Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Are these Fender Original 57/62 pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by danbudai, Dec 25, 2017.

1. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

The bevel does very on these. This is a set I had, and are similar to pic of the op's

57-62 (1).JPG

ocean and danbudai like this.

2. danbudai

danbudai Strat-Talk Member

Jul 3, 2011
    Timisoara, Romania
    Considering the fact that paperwork is missing I agreed with the guy, he will take them back if I don't like the pickups.

If I decide to buy these ones I will update this post with some pictures of higher quality and maybe a sound sample as well.

3. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    The only reply I can give to you on that is... and of course is purely a personal opinion... I played the 57/62's through my old (no mods) Blues Junior, and they sounded really sweet. Pure Strat, chimey, lovely tone. I would go so far as to say they were the best Strat pickups I've ever had in a guitar.

ocean and danbudai like this.

4. danbudai

Jul 3, 2011
    Timisoara, Romania
    Thank you for the feedback and hint. This is my feeling as well. This is why it is difficult to decide between these 57/62 or the pure vintage 65s.

ocean and Will Lefeurve like this.

5. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Senior Stratmaster

Mar 1, 2016
    England & France
    Well, we're all different in what does it for us re guitars. Now, I more or less just play my old AM Standard with the stock Alnico 5's, and I've grown very fond of the sound I get from them. Certainly won't change them.

Re the 57/62's and the 65's.. I think you'll probably know if you get the chance to compare both sets. I've had no experience with the 65's, so I don't know how they'll stack up against 57'62's, and of course I don't know what it is that you want to hear. Nuances are personal to us all..

danbudai likes this.

6. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Beer me up Scotty Strat-Talk Supporter

Feb 11, 2015
    Limbo
    The bevel on these varied from guitar to guitar, that's how I remember it. I had to dig a bit, but as I remembered and illustrated by these pictures that were up on Fenders page for American vintage 1957 Stratocaster before they stopped production, you can see that the magnets are really pointy on this very example too.

1152x864-1957-fender-stratocaster.jpg iphone-Electric-Guitar-Fender-57-.jpg fender-american-vintage-57-stratocaster-surf-green-maple-2.jpg

7. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Limbo
    Fender_Strat-57ReissueLollar-Burst_angle-detail.jpeg

On the other hand you had also examples like this one, where there was hardly any chamfer, not sharp either but very light chamfer.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    danbudai likes this.

8. ocean

ocean Most Honored Senior Member

Apr 14, 2015
    In a house
    My 57s are heavily beveled. Going to take pictures.

9. ocean

Apr 14, 2015
    In a house
    1514376757780.jpg 1514376775895.jpg 1514376789772.jpg 1514376805435.jpg 1514376819843.jpg 1514376830102.jpg

Crappy pictures. Don't mind dirty guitar..

Maybe someone can flip pictures for me.

danbudai likes this.

10. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Thank you, that's just what I was going to say. I love the naïveté that some people have about Fender - expecting consistency from guitar to guitar. That just doesn't happen. Stuff like varies, because Fender doesn't believe that it matters.

ocean and Guy Named Sue like this.

11. archetype

archetype Strat-O-Master

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    True, perhaps, when everything was hand made, but I think the OP was wondering about 57/62 model pickups, specifically. Those are current production and the magnets are beveled and cut off on a screw machine that's set to spit them out by the bazillion in identical fashion.

danbudai likes this.

12. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    So why does the chamfer vary? Because it does, as Guy Named Sue correctly stated.

13. archetype

archetype Strat-O-Master

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    For old pickups, the chamfer varies from pickup to pickup, batch to batch, because the mags were chamfered by hand. For current, production model pickups, the chamfer doesn't vary on any specific type of pickup because the mags are chamfered during an automated process. It can vary within a +/- tolerance, but the chamfer is part of the specifications of the pickup and is programmed into the machine.

Different *types* of pickups can still have different chamfers, and do. CS-made pickups, the hand-made ones, can vary, but even those are generally consistent.

Again, I'm mainly addressing the OPs question about whether the pickups were Fender 57/62. From the fuzzy picture supplied, they look like they have far more chamfer than any 57/62 I've had or seen. Current ones have have about 1/32" chamfer, early ones have no chamfer.

14. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada

15. ocean

Apr 14, 2015
    In a house
    Went through this a million times.. 2006 don't have 57/62s. On spec sheet they are referred to as 3 American vintage 57s . All three single coils the same

Guitarmageddon likes this.

16. ocean

Apr 14, 2015
    In a house
    I do and think they truly sound like a Stratocaster should. Love them

Guitarmageddon likes this.

17. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Sorry, I was super confused....I have 57/62's in one of my Strats and love'em

18. Guy Named Sue

Feb 11, 2015
    Limbo
    Well we don't know when exactly OPs pickups were bought/made, maybe during a time when Fender was still chamfering the magnets by hand. But one thing I don't agree with what you say is that the chamfering is exaggerated/extreme on OPs pickups. If you look at them again and compare to the online site pictures that Fender used on its site, which I uploaded in my previous post you can see that they fit perfectly with chamfering of the Surf Green Strat.

stratman323 likes this.

19. danbudai

Jul 3, 2011
    Timisoara, Romania
    He sold them. I missed out on them although he promised to keep them another week for me.
    Maybe I had too many questions.

Fuzzy pictures, sorry for that. Might have caused confusion.

20. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Actually you're not really answering anything. Why don't you tell us what you think they are rather than telling us what you believe they can't be?

Chamfers vary - Fender are often inconsistent. From where I'm sitting all the evidence points to them being 57/62s. Unless anyone has persuasive evidence otherwise?