Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'DIY Amp Forum' started by Strat Jacket, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Well, I guess I will concede to the fact that this just ain't my cup o' joe.
    I would willingly pay a couple hundred bucks for a neat little tube amp kit for the learning experience...but not that kind of money. To put it into perspective, maybe if it were a REAL NOS tweed kit from 1959, I could justify it to myself. Under the circumstances, I just can't.
    Perhaps if there were a few more lower-priced kits in the mix to get one into the whole hobby thing...maybe.
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

RJ Squirrel likes this.
  2. RJ Squirrel

RJ Squirrel Strat-Talker

Jan 28, 2018
    Frostbite Falls
  3. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy BushBaby Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 28, 2013
    Tucson

I need a kit, as I have no parts on hand. I'd like to pop for a Super Reverb RI and blackface it...new parts and reliability, old sound.

The Strat Dude likes this.
  4. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2017
    Denton, TX
    Well now I want one.

dante1963 and abnormaltoy like this.
  5. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Not saying Sweetwater's price is great by any means...my LGS usually beats anything they advertise by a large margin. I was only pointing out what your 750.00 can buy you...a box of parts or an assembled tube amp.

abnormaltoy and RJ Squirrel like this.
  6. RJ Squirrel

RJ Squirrel Strat-Talker

Jan 28, 2018
    Frostbite Falls
    I understood your point. Its a matter of optics. You don't see the value in the kit. I don't see the value in a Blues Deluxe.

7. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Understood.

abnormaltoy and RJ Squirrel like this.
  8. pwhite

pwhite Strat-Talker

May 24, 2015
    South Carolina
    I don't understand, I looked last Mojo's kit is 750 or so and tube depot has a 5e3 for around 650 with with a mod speaker and circuit board not turret or fiber. The kit is for people like me, that like to build amps or just want to do one and done. If you want a whole amp buy a whole amp. I am not really defending SM on anything, because their prices can be stupid but this kits not off by much.

9. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    I think I missed the whole point. I see a kit-anything as a way to save on assembly labor costs; apparently a lot of you simply enjoy assembly as a hobby.
    In that respect I suppose it's not a bad package deal.

RJ Squirrel and abnormaltoy like this.
  10. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Strat-O-Master

Aug 28, 2017
    Denton, TX
    Think of it as a quality partscaster. If you know exactly what you want and spend REAL hard money on the parts, it can add up really quick. Imagine if a vendor put together a premium partscaster kit, and then wanted you to pay $1000+ for it. You'd be screaming about how that's insane because you can buy a brand new MIM Players Strat for $650.

westonmitch likes this.
  11. RJ Squirrel

RJ Squirrel Strat-Talker

Jan 28, 2018
    Frostbite Falls
    The old Heath hifi kits were a means of getting into hifi on a budget. In a way the 5E3 kits are a means of saving some money, if you want a hand wired 5E3. A Fender Reissue 5E3 Deluxe at Sweetwater is on sale for $1799.99. At this price, the kit starts looking pretty attractive. But the prospect of saving money by building a kit rather than buying a completed amp should not be the motivating factor for an inexperienced builder. There are many opportunities for error that can arise and require troubleshooting to correct. This is where frustration mounts and results in abandoned projects.

12. archetype

archetype Strat-O-Master

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    Here is the apples to apples comparison.

$765 + shipping + my sweat equity in assembling.
    https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and...arts/Amplifier_Kits/59_Tweed_15W_Amp_Kit.html

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/de...ustom-deluxe-12-watt-1x12-inch-tube-combo-amp
    The kit is an opportunity to tweak and modify the original circuit, as well. Like building a partscaster to suit your preferences, the 5E3 circuit has been analyzed extensively and you can tailor it to suit your specific tonal goals. Much, much effort and research into this. Here is documentation from Rob Robinette.

How the 5E3 works:
    https://robrobinette.com/How_The_5E3_Deluxe_Works.htm

Various 5E3 mods:
    https://robrobinette.com/5e3_Modifications.htm

13. Strat Jacket

May 11, 2018
    Illinois
    Thanks for that info. Very interesting read. I see by your signature that you play through a Super Champ X2. Having just bought one, I wonder if you have any tech articles like the above relating to the SCx2?

14. dante1963

dante1963 Strat-Talker

Apr 28, 2016
    St. Louis
    One thing I’d like to add about this kit. I’ve been really tempted to try to build a 5e3 kit for about a year now. Not because I particularly like to tinker—I don’t—but because I’d really, really like a 5e3 tweed Deluxe. But, as pointed out earlier, the Fender reissue is $2000. Definitely out of my price range. So I started looking at kits. Tube Depot has one with decent documentation—but their model is a PCB board and some people here who seem to be very knowledgeable about the design question the quality of some of their parts. Mojotone has a highly-regarded kit that is hand wired but come with no documentation. If you can’t read a wiring schematic, best of luck with the assembly. Weber and others have similar kits—all in a similar price range—all lacking documentation. The new StewMac kit seems to have quality parts, gives you what appears to be a pretty authentic 5e3 from what I can tell, and—this is the big point—actually has instructions that you can follow even if you are not an electrical engineer. I read through the instructions this morning—they are free to download—and they actually make it feel like a project I could handle. They are step by step, and look really thorough. Including many places where you are instructed to stop and check your work. I’d actually given up on the idea of building a kit because I just thought it would be too challenging. But this might actually change my mind.

Strat Jacket likes this.
  15. sumran

sumran Fan of Leo

Mar 7, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    The partscaster is a good comparison. If you build with care, you get exactly what you want, excellent performance, the pride of having made it yourself and poor resale value.

The instructions are a big deal, especially for someone that hasn’t built before.

dante1963 likes this.
  16. pwhite

pwhite Strat-Talker

May 24, 2015
    South Carolina
    I agree with most of this except the Mojotone does have documentation,(it's at the bottom of the page) they just assume you have some experience with building. The SM document would be better for a first time builder. I don't know where they get their transformers but they are not Heyboer, they look more like re-branded Classic tone.

https://www.mojotone.com/kits/TweedAmpKits_x/Tweed-Deluxe-Amp-Kit

17. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
  18. archetype

archetype Strat-O-Master

Nov 26, 2016
    Williamsville NY
    tdpri.com is 5E3 central for lots a people. Many, many, many threads about building a 5E3 from a kit or from scratch. Typically, people post pictures of each step of assembly and experienced builders comment on the wiring, etc. and make suggestions. The same with troubleshooting a new one, with questions, pics, and answers from other builders. The 5E3 Owners Club, there, has been going strong since 2009.

BTW, experienced builders have already spotted some problems in the StewMac documentation. Tube Depot's documentation is very good, but is specific to their PCB construction.

dante1963 likes this.