Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Are pedalboards doomed?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by MetalPedal, Nov 5, 2018.

1. SAguitar

SAguitar Senior Stratmaster

Jun 28, 2014
    Oregon
    This is my current set of stompers, subject to change of course. I also have a Boss GT-6 and a Line 6 XT Live that I drag out once in awhile. I would love to try some of the current stuff like Helix and Fractal but haven't been able to justify the expense yet.

[​IMG]

jojo68, Stratbats and circles like this.
  2. jjudas

jjudas Strat-O-Master

May 18, 2016
    Metro New Orleans
    I'm not a gigging musician. I'm just a at home player. I decided after buying several pedals, to not go the stomp box route. I'm happy using my Boss ME50 and ME70 multi effects units.

circles likes this.
  3. Guitarhacker

Guitarhacker Strat-Talker

Apr 19, 2013
    California
    I like the individualistic aspect of assembling your own pedal board. You can pick which type of effect you are looking for and which pedal builder you want. There are some fantastic pedal makers out there right now.

Stratbats and circles like this.
  4. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

For the longest time I just used a little delay, but in recent years I've been exploring all sorts of sounds and love them. It's like being a cook in the kitchen, adding spices and stuff. I'd like to have stereo amps (Stratoman10 for example!), not practical at this juncture. Wouldn't be prudent.

Stratbats likes this.
  5. Nasser

Nasser Strat-Talk Member

May 10, 2015
    Toronto, Canada
    Here's the thing. Everything in your chain has an affect on your tone.... and if you're a tone connoisseur (and most guitarists are tone chasers) , then different pedals will offer you different flavors and shades of color - whether we're talking OD, modulation, delays, reverbs, etc.. Mixing and matching your pedals with your pickups, amp, strings, and even you picks will give you an infinite pallet to work with. Even if you're going for a very minimal setup having this flexibility is a great benefit.

I've very much embraced emulations and plugins with great success but there's still a reason why valve amps are still around... they not only sound great but more importantly they feel great and they inspire. I feel the same way about pedals.

For a while they were out of vogue when everyone was rack mounting in the 80's but it's no accident that we've come back to using pedals and still use valve amps... and it's no accident that we're seeing something of a golden age with the proliferation of pedal and amp manufacturers.

It's a great time to be an electric guitar player.

Cheers,
    nas

6. joebloggs

joebloggs Strat-Talker

Jun 18, 2017
    The backyard
    ^^^^ Agreed! I love each and every one of my pedals, and will not be getting rid of them. Plus I really like the way they look.:) Companies like Strymon have made big advances in technology and are making high quality units.

7. Kayden33

Kayden33 Strat-Talker

Apr 23, 2017
    Knoxville, TN
    I’m not lazy, I love pedals and I love to tweak and turn knobs. I suppose if you’re ok with living within a processor boundary and never experimenting to find your own sound I guess take the processor way.

I myself feel limited when using a processor, by limited I mean I’m living within a sound that’s given to me by that manufacturer. Of course you can tweak but your tweaking within the set limits of whatever your given.

I feel possibility’s are endless with pedals because you have so many manufacturers, designs, components and more.

I feel a processor is a cheap way to “emulate” but it’s never gonna cut it. I’m not saying processors are bad but I’m not trusting a company that creates and jam packs every sound I could need into a processor. Hell no, that’s why we have so many overdrive, phaser, choruses, fuzz pedals and more. If your going the processor route you might well buy a solid state amp and maybe even then a Line 6 amp because by this point it’s over. I have several Reverb delay, overdrive, fuzz pedals and more. I have more than one because each sounds different and no matter how I tweak them they don’t sound the same. So with the processor your stuck within that range of what your given.

Just my opinion

8. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 3, 2009
    Mobile Bay
    No, pedalboards are here to stay!

Stay tuned, my next creation will be a product of the cold months here to come, in the U.S.

There is a problem in the pedalboard world, too many black boards! My next invention will have wood grain that pops, yes grain that you can see, and is visually appealing.

Alas, it will be one of a kind. Perhaps you will see it as an inspiration to BUILD a good looking, pedalboard of your own.

9. JamesE

JamesE Strat-Talker

Mar 30, 2018
    Hamburg, Germany
    I guess most of them are black so you can see where the chrome switch is... I've got a VOX Big Ben. It's chrome with a chrome switch.