Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Authenticating black bottom pickups

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by sounder studios, Dec 11, 2017.

1. sounder studios

sounder studios Strat-Talk Member

May 7, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Is there a forum on authenticating black bottom pickups? I know they are not normally dated. Trying to determine if there are any convincing ways to tell them apart besides the bobbin color and cloth wire.

Thanks!

2. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster

Aug 30, 2015
    Massachusetts USA
    I don't know of one, but I'm following. I have a set of black-bottom Jazzmaster pickups I got years ago. They were represented as original '62s and at the time I had no reason to doubt that... but it would be nice to be able to prove it.

sounder studios likes this.
  3. Mipstoo

Mipstoo Senior Stratmaster

Mar 18, 2013
    Rockingham Palace
    Post pictures and let's compare! ;)

(seriously, do post pictures)

To be honest, I think a good builder could tell...

4. sounder studios

May 7, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I wish this site made it easier to upload photos! I guess I'll make a Google drive folder link.

5. sounder studios

May 7, 2013
    Massachusetts
    If interested in selling please let me know. I have a 62 Jazzmaster with 77 pickups.

6. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 18, 2014
    Lewisville, TX
    At the bottom of each post is an 'upload a file' tab. Always works for me.

Bopocaster and sounder studios like this.
  7. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

Nov 19, 2014
    Up a lazy river
    At the point you want to add a photo click on "upload a file":

PART1.jpg

Choose the photo file, and once uploaded it will give you options for thumbnail or Full image. Click full image and you're there!

PART2.jpg

8. sounder studios

May 7, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Obviously lead wire has been changed. Wax potted. I believe the reading was in the 5.8K range.

Attached Files:

9. inra311

inra311 Strat-Talker

Oct 12, 2008
    Europe
    Pictures can be midleading but at first glance it looks good to me. Maybe the pole pieces were cleaned on the top side, they are often darker.

They did not have a date stamp before the yellow ink stamp in '64. The pickups from the 50ies had a different magnetical polarity.

10. Davewpa

Davewpa New Member!

Dec 31, 2017
    Portugal
    Hi guys have to disagree on the dates its known that blackbottoms beginning 64 got a yellow stamp for nearly the 1st half of 64 b4 turning into stamped grey bottoms...and then penciled....heres a photo of my 59 blackbottoms if u look closely on the left corner there are digits in red....some pickups had a date coded in digits not all but some did....and thats the proof these are originals and no fake ;) Screenshot_2017-12-31-18-47-34.png Screenshot_2017-12-31-18-47-31.png

11. Davewpa

Davewpa New Member!

Dec 31, 2017
    Portugal
    Hi guys have to disagree on the date subject my 59 blackbottom haveca reddish date in which u can see on the 2x pics left under its faded but still to be seen so indeed some black bottoms 50 and 60s period were also dated not only 64 ones ;)

12. Davewpa

Davewpa New Member!

Dec 31, 2017
    Portugal
  13. Davewpa

Davewpa New Member!

Dec 31, 2017
    Portugal
  14. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    It could hardly be easier. I simply drag & drop from the folder on my PC to the box on ST & pics appear as if by magic. This feature has freed me from the tyranny of the money-grabbing folks at Photobucket, so thank you ST for that.