Join Strat-Talk Today

Bands that are Huge in the UK, but unheard of in the USA?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by vid1900, Mar 13, 2019.

1. vid1900

vid1900 Senior Stratmaster

After living in Greater London for a few years, I noticed one hears a much bigger variety of music than in the States.

The other day, a bandmate played me a song he wrote, and I said "Oh, that's the exact same progression as "Your Love Alone"".

He had no idea, I hummed a few bars "You know, the one by "The Manic Street Preachers"???? "

He was absolutely clueless about a band that is huge in the UK.

I asked every American I've run into, and none of them have ever heard a note.... any others that Americans are missing out on?

Manic Street Preachers & Nina Persson - Your Love Alone Is Not Enough

2. vid1900

Another great band that no one in the States ever heard of is Scouting For Girls

Scouting For Girls - She's So Lovely

3. JB74

JB74 Strat-O-Master

They're too busy trying to look at Ariana Grande's ass to be bothered with foreign music...

4. vid1900

An American band, Quiet Riot, made an entire career of covering songs from the mega popular English band, Slade.

Slade invented the idea of misspelling every word in a song title.

They had 17 consecutive Top 20 hits in the UK.

Most Americans have never heard of Slade, but they certainly know these songs:

Slade - Cum On Feel The Noize 1973

-
    Slade - Mama Weer All Crazee Now

5. vid1900

I mean, that seems like a worthy pursuit too....

Ariana Grande - Break Free

Big tuna, Hairy Bear and ChrisD like this.
  6. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

This is an interesting topic to me, partly because in the 1970/80s, British bands would come back from US tours and specifically comment on the greater variety of music radio in the US. I guess a lot of that has been killed by the increasing use of playlists that only present the station controller's chosen tracks on the DJ's screen, because all the music files are on a server.

Despite that, I still listen to US radio stations for jazz and blues, because we don't have big enough audiences over here for those genres. Equally, fusion between country, blues and rock is ultra-niche over here. EDIT: Thanks to the internet!

But the long history of artists scoring big with songs that are unknown the other side of the Atlantic works in both directions. The British Invasion of the 1960s was started by us selling you songs written by black American blues musicians, now performed by young white guys as pop songs.

Most of you over there have never heard of Amen Corner, but you might recognize this record.

That's because Amen Corner's management heard this record in the US and told them they should cover it:

7. vid1900

I've got a big outdoor antenna, and only the college stations play any variety.

There are no full time classical stations or real jazz stations within my reach.

There is one station that is classical during the day, and "smooth jazz" at night (so you can sleep).

8. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

Maybe it's just me, but I feel that the US fascination with Big Hair rock in the 80s passed me by completely in the UK. Yes, we had Van Halen and KISS and a few others, but there seem to be reams of bands in those days that I had never heard of until the internet. Poison, Ratt, Cinderella certainly never crossed my radar, for instance.

Now I'm not saying I missed out, but still...

9. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

At the same time, Hendrix had to cross the big pond to get an audience. Anna Popovich had to come to the U.S. (but still tours a lot internationally)
    That big pond separates us in more than just geography I suppose.
    Americans tend to be isolated from so many good things(and artists) that Europe enjoys.
    I wonder how that works in reverse. Are great bands like Kings Of Leon, Marcus King Band, or Gary Clark Jr. big in Europe?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    gwjensen likes this.
  10. Loleary

Loleary Strat-Talker

Kings of Leon are definitely big in the UK and Ireland. According to wiki their song 'sex on fire' is the 10th most downloaded song in the UK. It was also number 1 here in Ireland for weeks. Same with the Black keys song 'gold on the ceiling'.

Are mumford and sounds big in the US? They're not great but they're huge here.

dueducs likes this.
  11. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

Good to hear.
    Yes, Mumford and Sons are well appreciated in the US- always playing to sold out venues.

12. spikypaddy

spikypaddy Senior Stratmaster

A friend of mine who moved to the US about 15 years back informed me that Paul Weller - who is a bona fide musical institution and all round legend here in the UK - is pretty much unheard of over the pond.

13. pgjstrat

pgjstrat Strat-Talker

Mind....Blown! I lived in London from 83-86. This was Quiet Riot’s heyday. Never heard of Slade. Had no idea those two QR songs were covers.

vid1900 likes this.
  14. pgjstrat

pgjstrat Strat-Talker

Anyone remember a band called Tank? I remember seeing them on TV in London in the 80s. It was a metal band but had some dude on guitar who played stuff I’d never heard before. True virtuoso.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  15. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Senior Stratmaster

Some of the ....older ...members may remeber her as Leather Tuscadero from HAPPY Days , but Suzi Quatro was a rocker and is still putting out awesome records today. Albeit she was an American musician her band was British and that was her ground zero as well as Europe. Her fan clubs were in the UK and is now in Australia.

16. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

Always listening to US radio for country, even varies from state to state.

simoncroft likes this.
  17. Loleary

Loleary Strat-Talker

American country is very popular here in the west of Ireland. In the place I work there's even a poster of Garth Brooks in the canteen lol. Pretty much all the music on the radio at work is Irish country musicians, singing songs in a fake American accent with the occasional Kenny Rodgers song thrown in. Hardly a day goes by without hearing a version of wagon wheel!

Anyway, blur are good and aren't well known in the US.

simoncroft likes this.
  18. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Muse

They have some popularity here, but I suspect they are a much bigger thing in the UK. Too bad they seem to be jumping the shark at this point...for me anyway :(.

19. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Strat-O-Master

I had a friend from Manchester back in the late 90’s who introduced me to the sounds of the Manic Street Preachers. I must say, I’ve been a fan ever since. If I listen to radio, it’s internet radio (Radio Paradise) and every now and then I’ll hear Manic Street Preachers. They’re great. I can’t say I know of anything else that is new and current from the UK. Back in the late 70’s and early 80’s, our airwaves were dominated by UK bands. Gary Newman, Boomtown Rats, Clash, XTC, etc... Great stuff.

vid1900 likes this.
  20. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster

Suede was/is big in Europe, but hardly made a dent here...

Neil.C, simoncroft and vid1900 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.