Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Auditioning bass player tonight.

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by amstratnut, Oct 10, 2018.

1. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    I just wish we could find a guy and start gigging. We had a guy on a fill in basis but he is done filling in for us.

I dont have high hopes for tonight but, lets hope Im wrong.

2. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 17, 2017
    Lost

3. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    Good bass players are hard to find...and keep. Hope you get lucky tonight...finding a bass player that is :).

Our bass player was in 2 other bands aside from my band. One of them broke up 6 months ago and she just quit the other one...not happy with material and too much focus on PA and lighting rather than getting all their ducks in a row. Fortunately she seems happy with us :).

Mansonienne and circles like this.

4. heltershelton

heltershelton ASKED TO LEAVE THE STAGE Strat-Talk Supporter

Jun 5, 2013
    Not Florida
    you should mess with him. youre such an awesome geetsr player you should have alot of say.

amstratnut and circles like this.

5. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Good luck! Always a big challenge to choose a new player.

I've been jamming with some folks recently. I contacted them as the Craigslist ad stated they were 'not forming a band'. Just what I was looking for at this time, some casual jamming (with live people, not Nowyoushred.com, fun as that is).

6. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    Let us know how it goes, in great detail if possible.

Yves likes this.

7. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Senior Stratmaster

May 11, 2018
    Illinois

8. amstratnut

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    He was very good. Possibly too good. He has been playing so long he didnt seem to enjoy it anymore. We are auditioning two more guys next week.

The drummer liked him.

9. circles

circles Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You gotta find that sweet spot. Good luck!

10. himijendrix

himijendrix Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2012
    Barrow Upon Soar, UK
    Well that’s the main part sorted, if your drummer and the bassist rock together then you have a solid rhythm section. Essential!

11. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 2, 2015
    Paris suburbs, France

12. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Mar 7, 2013
    Harlow, Essex, UK
    Feel for you, have had real trouble finding a bass player. The past three were, 1) A weirdo, 2) couldn’t play 3) couldn’t play but a know all. Current chap seems great, hope I haven’t jinxed it by saying that!

13. BallisticSquid

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    That sort of thing may be from the stress of the audition, stress of playing with unfamiliar people, stress of playing new songs/different arrangements, etc.

If you really like him otherwise (and the drummer likes him!!) it might be worth digging into that to see if your take on it is correct.

For myself, people tell me to smile more and look like I'm having fun. It's not that I'm not having fun...I'm just focused sometimes.

That's great that you have a couple more folks coming in. It's great to have choices :).

amstratnut likes this.

14. amstratnut

Dec 1, 2009
    My house.
    It was more what he said. I didnt see any joy. Im gonna with hold judgement til I see guys next week.

BallisticSquid likes this.

15. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Squier-A-Holic Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    I would say who cares what a person says, if they're a great player they should be a great fit! @amstratnut - why would you want someone less talented over someone more talented?

BallisticSquid and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

16. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

May 21, 2010
    Sheffield, UK
    Some of us may appear to be miserable when in the company of strangers, especially when we are effectively there to be judged by them.

17. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    A band is still a "team sport". How you gel with someone has alot to do with the end results

BallisticSquid likes this.

18. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    Think of the great bands of the past, ones in the Rock Hall of Fame - how many arguments were there? How many times did Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce want to kill each other? If they had settled for someone easier to get along with but less talented, we wouldn't have the history we do now.

I share the same philosophy when building a 'bar band'. Unless of course it's something serious like an addiction problem they won't seek help for....

19. BallisticSquid

Oct 12, 2016
    US
    In a band situation I think how you get along has a big bearing on things. Personally, I'd rather play with people that I get along with with sufficient talent than super talented people that get under my skin.

I got my current and previous gig from my adaptability and easy-to-work-with attitude. They could have easily found a player with more talent :).

20. Guitarmageddon

Apr 19, 2014
    Windsor, Ontario, Canada
    I guess I'm different, I've never in my life met a single person that gets under my skin....