Join Strat-Talk Today

Bad Day ~ Good Day ~ your support, if you feel inclined

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Alan Crossley, Jun 14, 2019 at 11:27 AM.

1. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

Very Bad day for my middle Daughter Layla, who took her driving test again today, and didn't pass:eek:. Naturally she's devastated, again. She failed because a car approaching the roundabout that she was about to enter, indicated to turn left but didn't.

When she completed the test, the examiner told her that she would have passed other than not waiting to see if the car was turning, as indicated. She's a part qualified teacher and needs to be driving next month so that she can get to her place of work!

You migh like to send her some mental positive vibes for her next test. Thanks in anticipation of your kind support in this regard.

The GOOD NEWS, I hope, is that my luthier called me a few moments ago to tell me that he should have my replica Stratocaster Clash 1 guitar finished this evening. It was left in to the workshop just before Christmas and I delighted to think that I can collect it early next week!

It's been a long time but if I'm pleased with it when I collect it, it will have been well worth the wait :D

You might also send out some positive Strat-talk vibes in support of my precious hopes. :rolleyes:

felis, ChrisD, 3bolt79 and 12 others like this.
  2. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

Good Luck, and bon courage! :thumb:

3. 808K

808K Strat-O-Master

Eh, the instructor had a crush on Layla and just wanted her to come back!

4. Alan Crossley

Alan Crossley Senior Stratmaster

He better not! He's seen her three times now and charges her €80:00 for the privalage!

5. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sounds like your daughter is an adult and will handle it and do just fine next time. My younger daughter was 16 and failed her driving test four times before she passed. I took her for three of the four and she was NOT pleasant company in the immediate aftermath of those failed tests! 16 year old girls are rather up and down in their moods to begin with and she was pretty sure someone was trying to destroy her life and, somehow, if I was with her at that moment, I might be the likeliest suspect!

So best of luck to your daughter - she'll do fine - and congrats on the strat!

-Ray

6. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

7. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

8. circles

circles Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

New guitar coming!

giphy.gif

9. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth breathin' knuckle dragger Strat-Talk Supporter

It might seem like the end of the world now, but...if that's all she got nicked on, she is golden next go 'round! :)

Chin up buckaroo

10. RJ Squirrel

RJ Squirrel Senior Stratmaster

I hate roundabouts! It's like being an unwilling participant in figure 8 racing.

11. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth breathin' knuckle dragger Strat-Talk Supporter

Me too.

I learned to drive in DC. Not only do you have traffic circles with normal crappy drivers...you have traffic circles with freakin crappy drivers with diplomatic immunity.

12. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sorry your daughter didn’t pass...:( sending positive thoughts.
    Good news on your guitar, though. Hope you’re happy with it.

3bolt79, abnormaltoy and simoncroft like this.
  13. jim293

jim293 Strat-Talker

Hope you post up a few pics of the new arrival.

simoncroft and abnormaltoy like this.
  14. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    I lived in DC for 4 years, I get it.

simoncroft and abnormaltoy like this.
  15. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sounds as if Layla should take her test again ASAP, as it was bad luck she didn't pass this time. Even after I eventually passed my test, I was afraid of roundabouts, until a driving instructor explained it in a way I could understand. He showed my a diagram of a typical roundabout, then drew a ring round the section between the last turning off and the road where I would be joining. "That is the No Fly Zone," he said. "If there is a vehicle in there, you don't move." Why no one had made it so clear before, I just don't know.

I'm sure the only reason I passed my test was I was so busy at work, I missed half the 'final lesson' and didn't have time to worry about the test itself. My mindset was: "I need to get this done and back to my desk", rather than "this is it, this is it, this is it..." Layla will pass next time, I'm sure.

I've just checked your thread for the guitar build. Whoo Hoo! Looks great! :thumb::thumb::thumb:

16. simoncroft

abnormaltoy likes this.
  17. RJ Squirrel

RJ Squirrel Senior Stratmaster

The problem, that I have with roundabouts, involves drivers entering the intersection that do not recognize right of way rules. I go through a heavily used roundabout on a daily basis. Drivers entering the intersection, more often than not, fail to yield and instead gun it to force their way in, much like stock figure 8 racing.

18. Otisblove

Otisblove Senior Stratmaster

I failed the written test, then failed the first driving test. 13 incomplete stops. That was 28 years and several driving jobs ago.

abnormaltoy and simoncroft like this.
  19. tstone2

tstone2 Strat-Talker

Good vibes your way >>> !!! >>> To The Green Isle

abnormaltoy and simoncroft like this.
  20. simoncroft

Fair point. Innacurate indicating, or not indicating at all, is just as dangerous though. I was watching an oncoming car at a T junction. It indicated it was taking the turning before mine. Instead of turning it shot past us, the number of a cab firm written across the door. My wife screamed. I just said: "You'll notice my foot is still on the brake."

My guess is the driver's fare said: "Oh sorry, it's the next turning," at the last minute, so he kept going, but didn't kill the indicator until he was almost on top of us. Literally. :mad:

abnormaltoy and RJ Squirrel like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.