Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Are pedalboards doomed?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by MetalPedal, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Nasser

Nasser Strat-Talk Member

May 10, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    The bigger question is Are electric guitars doomed? As far as I'm concerned the answer to both questions is... NO!!!! :cool:

Stratbats likes this.
  2. Nick-O

Nick-O Strat-Talker

Jun 20, 2014
    SC
    Why yes, yes it is!
    :whistling:

amstratnut likes this.
  3. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    ive never used alot of pedals. there are 5 on my board and one is a tuner.
    the 500x is overkill for me, but i just had to have it.
    i think both have their place.....for home and recording i love the pod...... but for live i really like the tube amp/pedal setup.

4. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    I had an alesis quadraverb gt in the 80s and 90s. Programming it sucked. I guess I never got over that. Pedals are really easy to dial in.

I like pedals cause you can buy the one you like without having to worry about others you dont.

I really dislike techie stuff when it comes to music.

jojo68 and JustABluesGuy like this.
  5. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

Keep the pedals and get a multi efx unit too. When you get tired of one change out. Or even better get another amp too. Then you can just go from one right to the other

Chont likes this.
  6. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Ad space available Strat-Talk Supporter

I have had many multi processors and moddeling whutchamacallits, now I use a tuner and a delay, sometimes my OCD. I love the organic and sweet pure sound my amp gives me, for my nightly out in the shed gigs.:D

Electgumbo and Stratbats like this.
  7. Chont

Chont Senior Stratmaster

Sep 25, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I’m leaning towards a Katana. I like COSM modeling and I really want a new amp. I have zero need for a loud Tube amp so I think keeping the pedals and getting a katana may give me the best of both worlds.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  8. Stratoman10

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

I thought about a Katana but decided against it. I've tried one modeler with built in effects and two other amps with built ins. I ended up getting rid of them. They just always ended up not not sounding quite right after the new car smell were off. So now I have 3 Blackstar amps and a Hughes and Kettner. I'm not really big on pedals anyway. Some delay and some OD and compression for low volumes and I'm good. Maybe some chorus if I'm feeling adventurous

9. Stratoman10

Aug 24, 2015
    Va. Beach, Va

I thought about a Katana but decided against it. I've tried one modeler with built in effects and two other amps with built ins. I ended up getting rid of them. They just always ended up not not sounding quite right after the new car smell were off. So now I have 3 Blackstar amps and a Hughes and Kettner. I'm not really big on pedals anyway. Some delay and some OD and compression for low volumes and I'm good. Maybe some chorus if I'm feeling adventurous

10. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson
    Nope.

Their flexibility is unbeatable.

Morf2540 likes this.
  11. JamesE

JamesE Strat-Talker

Mar 30, 2018
    Hamburg, Germany
    My first digital box was a Zoom. Fun for a kid to play with - all those different FX in one box! The downside is that you have to pre-program it BEFORE you can play anything.
    Example - Smoke on the Water
    sound 1 - distortion for dun dun duh
    sound 2 - quiet during singing
    sound 3 - C and AbM arpeggios (smo-o-oke on the wa-a-ter)
    sound 2 - (Fire in the sky-y)
    repeat 3
    repeat 2
    repeat 1
    second verse and chorus the same
    sound 4 - guitar solo
    sound 5 - end of guitar solo
    back to sound 1 for 3rd verse and chorus

5 different sounds - I think my Zoom could manage 8. And then? If I want to play a different song, I have to re-program it. OK, so you buy a unit that can store 000s of sounds. Then you can have years of fun pre-programing 000s of sounds!

Now you go on stage. You're improvising a solo and you just feel that you need that X sound - just stomp on the X pedal! Easy!

Morf2540 likes this.
  12. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Are pedalboards doomed?

Mine isn't.

13. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    As long as electric guitars stay relevant, pedalboards will be relevant.

I’ll never spend money on one, but they’ll be relevant overall.

Main thing to remember is that electric guitar peaked somewhere between the 50s and 80s.. and the majority of guitar technology is trying to replicate those things. So not much (with precedent in the 50s-80s) about the electric guitar will die off, until the instrument fades into a niche status.

Even if multiFX could 100 percent accurately reproduce pedal sounds, the hype train for guitar products is strong enough to keep an irrelevant product going.

After all, I did get a targeted ad for a product that clips onto the headstock to add weight and increase sustain..... doesn’t get any more worthless than this, and this product is on the market: pedals aren’t going away anytime soon, if people are buying nonsense like this.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
    abnormaltoy likes this.
  14. nickmsmith

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    Edit: this site is being weird since the strange offline-time

abnormaltoy likes this.
  15. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

Feb 17, 2016
    New Zealand
    I find all the various modeling options eat too much time messing about with sounds and set up - I always seem to be on the verge of a sound I like but never quite there...

I find physical pedals with fewer buttons much more satisfying to play around with.

Ebidis likes this.
  16. duzie

duzie Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

May 1, 2016
    northwest nj
    So everyone is wondering
    Did the sustain increase with the new gizmo ?
    I need one
    What colors do they come in?

17. JamesE

JamesE Strat-Talker

Mar 30, 2018
    Hamburg, Germany
    They weren't aiming it at SG owners by any chance, were they? SGs are notorious for having necks heavier than bodies!

18. nickmsmith

Jul 28, 2011
    Pawnee, Indiana
    duzie likes this.
  19. carver

carver The East Coast Strangler Strat-Talk Supporter

I had a quick talk with the pedals last night

they thought this thread was funny and told me to shut up.

Stormy Monday likes this.
  20. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    When I decided to dive into pedals, I decided to get a Zoom G5 to fool around with different effects to decide on what I wanted/needed. The G5 was cheaper than the basic set of pedals I thought I'd need for sure.

It worked so well that I never felt the need for individual pedals. Instead, I upgraded to a Boss GT-100. I've tried "real" pedals and wasn't wowed by them. So I'm sticking with MFX for now.

21. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2016
    Norway
    IMG_0233.JPG Most pedal boards have outlived a generations of multifx. Try boasting about the editors and DAW integration when they discontinue the drivers and software for your multifx.

Axefx3 looks stunning and Fractal has raised the bar once again! Can't wait for Line6, kemper and Headrush to up their game! But I will... Guess I Can do all the stuff I need on this.