Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Mod Kits Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Are Squier necks all interchangeable?

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Stringbender11, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Stringbender11

Stringbender11 Senior Stratmaster

I have an Indonesian Standard Strat made in '07 which has a rosewood fret board which I'm thinking of swapping out for a maple neck. My question is, will any Squier neck - Affinity, protone, bullet, etc fit the body pocket? I want this to be a simple bolt on project, not mod the guitar in any way to make something fit. And I don't want to buy an aftermarket neck.
    Also, is a Standard neck theoretically of higher quality than say an Affinity neck, or bullet neck due to the cost difference? Thanks!

2. Krab

Krab ----------------------

not sure about the affinity since they have a narrow nut but all the others will fit

3. Ausquier

Ausquier Senior Stratmaster

Affinities have also got a thinner heel I think, so that can be an issue. Maybe a few Squier models with different pocket spacing too?

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Krab

Krab ----------------------

Yeah from everything I can remember all but the narrow nut squiers will take all fender necks

6. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I've interchanged tons, and they all have fit. Maybe some don't, but pretty much all of them will. I have a nice looking sunburst bullet body with an Affinity neck, fits LIKE A GLLLOVE.

[​IMG]

7. Ausquier

Bullets and Affinities are (mostly) both thinner bodies and thinner heel/pocket. So that's not a huge surprise. If you put and affinity neck on a SE body the pocket depth will be an issue and vice versa of course.

8. stradovarious

stradovarious Senior Stratmaster

Korean Squier II necks have much thicker heel and will fit in all MIC and MII Squier Strat bodies, however you will jack the saddles to the mood and still not have clearance above the frets. The MIC/MII to MIC/MII Squier swaps seem to all work fine in terms of interchangeability regardless of neck or body, as long as both are MIC or MII.

9. Fiddler

Fiddler Strat-Talk Member

I put an Affinity Neck on a MIA Strat. Fits like a Glove---------and sounds better than when the MIA neck was attached.

10. nickmsmith

Ya. The worst I've had to do is redrill the screw holes in the neck.. no biggie.

11. Stringbender11

Thanks for the replies. Its funny looking on ebay there are a TON of Squier rosewood necks, and virtually no original maple necks, leading me to believe lots of other people are doing the same thing I'm attempting. I'm thinking now I may shoot for a US Strat maple neck as there seem to be more of those available, though they cost quite a bit more.

12. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member

JUST FYI put an affinity neck on a Japanese strat body and it fit just fine, and the same neck is now on a starcaster which has a Fender spec neck and heel. So it should fit any other fender spec body as well

13. stratphobic

stratphobic -----------------------

i have an affinity on a standard body and it works perfectly.

14. Ausquier

If its an older Affinity it would fit fine, newer large headstock Affinities are slimmer heel.

15. jewfresus

jewfresus Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, the heels/pockets are usually all about the same on Fender Strats.

16. stratphobic

stratphobic -----------------------

04 affinity neck, 01 standard body

17. Ausquier

Big headstock? Maybe the early ones were fatter.

18. Yogi

Yogi Most Honored Senior Member

Yeah I have a 2000, Fat headstock, slim body Affinity and it fits fine in the standard neck pockets.

19. Stringbender11

Well I bought an Indo made maple Affinity neck off of ebay, hopefully I get lucky when it arrives and it fits. I'll update this thread then so others will know as well. :)

20. nickmsmith

It should be just fine. The closest thing I've ever had is when an affinity neck is slightly (like a fraction of a cm) too wide for a bullet body I have. It would still work and be totally playable, it just hangs over VERY slightly on the cutout side of the neck pocket.

21. Lucifarion

Lucifarion Strat-Talker

I have swapped affinity/ bullet necks onto all types of strat bodies with no issues. I like tele necks on strats, they fit fine but because of the heel shape (strats having a rounded heel and tele's having squared heel) there is a small gap... no biggie, worth it for the tele neck profile.

I can't think of any time when I've had to make any major adjustments to get a neck to fit in the pocket, maybe a lil sanding to deal with some overhang but nothing more severe then that. all fender necks and pockets are pretty much the same width across the board (strats, teles, jazz-masters), the heel shape does differ though.