Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Bass Advise

Discussion in 'Ace's BASS Place' started by dueducs, Feb 4, 2018.

1. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

Honestly, I am thinking similarly after starting this thread. I have no aspirations of being an actual bass player, I just want to lay down some simple background tracks.
    I'll probably leave the real bass playing to real bass players :)

rolandson likes this.

2. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

I've seen these in gray, red, and black. They caught my eye.

3. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

May 9, 2015
    UK/Ireland
    I have 2 P.Bass, one Squier and one Fender.

The Fender is only a marginally better instrument than the Squier in my opinion. In some ways the Squier is better - as it is actually better balanced weight-wise. Had I known that the Fender was not going to turn out to be very different then I might have just stuck with the Squier .

nuculer terrist likes this.

4. s5tuart

s5tuart My Dad used to say.... Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 8, 2011
    Bedford, UK

5. WireLine

WireLine Strat-Talk Member

Apr 20, 2014
    Midland TX
    Grab a Peavey Foundation...superlative value. Poplar bodies, thin necks, essentially a Jazz bass that won't kill the typical guitarist.

And yes, I have one for sale..This one in fact.

Attached Files:

Mansonienne and knh555 like this.

6. knh555

knh555 Senior Stratmaster

Dec 6, 2016
    Massachusetts

^^^^^^^^^^^
    something like this should meet your needs I'd think. And it happens to be a pretty nice bass without breaking the bank.

7. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm a little late to the party, but I'm partial to the Squier Vintage Modified 70's or 77 JAZZ basses. I'm not sure if Squier has a PJ bass that is the equivalent quality to their jazz basses for the same price. You can pick up a used VM jazz bass for around $200.

8. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Strat-O-Master

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    Similar situation here, and not sure how much use it will get, so I ordered a Monoprice P-bass for $109 delivered. It's supposed to arrive tomorrow, if anyone is interested I can give a quality report shortly after.

9. Vindibona1

Would love to hear of your experience.

10. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Strat-O-Master

Feb 27, 2018
    North Central NC
    Monoprice P-Bass
    24 hours after receiving it:

1. It's nice looking, and I like the satin finish on the neck.

2. The nut was cut too deep for the G string, so that string buzzed on the first fret. I used some gel super glue in the slot, added some baking soda, and had hard acrylic in about half a second. Then with a minute's work with a jeweler's file the slot was correct.

3. There was too much relief in the neck, so I tightened the truss rod about 1/4 turn and it's good now.

4. Contrary to one review I read, the pickup is really a humbucker like it should be. I checked with a compass, and one unit is N, the other is S, and it seems pretty immune to hum causing things like leaning it against a tube amp.

5. The controls work smoothly and properly.

6. The intonation was set pretty close. One saddle needed a small adjustment, and that was so small I doubt if it would have been noticeable.

7. The action is set a little on the high side, which I like. The saddles have lots of room to go down for lower action. Again, this is contradictory to a review I saw, which said you'd have to modify the saddles if you wanted low action. Maybe the neck angle is not the same on all of these.

8. The frets are not perfect. There are a couple that are slightly high. I'm not going to worry about it anytime soon, because it's not enough to cause buzz or any other obvious problem, but someday when I have the strings off I'll probably dress the high ones a little. The fret ends are nicely beveled and I don't feel them when playing.

Overall I'm very happy with the bass. The catch is that I probably wouldn't recommend one for someone who isn't comfortable addressing small problems with sloppy setup, unless he has a friend who can go over it for him. I expected to have to tweak it a little, so it didn't bother me. For $109 delivered, I got exactly what I wanted... a bass for a non-bass-player to have fun with. Actually though, it's fun enough that I might spend more time with it than I expected. I already played it though my $36 Ammoon looper, then added a couple tracks of guitar, then played the whole thing while playing drums to it. It was a blast.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018

11. Henfield Strat

Henfield Strat Strat-Talker

Mar 27, 2013
    West Sussex UK
    The Squire vm’s are great but I’d probably save up a bit and get a used MIM. Having only ever had Tokai and US Fenders, I was surprised at how good the MIM is.. IMG_1440.JPG

12. Vindibona1

The Jazz Bass you're showing in the photo isn't your typical J Bass that is usually offered. The ones you see advertised have a truss rod nut open at the top of the neck while yours doesn't. Also, most have two volumes and one tone while yours only has two knobs, I assume one master volume and one tone? What year was yours made and which variation of the MIM is it?

