than the multi effect stuff.

circles, 93-Strat and Stratbats like this.
  24. guitarface

guitarface Senior Stratmaster

Nov 11, 2012
    New York
    Double sorry

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  25. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Sanitary wiring?? OCD?

26. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    Sanitary wiring?? OCD?

Stratbats likes this.
  27. Stratbats

Stratbats Strat-Talker

Feb 16, 2018
    WV
    I'm getting more into pedals than ever. So my opinion is no. We seem to living in the Golden Age of pedals.

circles and The Strat Dude like this.