Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Beat replacement decal fr this '79 Springy Tokai Springy sound.

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by FenderBNDR, Dec 1, 2017.

1. FenderBNDR

FenderBNDR Strat-Talker

Jan 8, 2016
    Ireland
    Hey all,

Who supplies the best quality Tokai replacement.

Here is a lovely 1979 Springy which sadly had in all probability its original decal partially removed and so I'd like to restore it.

received_1900155330024952.jpeg received_1900155326691619.jpeg

2. FenderBNDR

FenderBNDR Strat-Talker

Jan 8, 2016
    Ireland
    Same model as my '78 but it has a maple board.

FB_IMG_1508818473112.jpg

FB_IMG_1508818484866.jpg

3. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    You do see "replacement" Tokai decals for sale on eBay sometimes - save a search for "Tokai". Be careful on here though - the management are not happy about people discussing replacement Fender decals, presumably because they can be used to create fake Fenders. I'm not sure if they take the same view with what are (I assume) fake Tokai decals.

My Breezy TE120 (I think) was "Fenderised" by it's previous Japanese owner, & I have thought about replacing the Fender decal with a period correct Tokai decal. The problem is that it's hard to establish the date of the guitar in the absence of the original decal! So it might be the pre 1983 or the post 1983 Tokai Breezy decal, I'm really not sure which.

I have already replaced the Fender bridge it had with what I think is a period correct Tokai bridge. The previous owner seems to have gone to considerable lengths to hide the shame of owning a "mere Tokai". I wonder how he would feel if he knew that many of us regard that as a peculiar thing to do? Apart from anything else, Fender never made a Tele like this with the Martin-type abalone edge binding, so there's nothing else it could be apart from a top of the range Tokai Breezy.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2017
    FenderBNDR likes this.

4. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK

5. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2016
    Norway
    What was the tokai-shame thing?

Trying to fenderize a TE120?
    People did stupid things back then.

FenderBNDR likes this.

6. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Well you still get some people, even on here, who refer to a Tokai as a "cheap knock-off". In other words "not as good as a Fender". I bought the Breezy off Yahoo Japan as I recognised that it could only be a high level Tokai, even though the previous owner had done his best to make it look like it's a Fender. The Fender decal has been applied very carefully & skillfully.

FenderBNDR and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Certified Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Shops here weren't above putting Fender decals on Tokais and selling them for a Fender price. I bet @stratman323 could add some names to the ones I know for a fact did it.

FenderBNDR likes this.

8. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    Actually I don't think I could. I can think of a well known UK based blues player whose Gold Fender Strat is allegedly a re-badged Tokai, but I don't think I've ever heard of a fraud by a shop so blatant as the one you describe. Would this be a store in Leeds that went out of business?

FenderBNDR and Thrup'ny Bit like this.

9. Thrup'ny Bit

:thumb: They had a shop in Sheffield for a few years, until all their stock was seized.

FenderBNDR likes this.

10. stratman323

Apr 21, 2010
    London, UK
    That company sounded like really bad news.

FenderBNDR likes this.

11. Thrup'ny Bit

The stupid thing is that all the local guitarists knew what they were about and avoided them like the plague. Hopefully finally done with and water under the bridge.

FenderBNDR likes this.

12. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

Feb 12, 2016
    Norway
    In a fair and logical world I guess the pristine TE80 to 120 and the STs in same range, would be more colletible and even more valuable than their american counterparts. I have seen very few un-wiped or non-fendered 80s-82s..

FenderBNDR and felis like this.