Warmoth.com Amplified Parts darrenriley.com Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

are there any "fender"s made in china?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Ianreed99, Jan 31, 2012.

1. Ianreed99

Ianreed99 Strat-Talk Member

There's a guy locally that has 2 "fender" strats not squiers. Made in china. Are they real, fake, or a relogo?
    He wants $300 each.
    Thanks in advance.

2. blackstrat

blackstrat Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Never heard of any chinese Fender-branded guitar..

3. ledet

ledet Strat-O-Master

The Modern Player series is made in China.
    So is several Fender branded acoustics - Stratocoustics included.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. blackstratmaple

blackstratmaple Strat-O-Master

Yes. As mentioned, the new modern player series is made in China. They are Fender and seem to run about $399 ?

I remember wondering how they were so inexpensive, so I looked right away and remember it saying China and wondering if that was a first (for electrics).

6. ledet

ledet Strat-O-Master

If it's a Strat it's not a Modern Player, though.

7. Omiewise65

Omiewise65 Strat-O-Master

modern in german also means to be in a state of rotting .;)

Like Nissan Pajero means the driver prefers .. ah , the manual mode .:rolleyes:

8. blackstrat

blackstrat Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sorry, I didn't know that, it must be something totally new!

I checked them out though and there's no modern series strat yet, so no official chinese fender strats after all..

9. ostin

ostin Strat-Talker

10. stratomaster96

stratomaster96 Banned

The Ping tuners and tremolos used in many low and mid priced Fenders are made in Indonesia.

11. stevel

stevel Strat-Talker

12. Vintage59

Vintage59 Senior Stratmaster

In reference to the OP, it is most likely they are fake (especially if they say "made in usa") but we'd love to see photos...

13. Frogger

Frogger Strat-Talker

This thread reminds me of Fender's plant in India several years ago. the quality was horrible and every single " swamicaster" was sent back and a full refund was given to the buyer. All the necks where warped worse than Captain Kirk's warp drive engines...thank god that factory burned down. :)

14. MrPoppa2

MrPoppa2 Senior Stratmaster

The new Fender Marauder, is made in China, what a fab guitar! and they sell for 400.00 bucks, shows you what labor costs do for us! But I will say that I am in favor of Fender bringing all production back to the USA, to create more jobs, even though it would mean higher prices, or maybe not too much more!
    ........poppa

15. qblue

qblue Strat-O-Master

I agree; that Marauder is gonna be the leader of the pack of the guitars made in China for Fender. I just listened to a whole passle of vids of these guitars and the Marauder just outclassed the others. I thought the Tele Plus had pickups that were high output, but it was twangy and it sounded like a Tele. The Thinline was better sounding, and I really like those P90 sounds.

The Jaguar sounded like an entry level guitar. But the Marauder with the Fender® Triplebucker Pickup (Bridge) was just another level of sound that I would like in my guitar arsenal. I don't understand the switching yet, and there's no explanation of how it works either. I think it has a 5-way switch, and probably switches one of three coils off in the triplebucker.

I think the Teles sound like other Teles but for a lot less moolah. All the rest sound like Strats with tweaks. That Marauder is something to hear; the only thing is my wife thinks if we continue to buy Chinese products we are gonna bankrupt the USA. So the made in China thing would probably steer me away. I'm not a country snob as I have a MIM Baja, and a MIJ Yamaha SBG2100, as they are unbelivable guitars. But so are the rest which are all American made. I think Fender must be impressed with quality they're getting, and labeling them as Fenders. Squiers are not top-rate Fenders, and I would tend to believe, as with the MIM products, they (Fender) are satisfied. I wonder if they'll close the Ensenada facility...especially if these sell and don't have high return rates.

16. bugo

bugo Strat-O-Master

I go to pick up my Marauder as soon as the store opens at 10. I'll try to remember to post pics in this thread. It is a very versatile guitar with a wide array of sounds available. You can call the triplebucker a gimmick, and maybe it is, but it gives you a new sound that most guitars don't have. The Jazzmaster pickup is a lot different from the triplebucker. And it even has a Strat tremolo instead of a messy floating tremolo.

17. bugo

bugo Strat-O-Master

The switching for the Marauder is:
    1) Humbucker (2 coils closest to the bridge) of bridge pickup
    2) Triplebucker
    3) Single coil of triplebucker furthest away from bridge
    4) Single coil of triplebucker and Jazzmaster pickup
    5) Jazzmaster pickup

18. Vintage59

Vintage59 Senior Stratmaster

Last time I checked, Strat bridges are floating until you deck them?

Anyway, you should really start your own thread about your Fender Marauder instead of taking over this thread...just sayin

19. bugo

bugo Strat-O-Master

But the Strat bridges are less fussy than some Fender bridges.

The Marauder had already been mentioned 2 or 3 times in this thread. Don't blame me, blame the first person to post about the Marauder in this thread.

20. Shreddin

Shreddin New Member!

I bought one

I just bought a modern player fat tele from China the other day and it's smokin--these guitars are in a different league. I wasn't even looking to buy a guitar and was playing Gibsons in the shop, but then I tried this tele and immediately put it on layaway. I came back a tested guitars agaist it and it held up and I bought it. These guitars are not like the Mexican Fenders and I would say they blow away what I have seen from Squier too. I own a deluxe American fat Strat with locking tremolo and while this modern player fat tele isn't better than that guitar, it's in the same league, which blew me away. I've wanted a tele for awhile but not enough to spend Deluxe Strat money on because it would be a second guitar. I got my dream tele for $300.00 Check these guitars out, this kind of quality was previously only found in American made Fenders.

21. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Strat-Talker

I have a Modern Player Tele Plus and it's a very, very good guitar for the money.

The stock pups are crappy (very low output and thin) but they got changed with no problem. The body is pine with a nice honeyburst and the neck is simply a delight to hold.

It cam with a humbucker in the bridge that has a mini-toggle so you can split it, a strat pup in the middle and a tele pup in the neck.

I changed the stock pups out for Seymour Duncan's:
    SH-3 (Stag-Mag) in the bridge
    SSL-1 (Vintage Staggered Strat pup) in the middle
    STR-1 (Vintage Rhythm repro of 50's tele pup) in the neck)

For the $$$ I have invested in this guitar (less than $500 and very well modded) it's a killer axe and I gig it all the time while leaving my more expensive ones at home away from beer bottles and drunk fanboys.