Join Strat-Talk Today

Bands that are Huge in the UK, but unheard of in the USA?

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by vid1900, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Mr C

Mr C Senior Stratmaster

There are a ton of what I’d call culturally significant bands for my generation (I’m 45 so solidly Gen X) that would be just about unheard of in the US outside of a pretty narrow demographic. Across a range of genres too.

Stone Roses
    The Manics
    The Verve
    Ride
    Paul Weller
    The The
    Spiritualised
    The Charlatans
    Leftfield
    Portishead
    Massive Attack
    Joy Division

I think ironically that the musical movements were the same. Gen X kids fed up of that overproduced 80’s sound and culture looking back to a time before where things were perceived as more authentic, and the music of the parents that they grew up with. This gave America bands like pearl jam, sonic youth, the pixies and the whole grunge thing with a lot of southern rock, Neil young, 13th floor elevators etc as the inspiration. In Britain it was more the British 60’s mod stuff like the small faces, the kinks and the Beatles that formed the bedrock of the sound. You can see it the fashion of the 90’s on both sides of the pond too. I think the main difference is the relative importance of the country music tradition on general musical tastes.

Dan_Q, gwjensen and simoncroft like this.
  2. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog ALSO BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

A band that had rather limited success in the States.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  3. MooC50

MooC50 Strat-Talk Member

OP was asking about USA? - I never heard of them till i moved here. Their Singer/guitarist Rick Parfitt? who just died used to drink at pub next door all the time, didn't realise what a bit of a big deal he was till i learned how big "The Quo" were in UK - He would always be wearing blue denim head to toe- nice guy. My kid came home singing "rocking all over the world" song from a school class assembly - and i had no clue ;)

4. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Stratocrastinator Extraordinaire Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I’m constantly surprised that some of my bandmates won’t know a song or group that I assumed was well known —just shows difference in radio stations, age group, continent... I crossed first the US, then moved to Europe, and have friends from different countries, and, of course, there are still bands that are big somewhere that I don’t know. I think that makes things interesting!

gwjensen and Dan_Q like this.
  5. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Thank you for that. I knew he'd had several attempts to break into the US market, but I didn't realize he'd actually made it.

Mansonienne and vid1900 like this.
  6. gwjensen

gwjensen Senior Stratmaster

I know who he is! My Mom bought me one of his records when I was 15... :)

vid1900 likes this.
  7. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Strat-O-Master

I’m in Canada and those bands you posted were very well known here back in the 90’s. Joy Division is more late 70’s and just the start of the 80’s and turned into New Order which were pretty huge for dance music. I don’t know Ride, Paul Weller or Spritualized. All the others are very well known in my circles.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.