While used MIM J Basses can be had starting at $350, they come with very average, but decent pickups, but no better than the Duncan Designed ones that come in a VM Squier. Based on circumstances and timeline I chose a different path...

I was lucky enough to find an older Squier VM 70's for $160. This one had a thin satin finish on the neck, not the super thick, soft and sticky poly gloss like the new ones (and the Classic Vibes). It was fine until I started getting calls to play bass more often. The first thing I did was upgrade the bridge (Gotoh 401-B for $40). Probably not the most effective upgrade, but it helped the sustain a bit. I had an opportunity to upgrade to Aguilar noiseless pickups and they made a HUGE difference ($168). After that I knew there were high spots on some of the frets. And even though I could get the bass in spec, I spent $135 for a fret level and setup. Lastly, I put in a drop D tuner because it would come in handy in a show I'm doing starting this week. I probably could have done without it, but as they say, "in for a penny, in for a pound". $58. So, I've got a total of $561 in this bass... but in all honesty I'd have to spend more than $1500 to get a 4 string JBass as nice as I have in my Squier. Sounds awesome and plays like a dream. If I had it to do again, I'd probably spend the $350 for the MIM, but would still have another $168 for pickups and definitely spend the $135 for the level and setup. Bridge? Maybe. It looks cool and does add some sustain. The MIM and upgrades would cost approx $700-750- if you got the used MIM for $350. But in the end either way would be a heck of a lot nicer than a stock MIM or Squier... and (because of the pickups) most likely surpass the MIA Standard bass. BTW... I don't like the Modern C necks at all!

SquierVM_upgrades.jpg

13. Henfield Strat

Henfield Strat Strat-Talker

Mar 27, 2013
    West Sussex UK
    You’re right, it’s a Flea signature with nitro finish and stacked control knobs and vintage spec pickups.
    MIM j basses seem to be a great platform for upgrading as you have discovered! My Bass is still a current model.
    Specs below:-
    Series: Artist
    Body: Alder
    Body Finish: Road Worn Nitrocellulose Lacquer
    Neck: Maple,
    Neck Finish: Road Worn Nitrocellulose Lacquer
    Fingerboard: Rosewood, 7.25” (184.1 mm)
    Frets: 20, Vintage-Style
    Position Inlays: Aged White Dot
    Nut (Material/Width): Synthetic Bone, 1.5” (38.1 mm)
    Tuning Machines: Fender Vintage-Style
    Scale Length: 34” (864 mm)
    Bridge: 4-Saddle Vintage-Style
    Pickguard: 3-Ply Tortoiseshell
    Pickups: Vintage-Style Single-Coil Jazz Bass (Bridge/Middle)
    Controls: Stacked Concentric Controls
    -Volume 1. (Neck Pickup)
    -Tone 1. (Neck Pickup)
    -Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup)
    -Tone 2. (Bridge Pickup)
    Control Knobs: Knurled Chrome/Black Concentric
    Hardware Finish: Nickel/Chrome
    Strings: Fender USA, NPS, (Gauges .045 - .105)
    Case/Gig Bag: Deluxe Gig Bag

14. CaseCandy

CaseCandy Senior Stratmaster

May 9, 2015
    UK/Ireland
    I bought a very cheap Squier P.Bass (~$100) used, and after I found I got along with bass I decided to upgrade to MiM Standard P.Bass.

I'm now coming to terms with the realisation that my particular Squier is a better bass than my particular MiM.

15. jeff h

jeff h Senior Stratmaster

Jan 13, 2017
    Ohio
    If you are just laying down tracks, just do it on a guitar and have the DAW lower it down one octave. :D I've done it a few times and it works great and saves be from buying a bass and bass amp. Iven created vocal harmonies by lowering the same vocal track a 5th.

dueducs likes this.

16. Vindibona1

If I could get one of those for $350 I think I'd bite the bullet and bring the pickups over and get the setup/level done right.

17. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    You got a great deal @ $100.

I bought one new for $200. :oops: hahaha. Passed it on when I realized I just wasn't playing it much. I might try again at bass someday but it will likely be another short scaler. :cool: