Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Are you Open-minded?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Guy Named Sue, Jan 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 14, 2013
    Alabama
    Does she sell any albums? I seriously have never met a single person that likes here work.

2. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

Right in this thread I confessed to enjoying side 2 of Plastic Ono Band/Live in Toronto. That's as close as it gets to liking her work. :)

Ebidis likes this.

3. fezz parka

fezz parka The Wiggler of Sticks Strat-Talk Supporter

4. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Most Honored Senior Member

May 7, 2014
    UK
    Art style = Poncy pretentious crud!
    Music style = Really? When?!?!

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.

5. Fred Phuque

Fred Phuque Strat-Talker

Nov 24, 2016
    Nashville, TN
    Yoko......Oh-No!

Fendereedo likes this.

6. Ronnie12460

Ronnie12460 Strat-Talker

Mar 19, 2014
    Abilene, Texas
    Couldn't make myself click on the op's video. Afraid it would be like opening Pandora's Box!!!

7. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    These “avant-garde” artistes think themselves quite clever, and people who like to consider themselves smarter than you feel compelled to say they like them, but the fact is it’s all cowardly. Funny for the supposed front line. But as has been noted many times, art without risk is pointless. You can’t fail in the avant-garde. Have audience members cut your bra off. You can’t do that wrong. Bang a gong for 24 hours. You can’t do that wrong. Play a Bach fugue. You can do that wrong. That’s art. Because you can fail trying.

Ebidis likes this.

8. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    Ultimately though, art’s job is to connect with people. If it doesn’t connect with anyone, it’s failed.

Ebidis and Monkeyboy like this.

9. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

May 23, 2015
    Ghost Dog Heart
    Or, if it only connects with self-proclaimed "experts" in ivory towers, then it's stuck in a bubble; a loop
    of pointlessness except to those few who agree that it has meaning in the Art world. Meanwhile, back in
    the real world, people like us just go "WTF ? :rolleyes: ". At least with over-hyped , unoriginal
    pop-schlock music, it can actually go out to a lot of people who enjoy it. Maybe that's not such a good thing ,
    though, because then more people develop bad taste (check your local cineplex for weekly loads of hooey).
    We're spared most of the atrocities of modern "fine" art , and are left to fend for ourselves more so than
    with music. Good thing?... bad thing ? ...

Ebidis likes this.

10. Vjerilood

Vjerilood Strat-O-Master

Jul 30, 2017
    USA
    That too. Art is something that is communicated. This is why a bad actor will get all worked up in a scene and the director will say do it again, and the actor says but I felt it! And the director says but I didn’t feel it. This is the very difference between a good guitar solo and wanking. A wanker feels it, he plays with emotion. Yeah, HE feels it. But he fails to make you feel it. There were perhaps literally a million guitarists who could technically play circles around B.B. King. But nobody could make you feel it like him. He communicated.

Avant-garde artists are saying something. Cutting off your clothing strips away external layers of identity blah blah because see, even when you get it, it’s boring. Honesty, I swear to the gods, even as the pretentious narrator explained why Yoko was letting men cut her clothes off, my take on it was I hope I get to see her b***s. I’m not too dumb to “get it.” I can talk about identity, process, deconstructionism, Derrida, Doritos, existentialism, iconoclasm. Bore. Ing. I want a visceral thrill when I view art. Intelligent sexuality. Skilled guitar playing. Writing with a point. Sweaty greasy dive bar blues. The earth. Brian Eno said it best on the avant-garde, they’re dead from the neck down. Yoko may be making a statement in her art, but I don’t want a bloody statement. I’m not a philosopher. I want it to move me, I want to feel something when I see it, not just think something.

11. heltershelton

heltershelton ROCKIN FOREVER Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    I saw a video once where a bunch of people in a room were watching some lady trying to open a can with......get this......a CAN OPENER. seems she was having alot of trouble with it. when she finally got the can open, they applauded.
    I guess it fits the times.

Bodean likes this.

12. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    My advice is to never trust the opinion of someone who is paid to give it. Professional critics are always full of hooey.

Monkeyboy and Ebidis like this.

13. nhsdpl

nhsdpl Senior Stratmaster

Apr 21, 2012
    West Australia
    [​IMG]

Yoko rocks :thumb:

fezz parka likes this.

14. Groovey

Groovey Senior Stratmaster

Nov 17, 2016
    NC. USA
    Open minded?

O No!

circles likes this.

15. Uncle Fiesta

Uncle Fiesta Senior Stratmaster

I'd rather eat my own gentleman vegetables than waste a single second of my life even thinking about Yoko Ono.

Mad as a box of frogs is the kindest thing one can say about her.

Oh and I didn't watch the video, but I'm sure you guessed that.

16. amagras

amagras Strat-Talker

Oct 26, 2016
    Ontario
    Too late

17. stormin1155

stormin1155 Strat-Talk Member

Mar 18, 2014
    Iowa
    I opened the thread out of curiosity. But I really don't care enough about Yoko to spend six minutes watching the video. So if that makes me closed minded.... well, I guess I just don't care....

18. mjark

mjark Senior Stratmaster

Jul 15, 2015
    Maryland
    I am aware of some of her background. There's nothing in that video, which I watched, that gives me much appreciation for her as an artist. I found some of that kind of stuff interesting as a young man but I don't have any interest in it now. Conceptual art is important perhaps and I like that she made herself the piece in many cases rather than directing assistants to assemble things but...I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now!

19. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    Sometimes you have to give yourself a chance to "get it"...put aside expectations and all that. I've experienced that with some jazz (*****es Brew comes to mind), some ambient electronic music, and classical music. There's even some musicality in Revolution #9 on the Beatles White Album that I've come to appreciate.

There are still some things I just will never "get", and Yoko's music is amongst that. Another example I can think of is Pat Metheney's "Zero Tolerance for Silence". I am a huge fan of Pat's music...solo and with the PMG, but this is just bad. I read a story that he put this album out as a slap in the face to the record label that wouldn't let him out of a contract...not sure if that's true or not.

20. RB522

RB522 Strat-Talk Member

Nov 23, 2017
    Wisconsin
    The wonderful thing about art, is that it's not required to appeal to everyone. I have examined, and tried to understand the art of Yoko Ono, and I can't. There is just nothing there for me, plain and simple. That's ok, though. She had obviously reached some people. I just don't ever see myself as being one of them.

circles likes this.