Join Strat-Talk Today

Baritone tuning on a 25.5 inch scale?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by MartinoTJ, Apr 15, 2019.

1. MartinoTJ

MartinoTJ Strat-Talk Member

Recently I am pondering of getting a Baritone guitar for ambient music. However I am not 100% sure that it will be a good fit for me. I was thinking to get some practice adapting a Strat that I have laying around the house. I am looking to use a standard B to B tuning maybe with 0.65 - 0.15 strings. I don't want to replace the neck (yet) just file the nut and set up the intonation/neck relif. Is anybody using a similar set-up? Any word of advice?

2. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

As a guitarist, you'd probably be most comfirtable tuned a 4th lower, so the 6th string would be tuned down to B.
    Given that 7-string guitars will also tune B-E-A-D-G-B-E, there's no reason it would not work with a heavier gauge... 13-62 would do the job, or step up to 14-68 if you'd like to play around with other tunings that go lower than B.

3. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

It works great on 25,5", I have done this for years on Duesenberg, Tokai Strat and Ibanez Saber models. Remember a lot of seven string guitars have 25,5" necks! Intonation can be painful on some guitars since the action needs be raised. I have even seen bands doing Drop A on Gibsons.

4. strick909

strick909 Strat-Talk Member

Search Youtube for an Anderton's video posted a little while back on this exact question. They tried it on a Tele and had quite a few problems getting it to work properly.
    Have you tried using a Pitchfork or Drop pedal? I've seen some ambient players getting good tones with them provided you either play with head phones or your amp is loud enough to cover the sound of standard tuning coming acousticly from the strings.

5. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Strat-O-Master

I just set up my tele Partscaster to open Low E with ernie ball "not even slinkys" (although I will put beefy slinkys on next). I love the lower register. Don't know if that qualifies for baritone but i like it.

6. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

Well that just shows Andertons don't know what their doing in that regard. Sepultura used to tune down to G, on a stratocaster (which is lower than standard baritone tuning).

johnnymg and CB91710 like this.
  7. strick909

strick909 Strat-Talk Member

That's not exactly an apples to apples scenario. You are talking about a professional musician with endorsement deals and guitar techs on staff versus a stock guitar off the rack. Go watch the video. They succeeded in pulling it off but it's not as simple as swapping strings and tuning down.

8. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I watched that video and it was clear they didn't know what they were doing and also didn't care to even try to do it right.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.